The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 25th, 2016: Sleepbus

There have been many long distance bus services with sleeping arrangements.
This is they latest to toss their hat in the ring, a Volvo truck with sleeping pods, between LA and 'Frisco for $48.

Quote:
Each pod has an electric socket (so you can power and charge your devices while under way) and there's on-board wifi, desks should you prefer to sit up and work, coffee and tea, and room for three bags and even a bicycle in the luggage compartment. The whole trip takes about seven hours, which is a bit longer than the typical hour-and-twenty-minute flight between LAX and SFO, even once you take into account extra time for check-in, clearing security, and transit. But the SleepBus travels overnight, so you leave one city at 11 pm and arrive at the other end by 6 am.
Plus they'll even let you stay on board until 7:30 if you want to sleep in a little.
Weather and traffic permitting, but taking your bike is cool for people wanting to pedal their ass at the other end.

Quote:
To get the word out, the company is offering one-way trips for $48. That's expected to go up to $65 once things are fully up and running, but that's still cheaper than the cheapest nonpromotional airfare you're going to find, even on a budget carrier like Southwest. Add in the convenience of its pickup and drop-off locations at the Caltrain station in San Francisco and the Santa Monica Pier in LA and the SleepBus strikes us as a viable alternative to air travel, and a far better option than the Greyhound – at least until the high-speed train is complete.
I wonder how much longer is really is when you don't have to deal with the TSA, or check your bike?
I don't see any seatbelts or drug dogs... yet.
The two guys starting this venture say they think it's viable system for cities under 400 miles apart, and they are pursuing a new
suspension system by BOSE.

link
Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #2
burns334
High Propagandist

I like it but it sounds to cheap, you get a room for the night and end up at destination. Heck, gas from LA to SF by car has to be $40
burns334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
glatt

I also think it sounds a little too cheap. Are they going to hire someone to clean the bus in between trips and change the sheets and pillowcases? Fuel costs, driver wages, housekeeping. The margins seem really narrow even at $65/ticket.

I have to assume they have done the math and have thought of all this, but I dunno. Looks like the bus only sleeps 12, but hard to tell from the pictures.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm sure if it becomes popular there will be people willing to sit at the table or share a bunk with a "buddy". I guess there would some sort of steward to keep everyone honest and quiet. This could develop a hundred different ways.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I bet that thing is an absolute bitch to drive anywhere but in a straight line.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
glatt

And likely to bottom out in the rear if it is driving up a curb cut into a gas station or similar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Shouldn't be harder than a big bus to maneuver. Not a city rig, carefully chosen routes and terminations.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Looks like it's just a tour bus that they've figured out how to rent out. What do you think all of the rock stars sleep on when they're criss-crossing the country on tour?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:35 AM   #9
SPUCK
Professor

Great idea! I truly hope it works out.
Personally I think $65 one way is a steal for that miserable trip.

I shan't hold my breath for the $70B farm screwing rat-hole of a train-to-nowhere either.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think the $65 is the rate they set to attract enough riders for them to become a word of mouth network. I'm sure it'll go up, but if they can make money at less than $100, it should be a hit.
One site mentioned it's not a long wheelbase bus, but a close coupled truck and trailer. They may have been talking out their ass, but if that's true, there are all kinds of state laws about people riding in trailers. I don't know where CA stands on that. I can't imagine them starting this venture without looking into it.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:48 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

If it's a trailer, wouldn't that mean the end swings a lot more on turns and lane changes? I bet it's not a quiet ride.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A trailer with the center of mass forward of the axle doesn't wander, it will follow a predictable path. The trailer axle will follow a shorter radius on sharp turns like intersections, and closer to that of the tractor anywhere else.
I know an empty uhaul behind a car sometimes looks like a balloon pulled by a string, but heavy rigs don't behave that way. The rig would have to be driven aggressively/recklessly, for that to happen.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
One site mentioned it's not a long wheelbase bus, but a close coupled truck and trailer.
If it is indeed a "close coupled truck and trailer" there's some amazing technology going on there, because the truck part only has one axle.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's what made me think they were talking out their ass.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
If it is indeed a "close coupled truck and trailer" there's some amazing technology going on there, because the truck part only has one axle.
We have articulated busses here with three axles, and it's the single axle "trailer" that has the motor, rear drive, pushing the bus.

Freaky.