The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have Gun, Will Travel...

The jolly olde Cambridge University Press publishes something called, "Studies in American Political Development". In Volume 28, Issue 01, April 2014, pp 49-79, we find, "The Six-Shooter Marketplace: 19th-Century Gunfighting as Violence Expertise", by Jonathan Obert, University of Chicago.

Quote:
Abstract

How are new forms of violence expertise organized and exploited? Most scholars view this as primarily a question of state-building; that is, violence experts use their skills in an attempt to regulate economic transactions or to extract and redistribute resources via protection rents either for themselves or at the behest of political elites.

In an alternative view, this article demonstrates that historical gunfighters active in the late 19th-century American Southwest were actually market actors—the possessors of valuable skills cultivated through participation in the Civil War and diffused through gunfighting and reputation building in key market entrepôts.

Neither solely state-builders nor state-resisters, as they have traditionally been interpreted, gunfighters composed a professional class that emerged in the 1870s and 1880s and who moved frequently between wage-paying jobs, seizing economic opportunities on both sides of the law and often serving at the behest of powerful economic, rather than political, actors.

I establish this claim by examining a dataset of over 250 individuals active in the “gunfighting system” of the post-bellum West, demonstrating that the social connections forged through fighting, and diffused through social networks, helped generate a form of organized violence that helped bring “law and order” to the frontier but as a byproduct of market formation rather than as state-building.
I can't help but wonder if this was a thesis. Probably fun and not much more trouble to research. Plus everybody who'd refudiate you are dead.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
... gunfighters composed a professional class that emerged in the 1870s and 1880s ... seizing economic opportunities on both sides of the law and often serving at the behest of powerful economic, rather than political, actors. ...
How disillusioning, to find out that gunfighters of Western lore were really Swiss bankers.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

...just like present day mercenaries.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote