The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

If it's just because "they want one" then it should be treated like any other electronic toy with ongoing costs.

Our kids never asked for them -I don't think it ever occurred to them. It was a neat solution to a concern we had. If they want a phone to chat to their friends on with fancy features and the like, then they will have to get them as presents or with their own money, and use their pocket money to pay as they go. Which is outside their current realm of pocket money
Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

My son is 12, and he has a cell phone ( actually it is a hand me down one, when Dad wanted a fancier one)

It is a Virgin Pay as you go, and costs $2.50 a week ( we get a $15 card every 6 weeks for him) He has never used all his minutes, and is not allowed to take it to school. But when he goes to a friend's house, goes skating, to the store...etc its good to be able to get in touch with him. Also because it is dark so early its a good comfort zone for us as well. 5:30 PM is too early to tell a 12 year old he can not go 3 blocks to his buddy's house because it is dark. HEHEHEHE
The phone offers both us and him the security that we are not far away, and offers him the confidence to go places without mom or dad holding his hand.

When he starts using it more, then he will have to pay for the extra minutes, or the new phone on a plan... his choice. For now he has a way to contact us if needed, and that's all we need.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 AM   #18
the quill
basically poking my nose in

Hi, newbie first response. Just warning you.

My elder son didn't even ask for a phone; we got him one for his 13th birthday. We don't have a house line (being an entirely cellular family) so this allowed him to keep in touch when Mom & Dad were out at the market or (imagine) on a date.

He's had it for almost a year and it has been a helpful thing for all of us. He feels better, we feel better.

The "plan" for it is just like ours, but it's considered a $10/month extra phone for our household phone plan. We find it to be worth the money.
the quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #19
monster
I hear them call the tide

Hi quill, welcome to the cellar