The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #91
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Here's my unhelpful hot take on Andrew Yang: everyone's all, "ooh, he won't wear ties, he's hip and an independent thinker"... Bullshit. He won't wear ties because he has an insanely thick neck and would look ridiculous, assuming he could get the top button closed at all.
I mean, he does look like he has a powerful neck, but.. men's dress shirts come in sizes based on two dimensions-- arm length and neck circumference.

(which are independently variable)
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #92
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sure, but there are limits. Pants come in measured lengths, too, but the 6'7" basketball player isn't going to find anything on the rack at Macy's. Andrew Yang is the LeBron of necks.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #93
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Television coverage of Bernie Sanders typically focuses on his presentations to large groups of people in auditoriums; that format almost of necessity requires shouting a series of brief soundbites and standard phrases.It is so refreshing to listen to this format rather than to shouting from a podium.

I know most readers of TYWKIWDBI will skip this post entirely, but I encourage everyone to at least try the first 5-10 minutes. Turn it on while you fix a lunch or do laundry. This video gives a better sense of the man and his mindset than anything else I have encountered.

Just try ten minutes. Even if you don't like him.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #94
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Bernie's heart is clearly in the right place.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #95
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Meanwhile, Biden is no Joltin' Joe.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #96
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bernie is a resolute economic illiterate. Bernie's supporters -- even worse.

Of AOC, for another, we may describe her as actively devoted to the elimination worldwide of all economies. No mere economic illiterate she, but an active saboteuse.

The Soviet Union used to indict "wreckers," which seems generally to be some kind of economic crime. Of course, in old Sovietskii Soyuz, political incorrectness was a jailing offense.

It's easy to see an intent to be a "wrecker" in AOC's plan.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 08-14-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 AM   #97
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why is Bernie an economic illiterate, he says what he wants to do and where the money will come from?
Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #98
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
These are Democratic Trump voters. It appears Democratic Trump voters are most likely to be Bernie voters in the Primary.
One of the weirder predictors for Bernie support in the 2016 primary was counties that voted for non-Obama candidates in the 2012 primary. These are voters that have been voting for Republicans in general elections since Reagan, but remain registered Democrats. In the primaries, they file protest votes. I'd wager that a lot of the Bernie-Trump voters also voted for Clinton in 2008.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #99
glatt

Just saw on the little TV on the elevator that Warren and Biden are in a virtual tie.

I predict Warren will get the nomination. It's early still, and odds are against my prediction, but I think she is the primary candidate to beat. Biden has the cash to do some damage, but I think he won't be successful.

I'm a Bernie supporter, and I loathe age discrimination, but I really wonder about his age. If elected, would he live out his term?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 AM   #100
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Why is Bernie an economic illiterate, he says what he wants to do and where the money will come from?
Money enough to do what he wants to do is not where he says it will come from, and more than a few people of good sense would take exception to the theft and they'd do something about it.

Run the numbers once, sift the discussion if you can't run numbers. You will cease to believe in Bernie.

I'm already there.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #101
Flint
Snowflake

Virtually all of our beloved tax dollars are going to obscene corporate welfare, currently. We should have billions of dollars just "laying around" if it wasn't being funneled directly into offshore tax havens and stock buybacks. The constitution defines the government's taxation powers-- and we're doing the COLLECTING part, we just aren't using the money for the "general welfare" of the PEOPLE who are getting taxed. It's really not radical to suggest evaluating where our tax dollars are being spent.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #102
Urbane Guerrilla

I would also prefer never to bloat the government Leviathan. This tends to cause, not cure, social ills.

The "general welfare of the PEOPLE" is best served by "the PEOPLE," in business interaction, without the twostepping intercession of the State. This attitude comes of refusing to be a statist, mind you.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #103
glatt

I guess when PG&E burns down the town of Paridise CA, those customers can just express their displeasure by switching to another power company.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #104
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I guess when PG&E burns down the town of Paridise CA, those customers can just express their displeasure by switching to another power company.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #105
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hey UG

This country is not the economy, stupid.

It's the people.
I put it to you that the economy is the people and the people are the economy, and the nation is the people is the economy. In human endeavors, can you actually part any of these? -- I don't think so.

Quote:
And the people who are devoted to the ideals that inspire and sustain this country. Look to our motto, "E Pluribus Unum". We are the many; Trump is Unum.

Trump is the alpha and the omega of his universe. He is literally one. He sees everything around him in the context of himself. His narcissism makes him incapable of comprehending, much less serving the public good--even for your touted economy.
Events show this to be utter nonsense. as put out by the nakedly prejudiced and moronically anticapitalistic -- after all, Trump loves America, as his regrettable predecessor did not. If you aren't down with capitalism, you are not down with life or creation, but rather death and rationing. No good.

And I haven't voted for Trump. Not yet, anyway...

Quote:
I do not seek to persuade you. I would guide you and teach you by example and instruction, but any gains accrued by you must be earned by you. I can't do it for you.
By example? You should be guided by mine. I am not here to steer you wrong; you should not entertain that idea. Don't degrade yourself doing that.