The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #31
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think I've mentioned this:

Once upon a time, Mom&Popdigr vacated in the north-east. When they got up closer to Maine, they started seeing these signs at almost every county line: "[xx number] People Killed In Moose/Car Collisions since Jan. 1st". They even saw more than one store with signs at the door like: "This Store Has Lost [xx number] of Employees To Moose/Car Collisions".

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #32
Snakeadelic
Banned

Some (hopefully) interesting factoids on deer and other critters...

Freight trains in moose habitat attach huge chevron-shaped steel pieces to the front of the lead locomotive, because a bull moose in breeding season is aggressive enough to stay on the tracks with its head down and wait for the "challenger" to come to him. No, he won't survive...but he can derail the train in the process if it doesn't have a 'moose kicker' on the front.

Recent molecular DNA research shows that the mule deer may be a hybrid between whitetails and the Sitka and Columbia black-tailed deer. Some research also suggests that the majority of this hybridization took place as recently as 8,000 years ago.

In some eastern seaboard areas where hunting is strictly forbidden and the forest isn't stocked with nutritious plants, deer overpopulation has led to worse things than vehicle hits and garden destruction. Some areas are so short of trace minerals and other crucial nutrients that deer will gnaw fresh roadkill and have been filmed eating live songbirds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk It follows a fallen baby that's too young to fly, ignoring its parents' mobbing and then just randomly grabbing and eating the grounded bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q91dUtDYkU (dead ones, too)

I've only seen still shots of adult and subadult whitetails gnawing on large roadkill, and I'm not doing an image search for that because I'm sure there's a relevant watchlist I don't want to land on! The solution isn't supplementary feeding or further protection from hunting, but the eastern US seems to have a serious concentration of people who think the value of a wild animal is measured in how cute it is. I've got a strong enough stomach to watch the documentary series Infested, and what a colony of (legally protected from all harm save natural predation and provable accidents) squirrels can do to a home and the family living in it is both disgusting and terrifying.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
but the eastern US seems to have a serious concentration of people who think the value of a wild animal is measured in how cute it is.
That's true, plus they're allied with the anti-gun nuts, the don't kill any of god's creatures even mosquitos nuts, and the just give the deer birth control nuts. Add them up and you have a large vocal front which attract the duh OK nuts.

Another problem with Meeses, is when the snow is deep the easiest path is a road or railroad tracks, we thoughtfully plow for them. Even if they don't want to challenge the train, if the snow is eight feet high on both sides they ponder too long. It takes a long time for a train to stop.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #34
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Any train that stops for a moose is a stupid train.