The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #121
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Blackfeet is an anglicization. And blackfoot isn't? ...
Quote:
anglicise (third-person singular simple present anglicises, present participle anglicising, simple past and past participle anglicised) (non-Oxford British spelling)

1. (transitive) To make English, as to customs, culture, pronunciation, spelling, or style.

2. (transitive) To dub or translate into English.

3. (transitive) To become English.
The first definition was applied to distinguish between the translation and the modified translation. We don't think of people as having foot, we think of them as having feet … excepting footfootfoot of course.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #122
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

♫ Oh they up and call me Blackfoot
♪ but my real name in A Siksika
♫ When they up and call us Blackfeet
♪ I feel the urge to scalp the sucka
Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #123
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I would suggest that by 1984 we should have known better, but if we can agree that actual minstrel show blackface is out of line in 2019 at least we've evolved from 1849. We've gotten pretty Facebookie in this thread with our references to the stupidest most easily triggered in our fair (oops) land. The edges of this thing are changing because the victims (trigger word for the other side) now have some political and economic power.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Blackface

Partly from a love of music, and partly from curiosity to see persons of color exaggerating the peculiarities of their race, we were induced last evening to hear these Serenaders. The Company is said to be composed entirely of colored people, and it may be so. We observed, however, that they too had recourse to the burnt cork and lamp black, the better to express their characters and to produce uniformity of complexion. Their lips, too, were evidently painted, and otherwise exaggerated. Their singing generally was but an imitation of white performers, and not even a tolerable representation of the character of colored people. Their attempts at wit showed them to possess a plentiful lack of it, and gave their audience a very low idea of the shrewdness and sharpness of the race to which they belong. With two or three exceptions, they were a poor set, and will make themselves ridiculous wherever they go. We heard but one really fine voice among the whole, and that was Cooper's, who is truly an excellent singer; and a company possessing equal ability with himself, would no doubt, be very successful in commanding the respect and patronage of the public generally. Davis (the Bones) too, is certainly a master player; but the Tambourine was an utter failure. B. Richardson is an extraordinary character. His Virginia Breakdown excelled anything which we have ever seen of that description of dancing. He is certainly far before the dancer in the Company of the Campbells. We are not sure that our readers will approve of our mention of those persons, so strong must be their dislike of everything that seems to feed the flame of American prejudice against colored people; and in this they may be right, but we think otherwise. It is something gained when the colored man in any form can appear before a white audience; and we think that even this company, with industry, application, and a proper cultivation of their taste, may yet be instrumental in removing the prejudice against our race. But they must cease to exaggerate the exaggerations of our enemies; and represent the colored man rather as he is, than as Ethiopian Minstrels usually represent him to be. They will then command the respect of both races; whereas now they only shock the taste of the one, and provoke the disgust of the other. Let Cooper, Davis and Richardson bring around themselves persons of equal skill, and seek to improve, relying more upon the refinement of the public, than its vulgarity; let them strive to conform to it, rather than to cater to the lower elements of the baser sort, and they may do much to elevate themselves and their race in popular estimation.

Frederick Douglass, "Gavitt's Original Ethiopian Serenaders," The North Star (Rochester, N. Y.: 29 June 1849).
Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #124
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I keep thinking Ben Carson should fit in to this discussion.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #125
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Is this disparaging? It was a legendary performance.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #126
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  error.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  24.0 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:20 AM   #127
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Y'know, I make a meager living correcting words written by other people, and I'm pretty darned good at it, but this shit . . .

Quote:
third-person singular simple present anglicises, present participle anglicising, simple past and past participle anglicised

??? I got nuthin'. Furthermore, I couldn't diagram a sentence to save my sweet patootie.

Because, seriously, WTF?
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #128
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure would take a lot of paper to print a book like that.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #129
Griff
still says videotape

When I was in 7th and 8th grade we did a shit-ton of this work. I was actually getting pretty solid on it, at which point I never looked at diagramming again. I can barely write a sentence anymore. I remember the book we were using, mostly because my buddies' older brother cut his in half with a band saw and told him he never wanted to see him bringing school work home again.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #130
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Diagramming sentences is mox-nix; but, I'm intrigued by all of your buddies having the same older brother!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #131
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
BTW Philly is aware of the Hebrew Israelites. They gather downtown and by Temple regularly to protest that whitey must be killed.
Welp, the Jersey City mass shooting yesterday was those Hebrew Israelites, actually taking those words to heart. They shot up a kosher market.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #132
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not ETA: I say "those Hebrew Israelites", but it was a guy and a gal at the shooting, and the guy has been linked to the Hebrew Israelites, but the gal has not.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #133
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Breaking: CNN has settled the lawsuit brought by Covington Catholic student Nick Sandman.

Terms were not disclosed. Cases against NBC Universal and the Washington Post continue.

The Washington Post has never issued a correction to their story.

~

In an unrelated matter, I have used my special mod powers and undeleted my post #4 in this thread. I deleted it one minute after posting, because A) I was being an asshole, and B) it was way too early in the news cycle to confirm there was a narrative problem at hand.

A) I am sorry for being an asshole. B) There was a narrative problem at hand.