The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-30-2004, 07:56 PM   #76
mrnoodle
bent

My favorite town was Creede, followed by South Fork. The latter was already turning into some kind of retirement haven by the time I left in 95 (I was only there for a year). I'm afraid it's probably worthless by now. I liked Pagosa Spgs alot too - we used to have an archery tournament in the early fall there that was my favorite event of the year.

I live in Ft. Collins now, way up north. When I get rich again I'm going to move to a cabin in the San Juans and telecommute. I can send in projects by carrier pigeon until they get a phone line up to me.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:15 AM   #77
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

Songline for Wolf Creek Pass

Actually, I meant "Black Bear Road" but that's also not the lyrics I know for "Wolf Creek Pass".

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #78
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnoodle
My favorite town was Creede, followed by South Fork. The latter was already turning into some kind of retirement haven by the time I left in 95 (I was only there for a year). I'm afraid it's probably worthless by now. I liked Pagosa Spgs alot too - we used to have an archery tournament in the early fall there that was my favorite event of the year.

I live in Ft. Collins now, way up north. When I get rich again I'm going to move to a cabin in the San Juans and telecommute. I can send in projects by carrier pigeon until they get a phone line up to me.
I haven't been up to Creede lately, but I've written off Pagosa. It now has THREE traffic lights and actual traffic jams. Durango has simply become an Eastern extension of L.A., plus the forest fire near there a few years back was really destructive. I drive thru Durango with my eyes closed these days. The place I'd like to go is either Norwood or Dolores and become a roving correspondent for THE SAN JUAN HORSE SHOE

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

Actually, I meant "Black Bear Road" but that's also not the lyrics I know for "Wolf Creek Pass".
No, I believe there's a country-western song (an old one) by the name of "Wolf Creek Pass." I got a bit self-indulgent there and put in a poem I'd written some years back that is done to the music from Jean Luc Ponty's "Civilized Evil" album.

Last edited by marichiko; 05-01-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #79
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I didn't realize that was your work ... cool. Thanks for sharing it with us.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #80
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Black Bear Road

By Bill Fries & Chip Davis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me an' R.J. an' the kids was on a camp out in the mountains, an' we had us one a' them U-Drive-'Em Army Jeep cars which we had rented from a fella by the name a' Kuboske for thirty bucks a day, buy yer gas along the way, take a rabbit's foot, an' leave a pint a' blood for a deeposit

An' he'd 'splained it all to us how we's 'sposed to git to Telluride, which was fifty miles away by way of the regular highway, however there was a short-cut, BUT, unless we had drove the Black Bear Road before, we'd be, well, we'd be better off to stay in bed an' sleep late (now pay no 'ttention to the guitar there)

Well we took up off'n th' highway, an we come upon a sign sez "Black Bear Road - You Don't Have To Be Crazy To Drive This Road, But It Helps", I sez to, R.J. this must be the short cut road Kuboske's a talkin' about. She didn't pay no mind 'cause she's busy makin peanut butter sanwiches for the kids in the back seat, throwin' rocks, an' drinkin' KoolAid, an' playing "Count The License Plates On Cars", but they wasn't a havin' too much fun playin' Count The License Plates On Cars, well 'cause there wern't no other cars

Went about a mile an' a half, in about four hours, busted off the right front fender, an' tore a hole in the oil pan on a rock as big as a hall closet, went over a bump an' spilt the Kool-Aid, an' Roy Gene stuck his bolo knife right through the convertible top, an' the dog threw up all over the back seat (peanut butter don't agree with him see)

So we had to stop, an' take off the top, an' air everything out, an' clean it up. The dog run off, an' R.J. sez she felt her asthma comin' on. I's settin' there wonderin' what to do, when the en-tire scenic San-Gee-Juan U-Drive-'Em Army Jeep Car sank in the mud (at thirteen thousand feet above sea level!)

Well we shoveled it out, an' ate our lunch, the dog made a yellow hole in the snow, an' Roy Gene got out his Instamatic an' took a snapshot of it. Mary Elizabeth drawed a picture of the road. It looked like a whole bunch of Zs an' Ws all strung together, an' R.J. took one look at that picture, and said the only way she's goin' down that Jeep car road 'as over her dead body, an' then a rock slipped out from under the wheel, and the U-Drive-'Em Army Jeep Car, well it went right over, right over the edge of a cliff (Whah-Haa-Haa-Haa-Hoo-Hoo-Hoo)

Doggonit Roy Gene, when I tell ya to put a rock under the wheel, I mean ROCK, now look at that what you had there ain't no bigger then a grapefruit !
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #81
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I love CW McCall. Is this going to affect my overall cool score?

Old 05-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #82
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Finish up or down?
up by a bit, but too damn sloppy tired to care.

the guy who cleaned up crashed 4 guys in a row with all-ins, and left up about 30k or so.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:49 AM   #83
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Mostly dork, but I have two coolness bits.

I write shrink-wrap software for a living and have worked for very cool companies - Aldus, Spyglass. I now work for a semi-cool company - SPSS. [Very cool if you're into statistics]

I play bass in a jazz group. We're just a local band, but we have fun - and jazz is always cool.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:55 AM   #84
jinx
Come on, cat.

I can burp really loud.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:57 AM   #85
Yelof
neither here nor there

In University I used SPSS a lot, I was quite good a using it, it made it look like I almost understood the statistical reports I was creating. Makes you cool in my book.

Last edited by Yelof; 05-02-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Yelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #86
jaguar
whig

The view from my balcony:

I guess that makes the balcony cool though.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #87
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
The view from my balcony:

I guess that makes the balcony cool though.
(sigh) That makes me homesick for Switzerland. It also makes you cool in my book, anyhow.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:56 PM   #88
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

This is my backyard

Does that make my lungs cool?

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #89
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

(sigh) That makes me homesick for Switzerland. It also makes you cool in my book, anyhow.
It makes his PARENTS cool, anyway.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:15 PM   #90
jaguar
whig

Quote:
It makes his PARENTS cool, anyway.
It's not my parents, they don't even live in the same country. (thank god)