The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #61
monster
I hear them call the tide

OK, so Tuesday is the day to hit for big exercise. How long are your drives to campus, between and home?

Physical therapy for your hip -do that -and mention the knee when you go.

At work, do 10 squats each time you go to the bathroom. Do a kegel/belly brace before you start and hold it.

Diet-wise. Keep a pack of frozen peas in the freezer. these are your snack when you're hungry between meals at home. You can expand this to packs of frozen berries if that tickles your fancy.

If you are working a 10 hour day and will not eat, fill your car with yummy nutricious food in a cooler on the passenger seat so it's more accessible than fast food.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #62
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
Laps?

Track or ?
Dances.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #63
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
OK, so Tuesday is the day to hit for big exercise. How long are your drives to campus, between and home?

Physical therapy for your hip -do that -and mention the knee when you go.

At work, do 10 squats each time you go to the bathroom. Do a kegel/belly brace before you start and hold it.

Diet-wise. Keep a pack of frozen peas in the freezer. these are your snack when you're hungry between meals at home. You can expand this to packs of frozen berries if that tickles your fancy.

If you are working a 10 hour day and will not eat, fill your car with yummy nutricious food in a cooler on the passenger seat so it's more accessible than fast food.
Knee needs surgery, OR lots of ice and anti-inflammatories. Orthopedist thought surgery could make things worse, but maybe someday I'll get around the getting a 2nd opinion. I have a chipped off piece of bone in there that rubs around and causes all sorts of havoc.
Peas are disgusting, might eat berries but they can't be frozen, sensitive teeth. A cooler of food would not make it for 8hrs in a car in TX heat, I don't care how much ice you pack. I would not trust it. I just need to eat at work, keep snacks and shakes on hand.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #64
monster
I hear them call the tide

excuses. I am done.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #65
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I NEED to do kegel exercises, for my bladder if nothing else. I often forget, I need to find a way to remind myself when I go...I don't think work would like me to scrawl "Do your kegels!" on the inside of the stall.

Did good today, I didn't eat lunch, the time just went by and it was too late. I did drink OJ and V8 at my desk and about 4 bottles of water. Did not stop for fast food on my way home.
Took a little break when I got home (it was storming outside), but when it cleared up, I took both dogs on a walk. I had to drop my sis's dog back off at the house half-way through (she is old and was getting over-exerted) but I resisted the urge to stop then and kept goin with Della.

I don't mean I'm not gonna try some of your suggestions monsta, but you can't seriously expect me to do everything you say.
I can't do anything about the knee situation really, maybe PT can help, but I don't know how since they can't remove the fragment.
Peas, broccoli and cooked/canned spinach are all on the same level of disgusting-ness to me. I eat baby carrots, fresh spinach, romain lettuce, cabbage, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #66
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

MTP, please try to work on not feeling guilty for taking the breaks that are yours by right and using them to improve your health (either through eating right or or gently exercising). Maybe search the internet for yoga-type exercise you can do at your desk - this would not strain your knee or hip (or not so much) and would start to tone parts of you. Maybe keep the cooler-bag of snacks in your office under your desk (where it will be cooler through the day than in your car) so that you can dip in to something healthy on your drive home?
I'll confess to having a really strong objection to anyone sacrificing their own health and time (including breaks, holidays, and donating free overtime, not that I'm saying you're doing all of that) for their employer. IMHO no employer ever appreciates it, they simply take it for granted. Please try to take you breaks.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #67
morethanpretty

I have decided to go ahead and attempt the Zone diet. I'm ordering the book on Amazon and it should be here by the time I get back from vacation. I am considering a fitness club membership (there is 1 right next door that looks affordable and is 24 hour). I have a couple of free options, like the one at work and the college, but neither of those are as convenient, if I were going to use them regularly, I already would be. So, might be worth using the one next to my house. I have not done the physical therapy because my health insurance has been screwy, but maybe I won't need it if I'm just working out regularly. Doc said it might just be the extra weight put too much strain on that muscle. If it starts to hurting real bad, I'll go ahead and get a new 'script to go, but if not...that will be saved money.
I have gotten better at eating a snack or lunch at work. I am going to have to improve the quality of those, but at least I'm not AS tempted to eat fast food on my way home.
Sister is off work for now (teacher - but looking for a different job), so she cooks most nights now (I cleanup and contribute groceries to make up for her doing the cooking) so that will help me stay away from the super bad stuff, she usually tries to cook healthy.

