The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #3106
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The notion that every concept has to be on a left-right line, with everyone falling exactly one place on the line and all reasoning being a debate between one side or the other... is some serious bullshit once you stop and think about it.
That's what he said, but recently in Congress, it seems if one side say they support something, the other side automatically are against it, even stupid little shit. That makes it look like fer us or agin us. Any Congress critter who agrees with the "enemy" gets jumped on by their party leaders and challenged at the next primary.
Quote:
Our educational system, our media, our entire society wants to push every single goddamn thing under the sun into this continuum.
That's true, they want to point out the differences aren't that great so there's no reason not to get along. Kumbaya.
However, isn't that what Congress is supposed to do? Hammer those differences into a workable plan... even if it takes fisticuffs on the floor?
In the past there has been a lot of horse trading in Washington, if you vote for my bill, I'll vote for yours. Even that seems to have disappeared in the current polarization. I get the feeling the populous isn't as polarized as the politicians, and are generally sick of it, except for maybe a pet peeve issue.

What I got out of it is all the polls and discussing voting blocs is bullshit, if it depends on taking their word for the size of any group and anyone's ability to predict the voting behavior of that group. Mostly because people who are assigned a group, really shouldn't be, and the ones who are don't agree on many issues. The only groups that are anywhere near reliable at the poles are the hard liners in each party, and they're pretty small. There's a whole lot of people who vote on single, or maybe two issues, with no thought to compromise. The Tea party and Trump have been very good at zeroing in on those hot buttons of the disgruntled. People who don't like this or that about the government but don't understand what's really going on, so they'll support anyone who claims to be able to fix it.

UT you have always shown a way above interest in the political system, and were in fact involved for awhile. Monkey has been close to the workings in DC by blood. You guys ain't normal.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #3107
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"Business Booms and Depressions Since 1775: An Accurate Charting of the Past and Present Trend of Prices, National Income, Federal Debt, Business, Stock Averages and Commodities with a Special Study of Wages and Postwar Industry," Tension Envelope Corporation, 1943.

Quote:
In 1943, as American businesses tried to guess whether wartime relief from the Depression would translate into postwar prosperity, the Tension Envelope Corporation printed this chart for customers. The infographic folded into a pamphlet and could be displayed on the wall when opened. (The online archive of the Federal Reserve, FRASER, has digitized a PDF of the pamphlet, which you can view here.)
I didn't bother with a link to the Fed PDF because it's too small to see shit. but further down the Slate article you can click on the chart to go to a zoomable version. Lot of history and a better picture of exactly what the "good old days" actually was like. So much information you can cherry pick support for any argument imaginable.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #3108
homemadetools
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I could spend some serious time at this site I just came across.

Home made tools forum.

All sorts of home made tools here, from your standard home made hand planes, to specialty tools like a pinion puller.
Jon here from HomemadeTools.net.

I know this thread is an old one, but thanks for the kind words

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

http://download.homemadetools.net/50MustReadTools.pdf

homemadetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #3109
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #3110
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'd cut someone slack for responding to a shout out from this site.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #3111
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Thanks Bruce!

Sent by thought transference
Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #3112
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I have been unsuccessful in finding a way to bring this video here.
www.facebook.com/prageru/videos/923232114386312/

Col. Ty Seidule, history professor at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, dispels any doubt the Civil War was about any thing but slavery. He shoots down States Rights, social differences, economic differences, and more.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #3113
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That was a good piece
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #3114
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I thought he sounded like he had fully worked through all the arguments and had formed solid responses. I had to laugh at him telling about the guy from Mississippi complaining about New York's states rights.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #3115
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I have been unsuccessful in finding a way to bring this video here.
Here's the video on Youtube. Their Youtube channel has many videos examining various issues.

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #3116
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excellent. I saw it embedded in a messy website which wouldn't give me the location. later I found the facebook location which was much cleaner to link. How did you locate it on youtube?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #3117
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I bet he went to YouTube and searched "Was the Civil War about slavery?".

Worked for me.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #3118
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Congratulations, Philly!! Ya made the top 200...and you're consistent!

Name:  Congrats Philly.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  28.0 KB

'Course, the top 32 woulda been even better...

Name:  Lexington oh yeah.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  18.5 KB

America's Best Drivers, according to Allstate

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #3119
glatt

I searched for the university website and then went to their link to their youtube videos.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #3120
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks glatt.