The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #1156
Ibby
erika

Hey, what can I say, I'm a rock snob...
Old 01-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #1157
cklabyrinth
spring of my discontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykule View Post
Ibram, passing judgement on peoples musical taste is immature. Your tastes are not universally held, so lay off.
It's fine. I really couldn't care less what he thinks.
cklabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #1158
cableguy
Elite Elitist

Spinning at 1230pm eastern

Review by Judith Schlesinger
This is the Stockholm Jazz Orchestra's salute to tango, which demonstrates, once again, that the only boundaries in jazz are theoretical. This is a superb group of musicians, and arranger Carlos Franzetti has managed to evoke the classic, sinuous rhythms of tango with soulful, atmospheric jazz arrangements that suggest a deep admiration for Gil Evans. "La Ultima Curda" is especially reminiscent of Evans' legendary Sketches of Spain collaboration with Miles Davis. While the inclusion of the traditional, accordion-like bandoneon adds authentic flavor and two compositions — the powerful "Revolutionario" and the haunting ballad "Chiquilin de Bachine" — by tango legend Astor Piazzolla are represented, the overall sound is pure big-band jazz. And very good jazz at that: The arrangements move, change, and build, with ever-flowing lines, interesting tempo changes, and a variety of solo textures. The trumpet solos by Argentinian Gustavo Bergalli, which are featured throughout, are superb. Highlights include the above tracks as well as "El Arrastre," "Los Mareados," and "Tango Fatal," all of which convey the teasing mystery of tango expressed through the sophisticated language of jazz. The CD is also very crisply recorded in every blazing detail, using DSD technology. Lush, luscious, and unusual.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #1159
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

Everything But The Girl - Acoustic
Tom Waits - Orphans
Jamiroquai - Dynamite
and some old Steve Goodman for variety
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #1160
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Deep Inside Of You - Third Eye Blind
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #1161
cableguy
Elite Elitist

Review by Scott Yanow
For this fine straightahead trio set, the talented if somewhat obscure pianist Shelly Berg performs five standards and seven originals with bassist Lou Fischer and either Randy Drake or Steve Houghton on drums. The music swings in conventional fashion with the highpoints including "Star Eyes," "How Deep Is the Ocean" and "Here's That Rainy Day."
Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #1162
cableguy
Elite Elitist

Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape
followed by

Norah Jones - Not Too Late
Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #1163
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Sigur Ros
Old 02-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #1164
cableguy
Elite Elitist

Folky-blues, acoustic jazz, Philadelphia based Melody Gardot gently stirs the senses with a diverse collection of beautifully poignant songs dripping with strength-filled honesty.

followed by:

Co-founded in Montreal, Canada in 1992 by guitarist Paul Deslauriers and pianist virtuoso Paul Buonassisi, these boys were deemed by some critics at the time to be "Canada's hottest blues-rock band". After a year of extensive touring in eastern Canada, selling out clubs and woo-ing festival goers everywhere like at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, the band relocated to Vancouver to branch out and create a larger and more diversified fan base.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #1165
Cloud

"Volcano" on the tv. Way too firey, appallingly ludricious, and strangely compelling.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #1166
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy View Post

Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape
I liked Gwen tremendously, in the past, but I was somewhat disappointed by this album. It somehow didn't feel as "original" as older Gwen stuff.

I am listening to Jimi Hendrix tonight.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #1167
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Many years ago I purchased "The Instant Monty Python CD Collection."

I was crestfallen to find that there are practically no track divisions on these CDs. For example, CD #1 features three tracks: Another Monty Python Record, Side 1; Another Monty Python Record, Side 2; and Monty Python's Previous Record, Side 1 (Side 2 being on CD #2). So if you wanted to go to an individual cut, say, the Spam sketch or the Spanish Inquisition, you had to fast-forward.

I have threatened, for years, to rip these CDs and chop them all up into proper tracks. Well, I started doing it this weekend, so I am slowly listening to all six CDs.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:23 AM   #1168
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Tell me - Ra
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #1169
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykule View Post
Ibram, passing judgement on peoples musical taste is immature. Your tastes are not universally held, so lay off.
Putting down what others enjoy is the height of arrogance. And arrogance is little more than the personification of the axiom that the best defense is a good offense.

Its a nice way to foreclose the possibility that someone might actually be interested in what you have to say.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #1170
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I have threatened, for years, to rip these CDs and chop them all up into proper tracks. Well, I started doing it this weekend, so I am slowly listening to all six CDs.
Awesome! Pain in the ass to go through to get what you wanted in the first place, but I bet you feel some level of satisfaction in taking something inferior and making it work.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music