Well...we shall see.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #68
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
I have decided to go ahead and attempt the Zone diet. I'm ordering the book on Amazon and it should be here by the time I get back from vacation. I am considering a fitness club membership (there is 1 right next door that looks affordable and is 24 hour). I have a couple of free options, like the one at work and the college, but neither of those are as convenient, if I were going to use them regularly, I already would be. So, might be worth using the one next to my house. I have not done the physical therapy because my health insurance has been screwy, but maybe I won't need it if I'm just working out regularly. Doc said it might just be the extra weight put too much strain on that muscle. If it starts to hurting real bad, I'll go ahead and get a new 'script to go, but if not...that will be saved money.
I have gotten better at eating a snack or lunch at work. I am going to have to improve the quality of those, but at least I'm not AS tempted to eat fast food on my way home.
Sister is off work for now (teacher - but looking for a different job), so she cooks most nights now (I cleanup and contribute groceries to make up for her doing the cooking) so that will help me stay away from the super bad stuff, she usually tries to cook healthy.

Well...we shall see.
Also: I really wish there was a gym that allowed pets....I would totally make Della walk the treadmill. LOL.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #69
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
I have decided to go ahead and attempt the Zone diet. I'm ordering the book on Amazon and it should be here by the time I get back from vacation. I am considering a fitness club membership (there is 1 right next door that looks affordable and is 24 hour). I have a couple of free options, like the one at work and the college, but neither of those are as convenient, if I were going to use them regularly, I already would be. So, might be worth using the one next to my house....
This looks like good thinking
Quote:
This looks like progress
Quote:
Sister is off work for now (teacher - but looking for a different job), so she cooks most nights now (I cleanup and contribute groceries to make up for her doing the cooking) so that will help me stay away from the super bad stuff, she usually tries to cook healthy. ..
This looks good, too
Well done, MTP!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #70
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Wow, great mtp! Let me know if you have any questions or if you need suggestions. I had it worked out pretty nicely when I did it - when I was single and living alone. I'm trying to start back up again now that the the boys are pretty independent and its just mostly me and my husband. He doesn't really realize it, but I have been feeding him zone-like dinners for a while now.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #71
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

MTP: I'm glad to hear you've decided on something. I will be back with more response. I've been busy and now, I've got to clean up and head out.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #72
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Morethanpretty!! Wooohoooo! How have you been? It's unusual for you to be not around. Anyways, I just want to fulfill my promise. As I always say, better late than never. Here is the list of exercise dvds I think you may like:

One on One Training with Jackie Warner
Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred
Jackie Extreme Timesaver Training
and of course, P90X

These are lighter, but you may benefit from them if you haven't been really working out:

10 Minutes Solution: Yoga
Winsor Pilates

And these are what I also have in case you're interested:

Hip Hop Abs (not full set)
SELF Bikini Ready
Turbo Jam (not full set)
Rapid Results Pilates

I practiced Jackie Warner Circuit Training and liked it. It's great for the shoulders, back, and chest. There are ab exercises too, but it wasn't intense enough for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this to offer to you.

So, tell me which ones you'd like to have and I'll send you a copy.

Last edited by Lola Bunny; 07-22-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #73
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That's a lot of videos you have, Bunny! I've recently decided to buy a yoga DVD to do at home rather than pretend I'll have the time to drive 25 minutes each way to an hour-long class. Plus, a single $9 investment is way better than a monthly membership.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #74
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

If anyone else wants something, let me know. It'll be okay if not everone asks for the entire collection.

Clod: If you don't like your yoga dvd, you can try what I have. Hmm...I just remember that my brother has it at the moment. I asked him to rip it so I can make copies for people. I'll tell you the title later. It's an ashtanga(sp) yoga. It has a 15 mins, 30 mins, and a 45 mins section. I like it.

I have more than what I listed above. The list above is just what I like and what I think MTP may like.