The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #9661
Nirvana
Back in 10

Super pissed! no direct deposit paycheck yet, they owe me two. Pay schedule is one week arrears I started Jan 2nd. Of course no one answers in HR or payroll...
Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #9662
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

WTF 'Vana?

I think it's sort of illegal to not pay your employees. What kind of Candyland is that?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #9663
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Hopefully they wont put her in the hotbox if she tries to run off!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #9664
Nirvana
Back in 10

Thank you Ali I need that guffaw... IM I have no idea what the problem is seems not many work on Friday WTF no one was in to talk to and they are closed in the office til Mon. I am venting so I will not be super pissed when I have to go back to work on Mon.

Yesterday the drive thru dude at McDs shorted me $10 WTF! When I parked and went in the nite manager went to count the drawer and claimed it was right and never came back out to see me but sent the assistant manager out to take down my name and number ... with a fucking crayon!!! She could spell neither my first or my last name... I took the paper from her took out my pen showed it to her first {because maybe she only knew how to write with crayons} and proceeded to write down my name and phone number. The general manager called me this AM informing me to come in and get my $10 apologizing while telling me they were changing shifts at the time and a dude was not even supposed to be at the window. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE MAKING OUR FOOD! Ok sorry done with that rant ...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #9665
Nirvana
Back in 10

To be clear I won't be strapped without the money, I worked hard they should pay me. I don't feel as happy about my job as I did, they ruined it for me and that is what makes me really mad. This is not their first f up. For the first 3 days me and the other part timers had no ID number to punch in and out. Our shift boss was to take care of posting our hours.

The second day my husband came to pick me up not familiar with the place went in the wrong side of the horseshoe drive no one there to bother he parked. Out comes the security guard and says "Hey You! Can you read?" Really? people talk that way to people they do not know in dark parking lots? What is my husband 4 years old? My husband told him he may not want to go there and the guy backed off. Respect is a two way street. The enter and exit signs are smaller than 8x10. These are all just annoying things but no pay really is the icing on the turd.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #9666
monster
I hear them call the tide

Vana I had the same shit when I did a temp job in the fall. Do you check your mail regularly? In the end they sent me a check for the first payroll. But they didn't tell me they were going to do that. Lots of others didn't get their checks for ages after because their addresses were incorrect or they didn't check their mail
Old 01-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #9667
Nirvana
Back in 10

That is a good idea Monster except all payroll is direct deposit. What makes me a bit paranoid is that last week all the paid associates had a mistake on their checks. The company was to reimburse them for something [like $30 bucks] and the amount was instead deducted and I know my cow orkers were not very happy. Since I do not work Thursday or Friday I have no idea if that mistake was corrected in this week's pay.

Oh and the health insurance offered in my letter they sent to have me work was also OOPSY a mistake I am surprised at the incompetence at the management level of a business that has existed since the '50's. Maybe I just notice these things because I am not the typical, barely high school educated, employee.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #9668
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You've got every right to be pissed. Even though you'll not starve, it's showing you from the gitgo that this is a sloppy organization, and you can expect more of the same.

Of course once you're aware and have lower expectations of normal business practice, the job may work out to be tolerable anyway. You may even be able to use the sloppiness to your advantage. You mentioned they've been around since the 50's, probably momentum and habit prevents crash and burn.

Talk to your boss about hiring Monster to kick ass and take names.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #9669
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Nirvana, I've had countless petty problems with shift rotas, overtime payments and even claiming prizes in my job. At one point Mum even suggested I looked for a better run place to work, and she's very rarely on my side.

My most recent gripes; coming back from booked and sanctioned holiday to find my first shift had been changed. No-one contacted me, no-one told me. A hour before I finished work a colleague queried why I started three hours later than I was supposed to. Huh.

Then I found out exactly how much holiday pay I've lost.
I knew I'd lose some, because I was more interested in being at work with the potential for overtime than I was sitting at home listening to the rows. Bu I was never told I was actually accruing time for every Bank Holiday I worked (these are always on a Monday so I always work them) and for Christmas working. Great communication there chaps. Altogether I've kissed off about two weeks of leave.

