The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

10/6/2004: Train t-bones car carrier

Thanks to Design Monkey for sending this along.

When a freight train hits a vehicle at a crossway, it's a really bad thing. When it hits a car carrier, it's a really, really bad thing. And when it hits a car carrier carrying five mint restored vintage sports cars, including three vintage Porsche 356 Speedsters, a T-6 and a 911 well, it's simply unfathomable.

(note: the guy in the shot there is not a victim, he's examining something.)

And here's the other side of the train.

It left a big piece of carrier stuck right in the undercarriage. They had to call in welders.

So what happened? Apparently, the train got hung up on the tracks while crossing them, because it didn't have enough clearance. The authorities called to stop all train traffic, but it wasn't in time to stop this train. And it all happened one block away from the vintage auto show where the cars had just been shown in their top condition.

Ironically, part of the train's freight was... cars.

The entire gallery

discussed in this thread
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

IT HURTS ME.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

The also had to re-rail the train - notice it's off the track?

BTW Notice how LITTLE damage was done to the train - if it's a tie, you lose
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I'm going to show this to a friend of mine, just to watch him have a heart attack. He's married to the notion of restored vintage cars. I'm such a bad person.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Cochese
Disorderly Orderly

They restored them once, they can restore them again.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

Hope they were insured as vintage vehicles!

I had a friend who was doing a complete restoration of a 1956 Mercedes 190 SL convertable. It was 90% done when during one night the voltage coil shorted out and caused a fire that charred the whole thing. Luckily he had it insured for $25,000 and made his claim and was reimbursed within a week to start the restoration over. Don't know what that did to his rate but I bet it went up!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Actually insuring old cars for a pre-agreed value, even a high value , is way cheaper than regular car insurance.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:47 PM   #8
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

That is enough to make a grown man cry !!!!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:09 AM   #9
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I couldn't live with myself if i was that train operator. Even more so if it was carrying Shelby Cobras
Old 10-07-2004, 11:56 AM   #10
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
I couldn't live with myself if i was that train operator. Even more so if it was carrying Shelby Cobras
Then I guess you can't be a train operator - One the average, a train engineer hits at least one PERSON during their work life. Yep - as in kills. Comes with the job
Old 10-07-2004, 12:22 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's typically not the engineer's fault, though. Those things don't stop on a dime.

Suicide by train is moderately popular amongst the extremely serious, although I do know one paraplegic and one double (arm) amputee who were unsuccessful.

A friend of mine drives trains for (a major rail company in the area). He had his first suicide about 3 or 4 years ago ... he'd been on the job for about 7 years that point. A lot of this old-timer coworkers were wondering when his streak would end. It fucked him up for a while, but he worked through it. (I did a little bit o' work with him on it. His employer "offered" some counselling, but it's one of those things that if you go for it, you reduce your chances of significant promotion ...)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
It's typically not the engineer's fault, though. Those things don't stop on a dime.
Oh so true...... People should look at Operation Lifesaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
A friend of mine drives trains for (a major rail company in the area). He had his first suicide about 3 or 4 years ago ... he'd been on the job for about 7 years that point. A lot of this old-timer coworkers were wondering when his streak would end. It fucked him up for a while, but he worked through it. (I did a little bit o' work with him on it. His employer "offered" some counselling, but it's one of those things that if you go for it, you reduce your chances of significant promotion ...)
Wish your friend well. Some of the Railroads have gotten around that the same way some police departments have gotten around the stigma of going for counselling after a shooting - they make it MANDITORY - even if you feel you don't need it - you have to go

As you might be able to tell, I'm a railfan - I feel for the Engineers. It a horrible spot to be put in. There is NOTHING they can do except hit the brake, and ride it out, and pick up the pieces after
Old 10-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I'm trying to imagine a reason to hit the brakes other than to stop for the paperwork.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:51 PM   #14
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

three words...hit and run.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?