The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #421
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by toranokaze View Post
We don't have a gun problem in the US we have a mental health care problem
We have a mental health care problem with respect to mass shootings. We still do have a gun problem, but those often don't make national news headlines.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #422
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh just fucking great. Jebus Mudder of Fucking Gob.

Shooting at elementary school in Connecticutt. Multiple injuries to students and multiple deaths reported but unsure if any fatalities are children.

Shooter is dead.

This is breaking news with unclear reports so I'll just leave that post as it is for now. CNN reports no confirmed deaths; MSN is saying multiple deaths.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14...ool/?hpt=hp_t1

http://news.msn.com/us/shooting-repo...mentary-school
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #423
infinite monkey

Very confusing information coming in. The multiple deaths link I posted is the only one saying that.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #424
infinite monkey

Latest: at least 27 dead, including children.

How the fucking fuck am I not supposed to hate this world? I feel ill. Jesus fucking christ.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #425
infinite monkey

Stick your goddam heads in the sand, this isn't really happening in a world of puppies and lollipops.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #426
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Latest: at least 27 dead, including children.
that's seriously fucked up
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #427
infinite monkey

Another report says the shooter was a parent of one of the children.

This is unfathomable. I can't even process this in any normal fashion.

LIttle kids. Kids my niece's ages. Kids the ages of some of your kids. These things can't be predicted. How can parents even let their children leave the house in this world? I couldn't do it. When does the call come that one of the schools in my (or your) area has been a target of some psycho freak?

As I said, I can't process this.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #428
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I thought I read that he stole the gun from a friend. So any background check or waiting period type of regulation wouldn't have worked here. The only way to prevent this would be to completely ban guns.

And I'm glad he used a long rifle in the mall. It's serious looking, but in a confined space like a mall, a long rifle is a bad choice for doing serious damage. A handgun or some sort of short barrel would have been much worse. Look at the numbers. Only 2 dead. Terrible, but it could have been much worse.

I expect that this guy will be found to by mentally ill. That's the real story. We need to do a better job as a society of identifying and treating the mentally ill before they do stuff like this. I think it ties in to affordable health care. You can attack this problem from the health care side instead of the gun grab side and probably be more effective.

The gun debate is over. The Supreme Court ruled a couple years ago when it said that the DC gun ban was unconstitutional.
Glatt, I'm usually in agreement with you, but with this posting I am not.

I agree that "background checks" are not efficient enough to deal with the problem.
But discussing the "tactics" of which weapon is better or worse just ignores the real problems.

The Supreme Court has, indeed, made a ruling on this, but the gun debate is not over.

I've posted my belief before that eventually the US people will have had enough,
and will place the blame squarely on the NRA and it's supporters who are contributing agents.

Probably not in my lifetime, but eventually this craziness over gun rights will be reversed.
In the meantime, maybe our staunch NRA/gun-rights Dwellars will step up
and rationalize again how the events today in Connecticut are someone else's fault.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #429
infinite monkey

Or how if Charlie Smarley, 8 years old, had been allowed to pack heat, there would have been a lot less dead.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #430
infinite monkey

NBC is saying 26 dead, including 18 children.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #431
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Well, now, they will be screaming again for teachers to be able to carry guns in class. That'll solve it, won't it.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #432
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Well, now, they will be screaming again for teachers to be able to carry guns in class. That'll solve it, won't it.
Maybe. I know I'd shape up if I was a student.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #433
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

incomprehensible.

why can't murder suicides be suicide murders? Or just plain fucking suicides, and stop killing other people for fucking fuck's sake.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #434
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

People are insane & we as a nation are more & more letting them
"Slip thru the cracks" -- b/ c fixing cracks costs $$$$$$ we are spending elsewhere.-
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #435
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Just wow...

I understand the shooter shot his father at his home in NJ, then drove to the school in CT where his mother taught. He killed her entire class, apparently kindergarten, then her.

At some point he died also, whether by his own hand or the police, I'm unclear on.

I simply cannot comprehend it. My daughter will get some bear hugs when I see her later tonight.

I pray for the survivors and the parents of those who were so needlessly killed.