And then. And then.
My shifts have changed again.
Because now I'm covering bakery for two days a week.
That I can deal with. It's just I found out that the reasons for this and my previous change in working hours.
I started on morning shifts, was switched to afternoons because of a male colleague.
Got shifted and shafted into the unpopular close-down slot because another colleague couldn't get picked up by her parents that late and am now on the earliest of early shifts because previously mentioned male colleague has moved further away from work and can't leave home as early as I can.

I'm flexible and I like to think I'm quite reasonable. What I doon't like is being bottom of the needs list, when in fact I do have a valid case for keeping my shifts the same week in and week out.

Anyway. What I actually meant to say was that despite all this, I do enjoy my job and I have learned to let other people's mistakes wash over me, mostly. I've just learned to keep a very close eye out.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #9670
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ugh. I got enough to live off for a while, but I need to get back into the backstab-force, I mean workforce, so to save some of my money should I ever retire. I should feel proud for all the good the money they stole from me did for the students, I'm sure. rackin' frackin' varmints. :yosemitesamsmilie:

It should be like the military: the sooner you start the sooner you can retire. I'd be retired for about 5 years by now.

Spring. I'll be able to deal with it in the spring.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #9671
Nirvana
Back in 10

Good idea Bruce! They supposedly pay me $250 for every work referral that lasts 6 months how long do you think Monster would work without a paycheck?

Sundae doncha hate having to have a 3rd eye? Bottom of the needs list indeed! That is what really annoys me.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #9672
Nirvana
Back in 10

Question: what if I go in on Mon still having not received my pay [ hoping they correct it during the day Mon., I work 2nd shift] and HR tells me that now they have to pay my this Friday? Should I :
1) Insist on immediate pay
2) Quit
3) Grease up and take it
Old 01-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #9673
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

"1) Insist on immediate pay"

Most large businesses aren't set up to make immediate payments. It's usual and customary for them to have until the next paycheck to correct deficiencies from the previous pay period. If you insist on immediacy, your first paycheck may also be your last one there.

"2) Quit"

Quitting with no notice over one late paycheck will work against you everywhere else. You can tell them that if your pay isn't corrected on the next paycheck, such a breach would constitute their waiver of any requirement for advanced notice of resignation.

"3) Grease up and take it"

If they brush you off, tell them you're going to the local unemployment office this week to claim benefits for the weeks they haven't paid you. If they know you're willing to go to an affiliate of your State's Labor Department with the issue, it may motivate them to correct the deficiency expeditiously. Of course, it won't help if they're in financial trouble for which, btw, messing with employees' paychecks is an indicator. If you want to get nasty, tell them you're going to turn the amount in arrears over to a collection agency (which they know will reflect on their credit rating).
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #9674
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

4.) Demand compounded interest.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #9675
Nirvana
Back in 10

Sexobon I entered into an implied contract when I was hired "I work you, pay me" This is an "at will" employer they could fire me for no reason and I may quit for no reason, at any time, they do not need to give reason nor do I.

My first day was Jan 2nd. My pay was to be 1 week in arrears, I should have been paid on Jan 10th. When I was not paid on Jan 17th I find them in breach of "our contract" I personally think they need to pay me ASAP or our working relationship is no longer.

I already looked up the Wage and Hourly division laws in the state of Indiana. However I do think they will pay me but they have ruined any incentive I might have had to go beyond what may be asked of me in their work environment.

For some reason10 new hires did not show up for orientation and I suspect they could not pass the drug screen. Finding people to suit them seems a bit tough for them and all their hoops one must jump.

The fact that they pay you to sit through videos on orientation [4 hours] safety in the work place, charity works they are doing in other states, and how to treat fellow employees leads me to believe they do have the money to pay their people they just have as Bruce declared, sloppy management right now.

I already thought of interest

They do give you a voucher for prescription safety glasses as long as you buy them at WalMart. I have been there twice but feel reluctant to purchase when I have not been paid

Tags
swiss