The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #61
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Arlington County Virginia has just asked homeowners to please stop it with the spring cleaning during the Coronavirus lock down.

They are being completely overwhelmed with garbage pickup, and have announce that they will temporarily suspend collecting mattresses, furniture, and appliances.

I have to laugh because it's true. On our street everyone is doing heavy spring cleaning and Marie Kondo-ing all their shit. I grabbed a nice office chair being tossed out across the street. I needed one too, because the cushion on mine was breaking down. I left the trash picked chair on the front porch in the sun for a few days before bringing it inside. It's perfect. Gives good support without being too comfortable.
Yeah I was thinking all the thrift stores are going to be overwhelmed here when they reopen. Our trash collection will only take what's in your wheelie bin. Anything else you have to take to the landfill yourself and pay a fee. They don't get off the truck when they pick up.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #62
glatt

A few years ago, my son dissembled his tree house, and neatly stacked all the lumber on a picnic table we never use. It's all rotten wood now and looks like hell, so I considered as recently as yesterday tossing it in the trash. I guess I missed my window of opportunity.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #63
Griff
still says videotape

If it's clean rotten lumber, no paint or treatment, you can compost it or simply cover it with soil. It will improve the water holding capacity of your soil. If you have any yard...
Old 03-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #64
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

So I went for walk yesterday round the "back" of our island. It's hard to tell which is nature's architecture and which is man-made...

Sent by magick
Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #65
Flint
Snowflake

So far, just dumbbells from 5-20 pounds for high reps, frequently throughout the day. But tonight I'll be setting up some higher weight dumbbells, and a couple of barbells for doing deadlifts, squats, bent-over rows, overhead triceps, upright rows, that kind of stuff.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #66
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
So I went for walk yesterday round the "back" of our island. It's hard to tell which is nature's architecture and which is man-made...

Sent by magick
That's so cool. I love your island!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks for the tour Limey, looks like a bad place to be stumbling around in the dark, I was expecting to meet one of these guys.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #68
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This period of isolation is no walk in the park, I can tell you that.

Name:  IMG_20200325_075248_01sm.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  284.4 KB
Old 03-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #69
Griff
still says videotape

Gorgeous Limey!

NYC is leaving the Parks open but closing some streets so people can walk and maintain their 6 foot gaps.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #70
glatt

Closing parks is bullshit. Wide open spaces are the one place it's safe.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #71
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Closing parks is bullshit. Wide open spaces are the one place it's safe.
You're absolutely correct.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #72
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The PA Turnpike is only 360.1 miles long, no reason not to close all the bathrooms.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #73
monster

Parks are closed here too. I think the problem is people are tempted to bend the rules -it's a wide open space so it's ok to meet up.... and they're not very good at keeping a 2 meter distance
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #74
monster

Today I thoroughly let myself down. I got up early to do a big tidying/sorting job, and I also planned to go outside in the nice weather. I didn't even touch the big job (yet) and I was just stirring to go out and realized it's dark already I haven't left the house. I've done bits of pieces of tidying and cleaning here and there -some regular/routine, some monthly, some annual... but nothing remarkable. I just applied for a job. not a career job, but can't stop just because I have an interview..... soon I will will eligible for unemployment, so I must keep trying in case I do have to try again to apply. I wanted to plant seeds in the nice weather. didn't. And I didn't pay the health insurance that's due at the end of the month and needs to go by mail. Or set up the new printer. I'm working up to doing that right now, though

I did clean the bog, deep clean the shower doors, change the furnace filter, sort out the wrapping paper and ribbon/bow stash, cook linner for myself and the boys, do two loads of laundry, about to do the dishwasher....yada yada yada worried about my distant family members, tracked daughter's progress as she moved from her apartment to her boyfriend's parent's house in the panhandle before her county locks down tonight (gonna be a fun few weeks for her there...)

procrastinate much?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #75
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

sounds normal