The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

Football - The roundball kind. Soccer.

Alrighty then. The Cellar, wonderful as it is, doesn't have a large football fan contingent, but we do get some interested parties from time to time. This will be the official Football thread for 08/09. Or if no one is interested in any way, shape, or form, this will be a place that I will put a few posts and everyone else ignores.

I am one of the fortunate ones. I am an Arsenal supporter. The Arsenal kids have reported in for training this week to get their tubby butts in shape for the coming season. The biggest stars for Arsenal, and other teams, were involved in Euro 08 for their national teams so will have another week or two to rest before training. Some of the biggest names in the game are still embroiled in transfer drama so we don't know where they'll be playing next season. They still have some time before that has to be wrapped up.

Alexander Hleb and Emmanuel Adebayor are the two big Arsenal names that may or may not be at Emirates Stadium when the season begins. I enjoy the way each of them plays the game, but their quotes lead me to believe they've bought their own hype. So they can just fuck right the hell off. Samir Nasri may or may not be coming in. Roque Santa Cruz most likely will not, but the rumors have legs. Mr Veloso would fit quite nicely into our midfield but I think the rumors are just that. He is far too expensive for Arsenal tastes.

So as it stands:

Almunia - G

Sagna - RB Toure - CB Gallas - CB Clichy - LB

Rosicky/Walcott - RM Fabregas - AM ____?_____ - DM Hleb?/___?___ - LM

Adebayor? - FWD Van Persie - FWD

The core of the team is incredible. Sagna and Clichy are amongst the best in Europe in their positions. Toure and Gallas are both excellent although I think they are too similar to be properly complimentary. Fabregas is absolutely amazing, possibly the best at the position and he is only 21. Rosicky is a world beater but he is injury prone. Walcott is really coming on and I expect a great year from him. Only 19 and looking awesome on the big stage. Hleb? I'd rather have Nasri, but we'll see. Left wing worries me. Van Persie is one of the most talented forwards around but he's had a string of unfortunate injuries. If he's healthy this year he'll be top drawer. Adebayor I'm not sure about. He has bought his own hype. He survived on an awesome work ethic and never say die attitude... then when he started getting attention those attributes fell to the side and some petulance showed through. Now he is demanding obscene and unrealistic money. We'll see.

The bench will either make or break this team this year.

Senderos, CM- 23 and a Swiss international. He needs a string of games to find his composure and he quickly loses confidence after a mistake. He is a common scapegoat even though he has been a central part of the best string of games for the last three years. I really hope this really classy guy can put it all together this year.

Gilberto - Once called the invisible wall. He is a DM who may be past his sell by date. He is, however, the epitomy of class. The captain for the Brazil National Team, but I hope he is still on the bench for Arsenal this year.

Denilson AM/DM- Young and Brazillian. Just 20 years old he looks to have all the qualities needed but had a rough year with injuries and form last year. I really hope to see him step up. If not, he needs to be sold.

Eboue - Former RB, now RM. Hate him. Diving cheating shitbag. Doesn't belong in the team. Sell him now.

Diaby - AM/LM. Silky smooth skills but seems lazy off the ball and selfish on it. Hope he can grow.

Song - CB/DM. We'll see. He was loaned out last year and came back injured but looked exciting in his few appearances.

Vela - LM/Striker. Young and Mexican. Has been Arsenal owned for 3 years but just got his work permit. He's been playing very well in Spain and for the Mexican National Team. Amazing talent. Hopefully he slots into the English game quickly. Definitely one to watch.

Merida - AM. Fabregas, part deux. From Spain, great skill great vision. Still only 17. So was Fabregas when he fought his way into the first team.

Barazite - AM/RM/Striker. Young but amazing. I expect to see him get some first team games this season.

Eduardo - Striker. Doesn't belong as a substitute but that's where he'll be for awhile. He suffered a horrendous injury last year, the likes of which most players never recover fully. I nice gentle man named "tiny" Taylor decided to push his foot through his leg rather than get the ball. Eduardo received a double compound fracture and dislocated ankle with all the associated ligament, tendon, and muscle damage. I don't expect him to really play before January at the earliest. I'm not sure if he'll ever really be what he was. An absolute ice in the veins finisher. Put the ball at his feet and he'd score.

There are a few others but I expect these to be the central players to the season.

