The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
blue
Operations Operative

Severe weather

I'm seeing a potential for massive storms in the midwest tonight and thru tomorrow. I'm a bit of a weather buff and follow these things closely, and we haven't even had a good kick ass thunderstorm here yet.

I definately think this weekend has death, chaos and destruction written all over it. I've been making these kinds of predictions for years now, and to date...haven't been right once.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You should have been in my part of the country last May...wow.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's currently a beautiful night at the Palatial Estate...cloudy, a bit humid, but no rain in sight...72 degrees.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

The severe weather doesn't bother me half as bad as the freaking weathermen pimping a rainshower up to be the next F5 killer. I know they have spent bazillions on Doppler 10000 Viper NexRad gizmos, but they don't have to break in every 5 mins to report live footage of some suspicious clouds. I know they want to warn people to seek shelter as early as possible, but they are coming close to crying wolf too often.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #5
blue
Operations Operative

Oh fuck..sorry, I have nothing to add but JeepnGeorge just cracked me up, too true..thanks for the laugh!
Old 04-24-2004, 10:39 AM   #6
blue
Operations Operative

Hi folks, yes I'm still alive, just haven't had time to post all week.

And yeah, damn, my prediction came a little close for comfort...one woman did die next county over, fair amount of damage, we were OK tho, in fact I slept through it.

The non-stop wind in the 12 hours before the squall line came through was pretty freaky here and since I'm surrounded by fields it was like a desert sandstorm, gusts up to 60mph.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
marichiko

We've been having lots of fun with our 2 feet of heavy spring snow here in Colorado. We even got to have those cute little national weather service messages scrolling across our TV screens. " Two feet of snow predicted for mountains!" Like people who live in the Colorado mountains are going to be all perplexed and amazed at the sight of white flakes falling out of the sky! Its all melting today, tho. Oh well, easy come, easy go. I suppose the National weather service will now have to scroll little warnings about spring run off.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Telefunken
Going for the DX

You guys in tornato alley should join your local Skywarn chapter. Not only do you get bullshit-free weather reporting but you do your part to give everyone a "heads up".
Telefunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:37 PM   #9
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

ah weather.. here it's sprinkling.. I'm really looking forward to a decent storm though.. one of the coolest things I've seen thusfar has been when I was living in Scarolina and the hurricane seasons of 95-96 wow... when the national guard came rolling thu town blaring on the mega-phones that we needed to "get out or we'll issue you a toe tag" .. pretty slick.. we stayed and had a toe-tag party.. bbquing and watching the storm roll right past, amazing.. ya know i've seen more than my fair share of tornadoes, but seeing some that were 100 miles across or more was an awesome sight.. heh didn't help that the highest poin ton the island was 12 feet above sea level.. I dunno I'm babbling again