The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Cellar.org hacked or compromised in some way?

I received an Email at the address registered with the Cellar in the early hours of this morning. It's headed 'To: Carruthers The Cellar'.

The sender is supposedly another named Dwellar and the second half of the address would appear to be a Japanese institution.

The sole text is a link which, when opened in private browsing, triggers an AVG message 'We've safely aborted the connection on inx.lv because it was infected with 'URL:Phishing'.

I've run both AVG and Malwarebytes scans and nothing untoward is revealed.

Any thoughts, please?
Old 08-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I don't know about the site being hacked.

However, it is trivial to spoof the sending name and sending domain on a piece of email. If you have not suffered any ill consequences from clicking on the link, you're probably ok.

Standard procedure in cases like this would indicate that you should change your email password immediately, at a minimum. You were prudent to run the malware scan. Depending on how seriously you take this stuff.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Not only could your email account have been hacked and your email address book compromised, any dwellar with whom you've had email correspondence could've had their email account hacked and their address book (with you and other Cellar contacts) compromised.

If it's The Cellar that was compromised, there would be/will be not only those who have exchanged emails getting those emails; also, dwellars who haven't done email exchanges with other dwellars would get them.

That; or, it's Zengum and the rascal has gone back to work in Japan.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I don't know about the site being hacked.

However, it is trivial to spoof the sending name and sending domain on a piece of email. If you have not suffered any ill consequences from clicking on the link, you're probably ok.

Standard procedure in cases like this would indicate that you should change your email password immediately, at a minimum. You were prudent to run the malware scan. Depending on how seriously you take this stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Not only could your email account have been hacked and your email address book compromised, any dwellar with whom you've had email correspondence could've had their email account hacked and their address book (with you and other Cellar contacts) compromised.

If it's The Cellar that was compromised, there would be/will be not only those who have exchanged emails getting those emails; also, dwellars who haven't done email exchanges with other dwellars would get them.

That; or, it's Zengum and the rascal has gone back to work in Japan.
Thank you, gentlemen.

Virus and malware scans reveal nothing nasty so that may well point to a Dwellar having had his/her address book accessed.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I am/was the named Dwellar, and have had a look into my system via AVG and no threats were found. Also no messages resembling Carruthers' in my inbox.

I think it was probably one of those things like when ya look at a chainsaw somewhere online, and then you're bombarded with chainsaw ads from all over.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It's the cyber division of INTERPOL messing with y'all cause they're on to the two of you.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Im sorry this happend buddy,I have gotton those also...

Just bin it
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote