The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 6th, 2016: Roundabouts

Roundabouts are common in England, some of them mind boggling. Here not so much. I know of a couple in PA and
some in Jersey, but many were eliminated by road improvements. They are making a comeback, I saw a bunch of
new ones in MA, and read PA is recommending them.

I hate them. The theory is good, but in the real world they suck because... people. Half the fools stop and look left
like it's a stop sign, then wait until they can't see anyone coming, instead of yield and merge.

Quote:
Is confusion a good way to encourage safer driving? That seems to be the idea behind a new traffic calming ploy
in Cambridge, England. The city reopened a remodeled street last week featuring what appears, at first, to be
a roundabout. Look carefully, however, and you’ll notice that it isn’t a roundabout at all. It’s simply a circle of bricks
laid into the street and adjoining sidewalk. It’s practical function is essentially nothing.

Quote:
Or is it? The city’s thinking is that drivers will instinctively slow down when they approach this ghost roundabout.
When they get closer, they will realize they’re actually on a normal street, and accelerate—but in the meantime
they will have slowed down and watched the road more carefully on what could be a potentially dangerous corner.
What about after they've driven through it a couple times?

link