The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-29-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

In other news...

Bullitt has officially changed from a Special Education major to a History major. Long story, but overall a progressive change in my schooling career. This will allow me to graduate in as little as two more semesters plus summer classes, or 3 semesters w/o said summer classes as opposed to 2 more years if I stayed on the special ed. path. FYI, I've been in college since Fall '04. New long term goal is to dip my toes in the professional firefighting waters by getting a couple certs. and doing volunteer in my town this coming summer of '08, and going professional if it fits me after I graduate (which would be either January '09 or May '09).

Questions, comments, suggestions, snide remarks?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Sounds like a plan. Stick to it or change it as your path swerves.

I started college in 2001, and graduated in December 2006. I started one adventure and switched to another when a good opportunity presented itself. Some people might try to make you feel bad about not 'staying the course.' Don't listen to them.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Good luck!
I started in August of '04 on my English Ed. degree and it looks like I won't be getting out of here until May of '09. It'll go by faster than we think it will. Hopefully.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I started in '82 and finished in '00 - lotta life in between, but do what you feel is best for you as long as you finish it!
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

If you're coping financially college/uni is normally a great time. I see no need to rush finishing it.
Says he who spent more than 12 years at uni .

I recall your descriptions of being messed around by bureaucracy in getting the bits of paper that would actually allow you to teach, so I can't blame you for changing course.
The fireman thing seems a bit out of the blue, but you sound like you have a viable plan there too. Either one looks good.

Better than going to that job fair in China!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I applaud you. The path of education is more important than the piece of paper. Bravo!
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Good for you, Bullitt. Explore whichever topics move you. It sounds like you are moved toward positions of helping others. That's admirable.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

Yay! another history major. you can join me as a financial advisor. or you can be a car salesman. or a mortgage guy. or a researcher. or a writer. or a teacher. or firefighter. or entrepreneur. or...

the point is that unless you are going into a specific field that requires a specific degree (doctor, lawyer, teacher) your degree is 100% irrelevent after your first post-graduation job. that you have A degree is the part that matters. So enjoy the major that you choose. I loved history. still do.

I started out as history major, secondary education program. graduated with double major in history/foreign policy with not quite minors in psych and soc. none of those areas has specifically applied to my convoluted career path. they were fun things i was interested in and gave me something to focus on while getting that piece of paper. Enjoy school.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I started out as history major, secondary education program. graduated with double major in history/foreign policy with not quite minors in psych and soc. none of those areas has specifically applied to my convoluted career path. they were fun things i was interested in and gave me something to focus on while getting that piece of paper. Enjoy school.
Good advice. I had the not quite minor in English, and not not not quite minor in Art History, because I enjoy those things. My liberal arts school required me to take a little of everything, then I filled in electives with things that interested me. The expanded horizons can never be taken away from me!
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Bullitt

Thanks everybody. I considered there for awhile switching to a different school this spring and completing their fire sciences program. But after I looked at how close I was to completing my degree here in history, I decided that finishing up here, then moving on was the best route.

And in other, other news, an entire box of clementines I just bought at Walmart has molded in a week's time....
Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

History is awesome. I wish I had taken a ton more of it. You're lucky B! Take it all in man!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Bullitt

Oh I will UT, I read history type books for fun. 1776, Band of Brothers, The Things They Carried, etc.

My schedule for next semester:

American History I, History of Modern China, History and Politics of the Middle East, and Modern Europe. Oh baby.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

I did undergrad in history grad in SpEd... do what you like, make adjustments as needed.