The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #1126
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What's mildly amusing you today?

Doesn't look familiar. It might have been Chantry Cottage. And my dad wasn't Noël Edmonds, and didn't enjoy having him as a neighbour. My dad moved to Cornwall and so did Noël, I think. Or Devon.

Sent by thought transference
Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #1127
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

OMG your Dad was being stalked by Noel Edmonds?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #1128
limey

Seems like it!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #1129
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Chantry Cottage, Weston Turville:

Name:  071120, Bucks_20w.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  57.3 KB

This the place by any chance?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #1130
limey

That's the one! The vertical transoms(?) in the upper windows are hinged and bolted in place to allow ingress and egress of a coffin, should you die in your bed, as the stairs are too steep and narrow for elegant in-coffin descent.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #1131
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Bingo!

British Listed Buildings - Chantry Cottage WT.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #1132
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm confused, what are they trying to do there? The developer builds these 80 units, then sell them to individuals. Or sells them all to the local government who then rents them out?

Or were they just trying to get the locals in favor of the project, so they'll prod the local officials to approve it?

Who owns the land now?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #1133
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm confused, what are they trying to do there? The developer builds these 80 units, then sell them to individuals. Or sells them all to the local government who then rents them out?

Or were they just trying to get the locals in favor of the project, so they'll prod the local officials to approve it?

Who owns the land now?
I'm not sure if there is now a statutory requirement on developers to run a consultation exercise, but certainly it pays them to get local people on their side from the beginning. Nothing puts up people's backs more than a planning application of any size that appears as a bolt from the blue. Parish councils hold little sway in these matters. They'll discuss the application and tell the planning authority, in this case Aylesbury Vale District Council, whether they support, or object to, the application.
Parish councils tend to be a useful conduit for public opinion but sadly lack any real clout.

In this instance the proposed development is at the very edge of the parish and, without looking at a map, I suspect that it is nearer to the edge of Aylesbury than the recognised settlement of Weston Turville so I suspect that no real objections will be made..

I'm not sure who owns the land but I believe that the Church of England owns a lot of land in the area which is rented to local farms.
The above sentence is subject to confirmation!

Anyway, it's 0630 and I must be off to Aylesbury for the week's grocery shopping. Wish me luck.

Almost forgot. As far as I am aware the houses would be for private sale.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:06 AM   #1134
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK thanks, then this is a private deal and they just jumping through the proper hoops.
Quote:
Nothing puts up people's backs more than a planning application of any size that appears as a bolt from the blue.
Absolutely, we old farts don't like change... or whippersnappers on the lawn.

Land has always been a contentious commodity for you folks, hasn't it.
The very few that had it, and the power to hold it which is just as important, could rent it out or hire people directly to work it for them.
And everybody else can go to...

...the new world.
There really wasn't much choice. You wouldn't need land to be a fisherman, but where are you going to live? butcher, baker, candlestick maker... need a shop.
I guess an executioner could camp out.
That whole situation with the land is real alien to us over here. But may not be for long.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #1135
glatt

Just got out of a training class on patent filing. It was a good refresher.

The amusing thing was the poor attorney giving the power point presentation had her computer hijacked remotely during the middle of the class, and the hijacker opened up her firm email account while it was being displayed on the big projection screen. Clicked through a few emails and then loaded some updates and restarted the computer. And then proceeded to change a bunch of settings and stuff. She gamely tried to keep talking, but with no slides or handouts, and with a bunch of distracting stuff going on behind her, it was hard to pay attention.

I still don't have any idea what happened. Looked like when you give control of your PC up to the help desk so they can fix shit remotely.

After about 10 minutes and a few phone calls, and an IT lady showing up, the power point was restarted. But the damage was done.

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #1136
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Now that would perk up a somnolence-inducing powerpoint presentation!

Did she realize? If so, why on earth would she continue presenting and pretending nothing was going on? If it happened to me, I'd be saying 'just one second' to the audience and shutting everything down STAT. Then I'd carry on without benefit of powerpoint, I suppose, or repair with the audience to the nearest bar to discuss computer hijackings and patent filing.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #1137
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
... Then I'd carry on without benefit of powerpoint, I suppose, or repair with the audience to the nearest bar ...
You get a gold star today doc, for using the word "repair." It's seldom heard anymore outside of the military as in "failure to repair" (i.e. meeting both conditions of being at an appointed place and at an appointed time).
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #1138
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

makes me wonder where that went wrong.

My first instinct is to fault the IT desk, since if they did it in person, and showed up to find them doing something on the computer they wouldn't just shove them out of the way and take over the computer. the same respect and courtesy should be shown remotely, since everyone knows that it's a tool used for important tasks by the user/owner of the machine.

It may be the case that it was automated, scheduled ahead of time and it just went off automagically. oops, I guess I shouldn't have tried to drive my car to the store while it was on the lifts at the shop, bad me.

that emails were opened up makes me think that it was a person doing the work.... why someone who was responsible for updating a computer would have any legitimate reason to troll through the email.... that sounds wrong. when I work on someone's computer, for updates, say, I don't read through their email. that sounds like snooping, at the least.

Or, it could be that the owner of the computer didn't realize there was an open connection to the helper person, and the helper person... anyhow... what a screwup.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #1139
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
You get a gold star today doc, for using the word "repair." It's seldom heard anymore outside of the military as in "failure to repair" (i.e. meeting both conditions of being at an appointed place and at an appointed time).
Repair: to betake oneself (to an appointed place). Intransitive verb.

Dang, I didn't realize this was uncommon usage. Maybe that's the reason no one understands me.

eta: anyone who appreciates the use of 'repair' as an intransitive verb is, by definition, sexy.

eta2: the military usage includes time as well as place ... I've encountered that in literature, although the dictionaries don't mention it.

Last edited by orthodoc; 03-25-2014 at 08:24 PM.
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #1140
monster
I hear them call the tide

I don't think it is all that uncommon, someone just doesn't get out much