The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #5296
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Theoretical question: if your indoor-cat-who-is-always-inexplicably-outdoors were to be killed by a neighbor's dog who had broken free of its leash, would you fault the neighbor or accept it as a risk you took in letting your cat outside?

(No pets died in the making of this post. )
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #5297
glatt

If the neighbors made a good faith effort to restrain the dog, and the dog broke free, then that's an accident, and I don't think they are to blame. (The law may think differently.) Allowing a cat to roam free outside is taking many risks. Safety can not be guaranteed or expected.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #5298
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'd be inclined, if I could afford it, to offer to contribute to any vet costs if the cat hadn't been killed outright. But I think legally there would be no fault. As long as the dog hasn't been allowed to roam, and doesn't attack people or other dogs.

I think it's a fairly accepted thing that dogs will chase and even attack cats without necessarily being considered 'dangerous dogs' as such.

It would also probably depend on where the dog was when it attacked. If it went into next door's garden and killed next door's cat; then the dog's owners would be liable for any costs incurred or distress caused (I think), even if the owners had gone to reasonable lengths to keep the dog contained.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #5299
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I'm inclined to think it's an accident, but some friends on FB have said the dog should be put down and that they would sue the dog's owners.

Nobody euthanizes and sues a cat for killing a bird, right? Interesting to me the difference.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #5300
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

A friend also keeps saying that dog could attack a baby next! Which I feel is totally apples to oranges.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #5301
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatl View Post
and that they would sue the dog's owners.
That's just ridiculous. How are they going to prove some sort of financial loss over the death of the cat? If the cat was very valuable, maybe as a breeding cat, they might have a case, but then they would be negligent to allow such an expensive cat to roam free. A coyote or fox could take the cat, or a car could hit it, or it could get trapped somewhere, or catch a disease. The cat owners are more to blame than the dog owner. And it was probably just a regular cat anyway. Loved, sure, but not of any financial value.

Dog owners are generally held responsible for the actions for their animals, so they do bear responsibility. But if the cat died, what are they supposed to do? Buy a new one?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #5302
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Most dogs have a natural instinct to chase and hunt if an animal runs. A baby won't run.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #5303
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Legally, I believe the dog-owner would be liable.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #5304
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Loved, sure, but not of any financial value.
Like children?

Quote:
But if the cat died, what are they supposed to do? Buy a new one?
They're supposed to do the same thing as if the dog dented someone's car, or chewed up their fancy plastic fence. Fix it, or replace it, and provide compensation for loss. Loss of, whatever, value, affection, appearance, performance, companionship, peace of mind...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #5305
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I updated my Tapatalk app and hate the new layout. Grumble.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #5306
glatt

Thanks for the warning.

That's another update I won't be getting.

I've got the iPhone 4S and didn't do the iOS upgrade, and I've heard nothing but grumbling about it. Glad I didn't make that jump.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #5307
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I updated to iOS 7 and it's different, but not causing me any problems. I rather like the interface. I also have a iPhone 4S. Ordered a 5S at the end of September; we'll see how many weeks it takes to ship. In the meantime, my 4S has signaled its impending end via a clouded screen and no sounds whatsoever unless I have the phone open and active. So I miss all my calls, texts, and emails.

Also, my 'net has been down for 3 days. I've resorted to Starbucks, which this afternoon is filled with young girls sitting together at tables, staring at their phones, and not drinking coffee or buying anything else.

Finally scored a table though, and an outlet as well! Yowza!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #5308
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

@Ortho

Have you tried rebooting. I had a couple of minor issues with ios7 but that fixed em.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #5309
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Yes, I've rebooted the modem and router multiple times, gone into the router page and checked things, and finally called Comcast. They couldn't reboot it from their end so I get to wait for the cable guy tomorrow.

I could've saved myself all the rebooting if I'd just turned on the TV. It's conveniently displaying a giant message that says 'A problem with your connection has been detected. Please call Comcast'.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #5310
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Thanks for the warning.

That's another update I won't be getting.

I've got the iPhone 4S and didn't do the iOS upgrade, and I've heard nothing but grumbling about it. Glad I didn't make that jump.
In a moment of mental abstraction, for which I never can forgive myself, I updated to IOS7.

I shan't bore you with the hideous details and fallout of that debacle, but the upshot is: if I ever meet an Apple employee I will punch them in the neck and summarily beat the shit out of them, just for being an apple employee. I don't care if they are head of marketing or the janitor, they are getting an ass kicking.

I'm not proud of this next part, but I will probably piss on them while they lie on the ground, moaning.

Tags
mild cheddar