I don't like making predictions because they can all go to the crapper with one bad injury. BUT I'll say that I expect Arsenal to push for the EPL title this year and to make an extended run in the Champion's League. The club uses the Carling Cup and FA Cup to blood in the younger players and I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal's kids win the Carling Cup this year.

For me, the most important competition is the EPL. 38 games, home and away with every other team in the league. No playoffs, no super bowl, only weekly rankings to determine the winner. Each win gets 3 points, a draw gets 1, and a loss brings 0. The bottom three teams in the table at the end of the season are relegated from the top flight of football. The top two are into the Champions League, third and fourth get to play for qualification into the CL.

I expect a First or Second place finish in the EPL with a run at least into the Quarter Finals for the CL. And if the kids bring home the Carling Cup that will be an amazing season for a team assembled for a small fraction of the cost of their top competitors. Last year Manchester United spent more on three players than Arsenal have spent on their whole team.

Let the games begin.

Last edited by lookout123; 07-08-2008 at 02:41 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
lookout123

Samir Nasri is now officially a gooner.

The kid has awesome skills. Here's to hoping that he transitions to the EPL quickly.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Never trust a North Londoner.
Words of wisdom from my Daddy.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
lookout123

Good thing there aren't any on my North London team. Plenty of French, Spanish, African... but no North Londoners.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
lookout123

Tomorrow will be the first pre-season match. It is against a lower division team - Barnet. The Gunners will field a team largely made up of the youth. Or da utes, as I like to say. They will be led by the experienced veterans aged 19 and 20. Seriously. The most senior members of the Arsenal Squad are younger than the average age of the other top teams in the EPL. It should be fun.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I am one of the fortunate ones. I am an Arsenal supporter.
Oh yes...you're special :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
lookout123

watch it ya manc tart.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
miketrees
Regulator of Squalor

I thought football fans liked calling it football not soccer.

I like to call it fall on the ground and cry like a baby ball
miketrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
lookout123

i like to consider posts like yours as desperate pleas for attention from inbred fuckwits, but hey, that's just me.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Real footballers don't wear padding. Or helmets.
Okay, they're not as tough as rugby players, but they aren't as into puking and mooning either, so they get to have sex with girls.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
lookout123

wait, footballers are popular with the ladies??? who knew?

Oh and BTW, real football has much more foot to ball contact.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I meant to ask a while back - do you have World Cup songs in the US?
I assume (perhaps erroneously) that with America being such a large country and soccer a minority sport that they wouldn't even get on the airwaves...?

You'll probably know from watching football matches that the old novelty songs go down very well with the English. I still can't hear either of the versions of Three Lions without all the hairs on my arms standing up - and Vindaloo (the silliest and probably most British of all World Cup songs) takes me back to a very exciting time in my life, albeit one where most football fans wanted to wallop David Beckham.

Sorry, I know it's specifically a World Cup question, but I'm not patient enough to wait & see if a thread develops in 2010

Oh, thought I'd link for those who haven't heard them sung from the terraces:

Yes, they're both '98. There hasn't been a real corker since. Here's to Africa!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
lookout123

America is different than Europe in thatour sports fans haven't really adopted singing at the events. Noise is big. Whistles, horns, screams, and general mayhem are the order of the day. That being said, the more devout soccer fans are really trying to introduce songs, but it is a patchy at best. Our big games (not counting internationals) only draw about 15,000 or so and only maybe 1,000 at best will sing.

We're still a young soccer nation. World Cup songs aren't even a thought yet, as no one with half a brain even believes we have a shot at seeing it within the next 4-5 cycles.

That being said, here is one of my favorite world cup songs.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I remember it. Good idea (Dads' Army and clips and all that) but not a strong enough tune - too low pitched to be a singalong. IMO.

I do understand what you're saying re the American football team. It was what I expected, but didn't like to make assumptions. You're an overtly patriotic nation anyway, so probably don't need songs to get behind your team (if you're into football I mean!)

Oddly, I'm already quite excited about 2010. I think it's because I was in such a state during the last Cup it was a low priority for me. I mean I got out there and watched every match of course*, but so much was going on in my life. By the next one I will be happy, sorted and settled. Honest.

* ETA - got out to the pub. Not to the actual matches!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
lookout123

I like World Cup years because it is similar to Olympic years - everyone has an interest in it at least as far as simple conversation goes. Beyond that I don't really like World Cup years because there is such a strong chance of my favorite players being injured and then being unable to perform for their clubs.

I might feel differently if the US was competitive but I'm more of a club over country person.