The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Drax
Banned

Are you green?

Environmentally speaking.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'm pink.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

I'm more of a crimson.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
NoBoxes

I used to be olive drab, spent a lot of time in the environment, and always used catholes.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Purple.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Buffalo Bill
Resident President

I recycle twice as much as my neighbors, so, I think that I can say that I'm greener than most.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

I'm wearing a green shirt today...
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

I put hippies in recycling machines.
Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

I try constantly to go without, reuse, reduce, & recycle, but the cans/jars bin attracted mice in the garage and I set traps. That probably undoes all the positive effort, but we will be using a big covered waste bin (once we finish using it on another project) to save cans/jars/ and the future mice. So I'm cat-eye green.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
glatt

Great way to be green is to stop throwing stuff away. Fix it instead. And buy stuff that can be fixed whenever possible.

I just repaired some old stereo speakers by installing new foam surrounds. Saved about 30 pounds from the landfill, saved the pollution associated with manufacturing new speakers in China, and saved a couple hundred bucks.

Am I green? No. But I try.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Great way to be green is to stop throwing stuff away. Fix it instead. And buy stuff that can be fixed whenever possible.

I just repaired some old stereo speakers by installing new foam surrounds. Saved about 30 pounds from the landfill, saved the pollution associated with manufacturing new speakers in China, and saved a couple hundred bucks.

Am I green? No. But I try.
Attached Images

Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Recently moved from a town that still had a cobbler. We had several pairs of shoes and other leather items repaired or resoled at his shop, and only cost a couple of bucks. He was an old man, though, and is going to die with no apprentice to take over. It's a shame that old skills are going like that. We need Foxfire books for these times. Author! Author!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
Cloud

I use compact fluorescent bulbs, and I use my pressure washing machine and spin dryer, which uses soooo much less water and electricity. But I throw away too much stuff. Whatever happened to trash compactors?

I recently read a story (sorry, can't remember where) about a guy fighting his garbage bill because he generates -- NO -- garbage. None. I'm thinking, how is this possible?

I bet they could reduce waste drastically by charging by volume. (Or do they--dunno, I live in apartment.)
Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I recently read a story (sorry, can't remember where) about a guy fighting his garbage bill because he generates -- NO -- garbage. None. I'm thinking, how is this possible?
I put out one bag of trash every three weeks or so, but pay the same as my neighbors that put out five or six barrels every week.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We (HM & I) generate a small carrier bag worth of landfill between us every two weeks - mostly packaging that states it cannot be recylced, and a litter bit of cat litter.

I always take my own bags to go shopping and don't use any extra packaging in store (ie separate bags for fruit & veg, bakery items)
We use energy saving light bulbs and always run a full load if using the dishwasher, turn lights off when leaving rooms and (on my part) keep any heating to an absolute minimum.

I'm not very green, but I do try my best to consider the impact of my actions on the environment on a daily basis. Sometimes it takes someone else to point it out to me (like not running water while I clean my teeth) but I reckon I have the big things nailed.