The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-19-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
ThisOleMiss
Resident President

Pilots

At the risk of offending all you stick jokeys out there, every time I hear someone say they're a pilot, I get a flashback to the movie Independence Day where they're asking for volunteer pilots and and the drunk guy, played by Randy Quaid, stumbles up and says "Im'a pilot, I can fly".

I'm also married to a pilot. My husband builds and flies ultralights and gliders (yes, he is insured) so I'm use to being around all sorts of pilots. No, I don't fly. Haven't flown since 1984 and don't plan on doing it again unless I absolutly have to. I'm way to claustraphobic.

Anyway, Ya'll have a good weekend

Maggie M.....
Old 09-20-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

no offense taken here. there are plenty of "randy quaids" out there but at the same time we safe pilots outnumber them
Old 09-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
lisa
Etherial

Re: Pilots

Quote:
Originally posted by ThisOleMiss
the drunk guy, played by Randy Quaid, stumbles up and says "Im'a pilot, I can fly".
Don't forget, though, that he saved the day and, therefore, the world!

Hell, until I had my daughter (4 years ago), *I* would have volunteered if that situation had occured. "Yup! I can fly!"
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When my first wife's mother got her pilots license and bought a 2 seat plane, she offered me a ride. I cheerfully agreed after my wife threatened me with permanent lackanookie.
So we take off and fly around Eastern MA for a while and she says were getting low on gas so we better head back to the airport. I readly agreed. So she tells me to get the chart out of the map pocket and figure out where we are. SAY WHAT?!?
Well I reach into the map pocket and come out with a road map. You know, like you get at the gas station. Well you did back then anyway. Sure enough, we followed the highways and back roads until she could see the airport.
Six months later she and he husband flew to Montserrat in the Caribbean. Damn if I know how.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:08 PM   #5
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

They used a placemat from a $100 burger joint. That's what I always use to navigate. That and dipping down to read highway signs and water towers.

Brian
Old 09-21-2003, 01:43 PM   #6
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

My dad has been a pilot since before I was born, so naturally I grew up right stick in the cockpit of Cessna's and occasionally a twin engine Grumman.

On a trip from London Gatwick to Exeter when I was 15, the little twin engine commuter plane was full, so I got to sit in the cockpit. The pilot, an older man (late 40's), was very friendly, and let me put the earphones on, showed me the instrumentation. When I wasn't as impressed as he thought I'd be, he inquired if I'd ever been in a plane before. I explained I'd flown a plane similar (but much smaller). He smiled and gave me the "advanced" version of the tour.

A half an hour into the flight, the pilot asked if I was comfortable with the plane, I said yes, so he got up and went to the loo!

Here I am, 15 years old, flying a commuter airplane full of people. Scared to death. Luckily, there isn't much to do when you're up there, so I just kept it level and straight, and he came back and all was well.

My grandmother, who was on the flight, and knew I was seated in the cockpit, was very much concerned when she saw the pilot walk by her on the way to the loo. She decided she'd never fly that airline again.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:02 PM   #7
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
They used a placemat from a $100 burger joint. That's what I always use to navigate. That and dipping down to read highway signs and water towers.

Brian
hey brian are you talking about the "poor man's IFR?" (I Follow Roads)

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
"Here I am, 15 years old, flying a commuter airplane full of people. Scared to death. Luckily, there isn't much to do when you're up there, so I just kept it level and straight, and he came back and all was well."
OnyxCougar [/b]
my very first time flying an airplane was up in the Great Slave Lake area of the great white north. it was a dehavelin beaver float plane. you should have seen my dad's face when he figured out the pilot was letting me fly! i was all of almost 14 years old! i had a blast doing it then and still do to this day! no matter what is troubling me i can always go grab some airtime and forget every trouble i have on the ground! it's my "peace on earth"

Old 09-22-2003, 06:39 PM   #8
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I was planning on being a Pilot(it's the reason I'm here in North Dakota) But changed my mind when I realized how godawfull expensive it is. Still would like to get my Pilots liscense though.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:36 PM   #9
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
I was planning on being a Pilot(it's the reason I'm here in North Dakota) But changed my mind when I realized how godawfull expensive it is. Still would like to get my Pilots liscense though.
look around cam, for instance down here in houston, you can spend upwards of 5-7 grand or if you shop around you can find some pretty good deals. for instance two summers ago i found an airline pilot with a piper tomahawk for 45/hr wet (i.e. fuel included) and he charged 20/hr for instruction. most pilots take an average of 60 hrs to complete their training but albeit the faa req's only 40. in a nut shell if you shop around and find a deal, you could spend under 4 grand total, and you pay as you go so it doesn't hurt so bad!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:55 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by plthijinx
no matter what is troubling me i can always go grab some airtime and forget every trouble i have on the ground! it's my "peace on earth"
One of my longest and dearest friends is currently about to get his license, and I can't wait. I am *so* gonna bum a lot of free airtime with him. I plan on shooting a bunch of aerial photos while I'm at it.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:08 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Careful Els, those pilots are all crazy you know.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:46 PM   #12
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've known this guy for about 32 years, and yeah, he's certifiable. He's also paranoid, and therefore a safety freak in all aspects of his life. The only fireman I've ever known who, so far, hasn't been injured on the job except while playing touch football.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:40 PM   #13
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
Originally posted by plthijinx

look around cam, for instance down here in houston, you can spend upwards of 5-7 grand or if you shop around you can find some pretty good deals. for instance two summers ago i found an airline pilot with a piper tomahawk for 45/hr wet (i.e. fuel included) and he charged 20/hr for instruction. most pilots take an average of 60 hrs to complete their training but albeit the faa req's only 40. in a nut shell if you shop around and find a deal, you could spend under 4 grand total, and you pay as you go so it doesn't hurt so bad!
I can't remember what UND was charging when I came here, I just remember I didn't want to pay for school and flying when I wasn't sure I really wanted to be a Pilot and knew I enjoyed working with computers.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:06 PM   #14
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam

I can't remember what UND was charging when I came here, I just remember I didn't want to pay for school and flying when I wasn't sure I really wanted to be a Pilot and knew I enjoyed working with computers.
then try this....go to www.beapilot.com and get your $49 discovery flight. shop around a little bit first though. it's very helpfull to start and end yor training with the same c.f.i. (certified flight instructor). it's hard to do though. from start to present i've had approx. 25 cfi's. hell, just getting my private i had 3. most end up taking a job w/the airline and not look back. b/c of that i have sworn to this day that when i get my cfi i WILL finish with my students to what we started out to achieve rating wise. and then once established with an airline i WILL start teaching again. it would be a shame to not pass on what i have learned. one thing you'll always hear in aviation is "give back" and any rating you achieve is a "license to learn".
Old 09-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

One of my longest and dearest friends is currently about to get his license, and I can't wait. I am *so* gonna bum a lot of free airtime with him. I plan on shooting a bunch of aerial photos while I'm at it.
watch out for the glare from the wind screen! don't use a flash if you don't have to. i have some pretty cool pics i can post but they're all at work so i'll post'em later. one in particular i took just after dark (with a flash) right before touch down at sugarland muni. it's a good one! i'll post it in the next day or so.....