The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

July 23, 2010: Cow Wash

DeLaval, the manufacturer, calls this a Cow Wash, but there's no water or other fluids involved.
So it's not really washing the cows, it's brushing them clean, and a massage to boot.

Anyway, she must like it because she looks orgasmic.

Quote:
'The bristles have the right length and hardness to stimulate the blood circulation whilst helping the cow to keep clean and calm.
'It is very popular among dairy farmers. Cows using the swinging cow brush are cleaner, calmer and therefore more balanced.'
A study conducted by scientists in the USA found the brush resulted in better animal health due to an increase in blood circulation.
It also concluded that cows using the machine were 34 per cent less likely to suffer from clinical mastitis - a condition which results in milk abnormalities.
The research team also reported increased milk production of up 3.5 per cent for cows in a pen using the swinging cow brush.
And it feels goooood. Speaking of feeling good, DeLaval also makes milking machines.

link
via
Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Now that is what I call a happy meal.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Bliss!

It's whats for breakfast!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
SPUCK
Professor

http://www.youtube.com/v/VpjCQD8ynZE

Cow brush movie.

Hey how do you post a youtube window?? Nothing seemed to work for me.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

But of course they'd love it. Herd animals generally enjoy contact with each other (licking, using someone's shoulder to rub their face, etc.). Hard to interact with each other much when kept in factory conditions, or take advantage of twigs and tree bark to scratch those hard-to-get-at itches. The benefit comes more from psychological health than improved blood circulation, I'd bet.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't know of any dairy farms over here where the cows are kept in pens. All the ones I know of just arrive to be milked at their time and then head out to eat grass again.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Same here, Ali, pasture until milking time in the summer. But in the winter when the grass doesn't grow, either in a barn/shed or a pen, being fed hay and stuff. DeLaval, introducing these to Britain, said they've sold 30,000 in Sweden, where I imagine dairy cattle are penned up more of the year.

In the Cornell University study, the four groups were "penned" to keep them separated for something like seven months, but that could have been separate pasture. Although, it was central New York state, so maybe not.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Dairy cows are allowed more pasture around here, too, but the pastures don't have a lot things to scratch an itchy neck on. Barbed wire and metal posts wouldn't give the same relief, and what cow can schedule her desire for contact? Makes me wonder if increased milk production and level of health is greater than predicted for family cows and show animals that get more interaction. I still think it's primarily a psychological benefit, but I have just recently finished another book by Temple Grandin, too.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

DeLaval is being a little devious here, or the reporter didn't get it. In the study, only second lactation cows increased production, there was no change in first lactation or third on up. It did result in a 34% drop in mastitis for all groups though, and thats attributed to better mental health... A happy cow is a healthy cow.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
newtimer
Operations Operative

The brushes must be working. Just look at all that crap on the wall.
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toranokaze View Post
Now that is what I call a happy meal.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

And, just cuzz I think it's funny as hell, The Gargling Cow. (That last cow does an astounding impersonation of a COCK!)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
Kasszia
Lurking for fun and profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post

Cow brush movie.

Thanks for posting this Spuck. I was wondering how that worked. I bet my horse would love this!
Kasszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post

Cow brush movie.

Ok, here's your link-->http://www.youtube.com/v/VpjCQD8ynZE.

Copy the 'VpjCQD8ynZE' part. Then click the YouTube logo in the text box where you type your reply. In between the bracketed text that pops up, paste the part you just copied. Viola!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
Cloud

I want one! Bet it would be great inna shower. My cat (no longer plural) would love a mini one.