The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Something smells fishy....

Dear Computer/Internet Whiz-Kids:

I recently applied online for a job and received this in response:

Quote:
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your intent on our job posting. I have read your resume and feel that you are qualified for the position. Due to the recent economic troubles, our company now requires all applicants to be in good credit standing before we interview you. You and 3 other candidates have been shortlisted for the job vacancy and will all be scheduled for an interview as soon as possible.

As part of the protocols of our growing company, we have deployed measures to ensure that the company is safe from any liabilities and problems from our employees, which includes getting your credit score checked.

In lieu to that, we have arranged a special free service for our applicants to get their credit checked with the following company: Credit Report

Once you have your credit check in place please send me an email confirmation as soon as possible and inform me about your credit score standing and then we will confirm your interview schedule. During the interview you will be asked to present the soft copy of your credit standing for company documentation and proof.
This all sounds quite suspicious to me. If they're legit, can't they run their own credit check?

I have not clicked the link because, well, I'm not entirely crazy. Suggestions?
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
glatt

link is to "tracking.strongerads.com?" Sounds like BS to me.

What was this, a "get rich from home in your spare time" type of thing?

Edit: Oh, and when we hire people, we do background checks on them, but they have to sign a paper form, and we only do it after the interview, and only if we like them and plan to hire them, because it isn't free.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

No way I would participate in that. Get away from that fast.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
link is to "tracking.strongerads.com?" Sounds like BS to me.
Yeah, I just reported it to Craigslist. The link address seems entirely odd, but I don't know much about such things, which is why I thought I'd seek outside advice! What I do know is I'm not about to go to some random/unknown website and hand over my SS number.

Quote:
What was this, a "get rich from home in your spare time" type of thing?
Nope, it seemed like an entirely legit ad for an office admin.

Quote:
Edit: Oh, and when we hire people, we do background checks on them, but they have to sign a paper form, and we only do it after the interview, and only if we like them and plan to hire them, because it isn't free.
Yeah, I've never had anyone tell me I need to present a credit report for an interview!

Thanks, guys!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Glad this was a business question, not a medical one...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Glinda

:p

I'm considering writing back to this person. Here's a draft:

Quote:
Dear Ms. McCathy:

Thank you for your encouraging message regarding my candidacy for the administrative position you currently have open.

I can certainly understand your grave concerns about hiring those with questionable credit references/records. And, in this terrible economy we must all be wary and watchful for those who would do us harm with internet fraud, fake job scams, and identity theft, so I know you will understand my equally grave concerns about being asked to go to some random website and hand over personal/financial information to complete strangers.

Because I am so careful, I'm afraid I cannot participate in your very odd "credit check." Certainly not until I know more about you personally, and the company for which you are hiring. What is your full name, address, and phone number, please (you've got mine, after all), and which company do you represent? Where is this company located? Who owns this company? Where can I go online to find out more about you, your employer, and your industry?

If you still feel my skills and background are a match for your employment needs, I am available for an interview at your convenience.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Personally, I would make it slightly less accusitory.
YOU know it's a response to a dodgy request, but if you are replying anyway, you may as well play it completely naive.
The 0.0001% chance that it is a real job will still be open to you, and if it's the 99.999% option that it's a scam, they will guess you're on to them anyway:
Quote:
Dear Ms. McCathy:

Thank you for your encouraging message regarding my candidacy for the administrative position you currently have open.

I can certainly understand your [grave] concerns about hiring those with questionable credit references/records. And, in this terrible economy we must all be wary and watchful for those who would do us harm with internet fraud, fake job scams, and identity theft, so I know you will understand my [equally grave] concerns about being asked to [go to some random website and hand over] provide personal/financial information via the internet [to complete strangers.]

[Because I am so careful,] I'm afraid I cannot participate in your [very odd "]credit check.[" Certainly not] until I know more about you personally, and the company for which you are hiring. What is your full name, address, and phone number, please [(you've got mine, after all),] and which company do you represent? Where is this company located? Who owns this company? Where can I go online to find out more about you, your employer, and your industry?

If you still feel my skills and background are a match for your employment needs, I am available for an interview at your convenience.
I can't remember how to cross things through, but you get the idea.
Point is, if they are dodgy, calling them on it doesn't get you anywhere anyway, so you may as well be straightforward, not narky and at least be satisified you spotted it.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Personally, I would make it slightly less accusitory.
YOU know it's a response to a dodgy request, but if you are replying anyway, you may as well play it completely naive.
The 0.0001% chance that it is a real job will still be open to you, and if it's the 99.999% option that it's a scam, they will guess you're on to them anyway:

I can't remember how to cross things through, but you get the idea.
Point is, if they are dodgy, calling them on it doesn't get you anywhere anyway, so you may as well be straightforward, not narky and at least be satisified you spotted it.
Yeah, you're right. Dammit. :p
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

As glatt stated, I have had to sign a relase form in original for all background checks of any kind. The company wants to relieve itself of responsibility for anything they find and be able to exclude you on those findings, so they are protecting themselves.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Glinda

As job scams go, this one is only somewhat dodgy. Check out the response I got from another "Administrative Assistant" job I applied to (the original job description seemed legit enough; don't know how it morphed into a "personal assistant" but whatever)!

Quote:
Hello ,

I am glad to hear from you as regards the position,it all about a Personal Assistant position. I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on a business trip but there is a test which i will like you to go through because i need a capable Personal Assistant.I am in England so there will be no interview
except for the form you will fill below.

1.Have you ever been a Personal Assistant ?

2.If you have been a Personal Assistant before,how long and was it
for a company or an individual?

3.Can you communicate effective and efficiently?

4.Are you Married or Single?
(with kids and how many)

4.Do you have a job as at now?

5.Will you be able to run errands 2 hours per day for and will be
needed 3 days per week?

6.Can you be able to meet up with time when needed?

7.Do you have any sort of Criminal record?

8.Are you Disable or not?

9.Level of Education?

I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience.

When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to within your locality. You don't have to put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your house and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content.

The content of the packages are computer and electronics, clothing's business and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me.I will pay $300.00 per week. i don't think this is a bad offer? I need your service because I am constantly out of town on business trip as I own a electronics and clothing store in Wales and England. I will return to USA in January so this process will be on going till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term.

Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position. I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready.No heavy packages are involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores. You will be shopping for Electronics and clothing's. I will provide you my personal UPS account number for Shipping. All
you have to do is provide my account number to UPS and shipping charges will be applied into the account. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them. If I were to mail you money to do my shopping plus up front payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? How
should your name appears on the paycheck? Maybe you can provide me with the following details below

Full Name:
Full Address:
(NO P.O.BOX)
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
Will be expecting to hear from you soon to let me know if you will be willing to handle my business on my behalf before I return.

Thanks so much and have a nice day
Now, who in their right minds would believe this pile o' crap was on the up and up?!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

Besides the rest of the rubbish:
Quote:
4.Are you Married or Single? (with kids and how many)
8.Are you Disable or not?
They can't legally ask you this. People should know that.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Question 4 is illegal in the UK!
ETA, Pie beat me to it.

Question 8 is permissable, but only phrased in a way that asks what the employer might need to do to accomodate your disability.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Q.4 is illegal here too.
Q.8 is grammatically incorrect.
Q.9 is a sentence fragment.

Even if it was a real job, the person is a twerp.

Good luck in finding a real job, Glinda, I'm glad to see you have your eyes open.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

Right, the factor is the ability to do the job. If I have a bad back, it might preclude me from taking a heavy-lifting job with a moving company -- but not a typist/dispatcher position.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i can run your credit for you
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote