The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Cellar Shooters

I'm looking at you Merc and UG and whoever else.

Stag Arms Model 3.

Thoughts? Planning on getting into rifle target shooting, always loved trap shooting with a 12gauge but I'm more interested in grouping shots at distance and moving on to "tactical" exercises. Interested in distances 50yds and out to start. Or should I take the plunge and buy a separate upper and lower and build the thing myself.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Paging Mr. Slang and Ms. Wolf...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

safari arms has some nice choices Right out of the box
Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're gonna shoot your eye out.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thumbs up

Oh, Bruce, really!

Okay, so Bullitt likes Eugene Stoner's direct gas action. Within about 350-400 meters seems to be the 5.56mm round's strength for fine target shooting. Its military effective range is considered to be 450.

And he's scoping the critter. Conventional wisdom is lower-magnification scopes would be the optical sight for tactical if you're scoping. Otherwise, an electro-optical thing like an Aimpoint, for tactical shooting.

Getting upper and lower halves becomes an exercise in gunsmithing and trying to do gunsmithing pretty much better than anybody else, if you're going to actually achieve a contest-winning target rifle. This is a whole 'nother skillset from picking the thing up and shooting straight. Well, if you've got that kind of shop, you know better than I do how you'd go about it.

If I had that kind of gunsmithing shop and skill and was looking to step up thataway, I'd get the whole rifle first, shoot with that a good lot, and then get the upper and lower receiver, impressively accurate barrel and desirable bolt and trigger groups, and whatever whizbang buffer is being touted -- the second rifle, assembled per my personal tweaks. More money, but more guns too.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
"It's just an eye. The gods saw fit to bless me with a spare."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Oh, Bruce, really!

Okay, so Bullitt likes Eugene Stoner's direct gas action. Within about 350-400 meters seems to be the 5.56mm round's strength for fine target shooting. Its military effective range is considered to be 450.

And he's scoping the critter. Conventional wisdom is lower-magnification scopes would be the optical sight for tactical if you're scoping. Otherwise, an electro-optical thing like an Aimpoint, for tactical shooting.

Getting upper and lower halves becomes an exercise in gunsmithing and trying to do gunsmithing pretty much better than anybody else, if you're going to actually achieve a contest-winning target rifle. This is a whole 'nother skillset from picking the thing up and shooting straight. Well, if you've got that kind of shop, you know better than I do how you'd go about it.

If I had that kind of gunsmithing shop and skill and was looking to step up thataway, I'd get the whole rifle first, shoot with that a good lot, and then get the upper and lower receiver, impressively accurate barrel and desirable bolt and trigger groups, and whatever whizbang buffer is being touted -- the second rifle, assembled per my personal tweaks. More money, but more guns too.
I'm thinking of starting scoping, get used to the rifle and its quirks and then try slapping on a red-dot and doing the tactical thing.

My limited but building knowledge is coming from ar15.com, where they made it out to be not too difficult to assemble your own weapon from scratch. I don't have any gunsmithing materials in my house, so that seems out of the question now. Last person to own a gun in my family was my great-grandfather in WWI.

What do you personally prefer shooting UG? Gun, caliber, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
"It's just an eye. The gods saw fit to bless me with a spare."
And hey, half-price discount on that LASIK surgery!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

i love it when threads merge.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Paging Mr. Slang and Ms. Wolf...
Yep, actual shooters will give you first hand info.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I actually was shot in the eye with a BB gun when working at a Scout camp. Luckily, it was a riccochet, so I didn't have to rely on my spare for more than a couple hours.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Not what I was expecting or hoping for when i saw the title of this thread.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Me personally I don't like the stock set up or the length of the barrel on that Stag for target shooting.

I've shot competitively at the Army Small Arms competition, the Inter service Match, and the National Match. I continue to shoot EIC matches, we are able to shoot up to 4 in any calendar year. I'm not sure what to recommend, I have been duly challenged shooting the service rifle. There are a few brands that make a match service rifle that does pretty well out of the box. Rock River and Bushmaster comes to mind off the top of my head, but there are more. Google match service rifle. You will be forced to shoot iron sights for competition, this will teach you proper shooting technique, I think this is better to learn before shooting with optics.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program, or CMP, hold competitions all over the states as does the NRA. Competition distances are 200, 300, and 600 yards. 70 grain 5.56 rounds, with a match rifle are very accurate out to 600 yards. (550 m) Although I've done fairly well with a "rack" rifle at the same distance with 55 grain rounds. You will also need to look into a good leather sling, spotting scope, a shooting jacket, and some gloves if you want to be competitive down the line. These are not necessary to start out, but they will certainly help. Especially the sling, don't skimp. Some kind of "shooting stool" will also make life easier on the range.

If you do want to get into target shooting with the service style rifle, let me know and I can send you some info on wind, weather and ballistics. You will need to learn some simple math, and how to think in mils. Or fractions of a degree. The circles on a target used in target shooting are set up so that you can quickly and effectivly figure out how many mils up/down, left/right to adjust for wind, weather, lighting etc...

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Damn, too late to edit. When I said mils in the earlier post, I meant minutes of angle, and fractions of minutes of angle. Usually .25 and .5, to full minutes. It takes a little getting used to, but the math is pretty easy.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm your go-to-girl for pistols, but rifles are not my area of expertise. I have heard very good things about Anschutz and Sako.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I like this thread.

I had never shot a gun (besides a pellet gun and a few squirt guns) until Labor Day weekend. My husband, who has been shooting them all his life, bought a 12 gauge the week before and we took it up to the cabin in the mountains to try it out. I will say that my opinion about guns has changed so much since he taught me how to use it. Now I am very excited to learn more about different kinds of guns and how to use them. Thanks for posting this thread, Bullitt.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote