The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

August 11, 2008: Booger Clones

Oh look Dear, puppies!
But not just any old cute puppies, clone puppies.

Probably a rational discussion of this story should not include a picture of five heart melting puppies. But it's IOtD, so it must.

Quote:
Bernann McKinney says her beloved pit bull "Booger" saved her life when another dog attacked her, then learned to push her wheelchair while she recovered from a severe hand injury and nerve damage.
He died in 2006, but now he's back - at least in clone form, after the birth last week of puppies replicated by a South Korean company. "Yes, I know you! You know me too!" McKinney cried joyfully Tuesday, hugging the puppy clones as they slept with one of their two surrogate mothers, both Korean mixed breed dogs, in a Seoul laboratory. "It's a miracle."

Cute puppies and heart warming story, for a Monday morning... would I spoil that?
You bet your bippy.
Quote:
The procedure, which costs up to $150,000, is drawing criticism from animal rights groups which oppose cloning pets. They say it can lead to malformed offspring and exploitation of surrogates and egg donors, as well as unfounded claims that the new animal is an exact copy of the original.
Now before you start cursing PETA, this objection is from reputable sources.

Quote:
"It's fraught with animal welfare concerns and it does not bring back a loved one," said Martin Stephens, vice president for animal research issues at The Humane Society of The United States, based in Washington. "A dead animal's DNA does not guarantee the offspring will be identical to the deceased. It takes more than just genes to create an animal," said Stephens, who is a biologist. He said the cloning process also subjects hundreds of dogs and cats to invasive procedures as egg donors and surrogates. According to a report released by The Humane Society in May, 3,656 cloned embryos, 319 egg donors and 214 surrogates were used to produce just five cloned dogs and 11 cloned cats who were able to survive 30 days past birth. There are millions of homeless dogs and cats in the U.S., Stephens said, and "we don't need new sources to compete with animal shelters and reputable breeders."
So maybe it's not a good idea, but they sure are cute.

link
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Think she will copy George Foreman and name them Booger Jr., Booger III, Booger IV, etc.?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

If you think she's nuts here's the rest of the story.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I think she is nuts, but that has nothing to do with the fact that there are so many animals being put down every day because there are too many. I don't think we should be cloning them at all.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I don't think we should be cloning them at all.
Why not?

PS. My link has nothing to do with animals.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh my word. She's a fruitloop of epic proportions.
What a shame for the poor dogs.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
birdclaw
putting the "g" in flight

Umm kind of going off track here but it has been speculated that Bernann McKinney is actually Joyce Mckinney. She was Miss Wyoming and got accused of raping a Mormon missionary. And now they are letting her have puppies? Seems wrong.
birdclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Bird, follow Griff's links (includes pictures which make a pretty good case for it being her)
The reason I said the dogs have my pity is that she has been accused of animal cruelty in the past.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fruit loop she may be, but in truth, given the ordeal which nearly killed her and from which the dog had saved her, I think she can be forgiven for being unusually attached.

[eta]
Quote:
The reason I said the dogs have my pity is that she has been accused of animal cruelty in the past.
I did not know that.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Antimatter
Belt Conveyor

"Yes, I know you! You know me too!" - Umm... No you don't. "You" is, as the article points out, defined by much more than mere genes, and relations between her and the original dog does in no way transfer automatically to any of the clones. This might seem obvious to most people here but apparently Ms. McKinney suffers from the delusion that it is not so.

Also, I wonder, if her (maybe hypothetical) husband died and cloning of humans were available, would she have him cloned?
Antimatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I think she can be forgiven for being unusually attached.
Nope - she's a friggin whack job and there is no reason to forgive her. She should be in prison
Old 08-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Awww...look at the fruitloop with the cute puppies!

Yes I know. Even pitbull puppies are cute. All puppies are cute.

I want a puppy...
Old 08-12-2008, 04:36 AM   #13
SPUCK
Professor

This is choice!!

"To flee on bail, she donned a red wig and disguised herself as a member of a mime troupe"

You can't make this stuff up..
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

All I see is the potential evil of those puppies. They'll just keep getting themselves cloned until they take over the world.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Coign
Wanted Driver

Oh her story is awesome and does deserve a movie.

Quote:
Miss McKinney’s own lawyer, Stuart Elgrod, has been bombarded over the years by calls from his former client. Mr Elgrod is ill but his wife, Natalie, said: “Not again! She always was a nutter. Every so often she finds us and drives us mad. Last time she wanted to know what material Stuart had because they wanted to make a film about her. Anthony Hopkins was going to play the part of Stuart.”

After fleeing Britain in 1978, Miss McKinney spent five weeks in hiding then resurfaced at the Hilton Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, dressed as a nun. In the 1980s, she was arrested near Salt Lake City airport, where Mr Anderson worked, for allegedly harassing him. A rope and handcuffs were in her car.