The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

It has been decided

I'm getting a hedgehog. I mean how can you even try to resist one of these little fuckers?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Holy Shit. My new roommate really wants to get one next month. I am completely open to the idea.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Not to dissuade you, but the little guys stink up the place just like a ferret or any caged mammal. Gotta spend a good amount of time keeping the cage clean.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I love the little critters. I've always felt blessed when one has chosen our garden or purlieus.

When I first moved away from home and shared a house (17) it was very damp. I wandered downstairs one night very thirsty; because I had been drinking. I stepped on a slug in the kitchen - retch! Luckily, the fact I'd been drinking made me able to retain my cookies, as it were.

We took to sleeping with the back door open (we had nothing to steal!) to allow the hedgehogs in.

We have one at the moment, which peripatetically visits our shed. I leave out nuts and sliced bananas. They are sposed to like catfood, but we have too many greedy cats to make that viable.

Wild hodgepigs are riddled with fleas....

Last edited by Sundae; 08-20-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Mant to Many
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

Choco and Kitsune used to have one
Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

There's a big fat one that frequents our shared gardens. Every so often I see it ambling about the place at night. I try and keep Pilau away from it, and usually I see it before he does, but he is most intrigued.

Generally speaking the most he's done is go in for a sniff then back away and bark. Except for this one time...when he decided to try hedgehog bowling. I hadn't seen the damn thing, because it was only half lit outside by a nightlight. Next thing I know Pil's there with the hedgehog right in front of him, and he just flipped it with his nose. Sent it rolling.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
'Now attend to me,' said Painted Jaguar, 'because this is very important. My mother said that when I meet a Hedgehog I am to drop him into the water and then he will uncoil, and when I meet a Tortoise I am to scoop him out of his shell with my paw. Now which of you is Hedgehog and which is Tortoise? because, to save my spots, I can't tell.'

'Are you sure of what your Mummy told you?' said Stickly-Prickly Hedgehog. 'Are you quite sure? Perhaps she said that when you uncoil a Tortoise you must shell him out of the water with a scoop, and when you paw a Hedgehog you must drop him on the shell.'

'Are you sure of what your Mummy told you?' said Slow-and-Solid Tortoise. 'Are you quite sure? Perhaps she said that when you water a Hedgehog you must drop him into your paw, and when you meet a Tortoise you must shell him till he uncoils.'

'I don't think it was at all like that,' said Painted Jaguar, but he felt a little puzzled; 'but, please, say it again more distinctly.'

'When you scoop water with your paw you uncoil it with a Hedgehog,' said Stickly-Prickly. 'Remember that, because it's important.'

'But,' said the Tortoise, 'when you paw your meat you drop it into a Tortoise with a scoop. Why can't you understand?'

'You are making my spots ache,' said Painted Jaguar; 'and besides, I didn't want your advice at all. I only wanted to know which of you is Hedgehog and which is Tortoise.'

'I shan't tell you,' said Stickly-Prickly. 'but you can scoop me out of my shell if you like.'
http://boop.org/jan/justso/armadil.htm
Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ya know, I think I want a hedgehog, too.
Attached Images

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Ya know, I think I want to be a hedgehog, too.
ftfy
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

She's going to get a surprise when he starts nest-building in the undergrowth!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think we'd see it if there was any undergrowth.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

a shot like that can make most any fella's under groweth
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yeah, I know...For a minute there I thought I had a tumor.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 AM   #14
grynch
the big Cheese

thats quite some impressive hedgehog there !

just as by-the-by ... mrs and I have a hedgehog living in our backgarden.... he does a good job of keeping the snails in check and gets the occasional treat of "lil caesars" dog food ( his favourite brand )
grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 AM   #15
grynch
the big Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
She's going to get a surprise when he starts nest-building in the undergrowth!
I'm guessing there is no undergrowth there.
grynch is offline   Reply With Quote