The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 05-05-2003, 09:06 PM   #31
Cam
dripping with ignorance

you need to go to your user Cp, it's in the top right corner. THen near the top you will see a link entitled edit ignor list. If you click on that you should be able to figure out how to remove him.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #32
Billy
Professor

I corrected it

Thank you. you are warm hearted.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:57 AM   #33
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

I'm really interested in the Chinese space program, particularly the Shenzhou manned-space capsule. I think capsules like Shenzhou, Soyuz, and Apollo are the way to go: small capsules to move people to and from the ISS. I think it would be very cool if China got involved in the International Space Station in some way, or at least have Chinese 'Taikonauts' visit the ISS on a regular basis.

What do you think, Billy?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:57 AM   #34
Billy
Professor

I support China space program

The human being technology need all of us to build. China should offer our power to advance human progress. We have our advantages to develop something, and have yours. Then we all improve the progress.

The space program would drive other industry progress, like steel, energy, in China. It is a good chance to challenge difficuties.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hi Billy, next question of many. What does your keyboard on your computer look like? Do they make keyboards with Chinese characters on them? I think I've seen pictures of typewriters with Chinese characters. Is the Cantonese (sp) dialect the "national" language? OK, make that the next couple questions.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #36
Billy
Professor

China Keyboard and Mandarin

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
What does your keyboard on your computer look like?
I use Compaq 5500 type PC. There are some Chinese words on "Tab", "Enter", ect.

Quote:
Do they make keyboards with Chinese characters on them?
Ago we made the kwyboard with Chinese so that the people easily learn to use it because then few people can expertly operatecomputer. Now more and more people can earsily use. So it has few Chinese words.

Quote:
Is the Cantonese (sp) dialect the "national" language?
No, Cantonese is not the "National" language. We use Mandarin, based on Beijingnese. Cantonese is popular in HongKong, Canton and GuangXi. To be frank, I speak dialect. It make troubles to my work and communication.

Of courese, I can teach you if want to learn Chinese.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:19 AM   #37
Bitman
cellar smellar

Re: I am me, not capitalist running dog

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy
Yellow river water
Umm, over here that means something different. :p (Think yellow snow.)

That was a joke, I hope you're not offended by it. Which brings me to the shallow question: Tell us a joke! Tell us one with some Chinese context behind it, and after we're done being confused, you can explain it.

Now the deep question: Sometimes I feel that the U.S. really is a young nation, as we argue over things that really aren't that important. How do you feel about the Chinese civilization as a whole? Do you feel the grandeur of the country, its vast population, and its great age? Or is the "old" China obsolete, as you and your generation are free to find a new way of life?
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:51 AM   #38
Billy
Professor

Chinese Civilization

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitman
Tell us one with some Chinese context behind it, and after we're done being confused, you can explain it.
The China history that we can track origined from Yellow River in Henan province, my home town. The forebears started new life here. Then more people come out from here. But we all think Yellow River is our saintly area. The forebears depended on the River in old time. They drank river water, irrigated agriculture using river... So the Yellow River is our Chinese symbol. We like saying that our blood is Yellow River Water.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitman
Sometimes I feel that the U.S. really is a young nation, as we argue over things that really aren't that important. How do you feel about the Chinese civilization as a whole? Do you feel the grandeur of the country, its vast population, and its great age? Or is the "old" China obsolete, as you and your generation are free to find a new way of life?
I like Chinese civilization as a whole. The Chinese civilization is one of the most rare world civilizations. We should save, protect, absord, create it to make it more beautiful. The human live on forebears' efforts. We can not lose history. History is one mirror.

Chinese civilization is so abundant that I can not use a few words to summarize. Difference people have different views on it. For me, I think the Chinese Civilization is old, abundant, beautiful, great... In China families tradition the more people you have in home the more happiness you would get. And age is the fortune. Age represent experiences and knowledges. In old agriculture time the experiences and knowledges are very important for people to fight with the nature.

My generation people should absord the China Civilization and world civilization to bulid a new civilization that has tradition Chinese civilization and new civilization. The civilization would lose his strong life force if we add and create new civilization.

I think any civilization need other civilization. In globalizition time any country and civilization is alone. So I also like Americam civilization. The Americam civilization is young and vital. You have no past to worry about. You have a vital power to challenge future. In modern age many innovation and new technologies were born in America. China worry about losing tradition civilization and can not find a good way to develop it. So we lag behind you.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:38 AM   #39
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
I think I've seen pictures of typewriters with Chinese characters.
Not to be confused with MC Hammer's dance, known as the Chinese Typewriter.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:01 PM   #40
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Not to be confused with MC Hammer's dance, known as the Chinese Typewriter.
Seriously, man. Get with the now. (Not the NOW now, but the here&now.)

"Hello. This is the 80's calling. Could someone tell sycamore's mom that he's ready to be picked up?"
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #41
elSicomoro

If you're going to bag on me do it right...the Chinese Typewriter was all the rage in 1990-91.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:29 PM   #42
warch
lurkin old school

Hi Billy,
Its great to have you here and so kind as to answer all of our questions!

I am curious what you think about the rule to have only one child. Has this caused any controversy? Are people very disappointed to have a girl?

I ask because I have a friend here in the US who has adopted two daughters from China. She is a single mother, and very committed to teaching and honoring their Chinese heritage. Last year she took her oldest daughter back to China at age 6 to visit the orphanage and village that cared for her the first two years of her life. It has helped her have great pride and a start to understanding her own story.

What do you think of these international adoptions?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #43
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
If you're going to bag on me do it right...the Chinese Typewriter was all the rage in 1990-91.
Weren't you one of the characters typing up about Flock of Seagulls?
I also had no idea that Hammer's dance had a name, but let's hear it for the New Jack Swing.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:51 PM   #44
elSicomoro

Indeed...I can talk about almost any type of music...it makes for interesting conversations.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:35 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
China worry about losing tradition civilization and can not find a good way to develop it.
Do you mean incorporate the traditional Chinese way of life into the new ways, or to preserve the history.
Preserving the history would probably best be done through tourism. That would finance it and give people reason to preserve it. Money talks.
As for incorporating tradition into modern life, you can see what's happening in Japan. The more wealthy each generation becomes, the more they want to change. That's a difficult problem.
One of the reasons the USA was sucessful as a nation was common language. Although many languages were spoken by the people that came here, most tried to learn at least working english, to get along. That helped them to move out of the ethnic communities they settled in, when they first arrived. Now there are many people here that don't speak english at all. They are wholly dependent on the ethnic community. They are trapped.
I think it Would be a good idea for China to push for one dialect to be taught to all children. The parents could still teach them their own dialect if they wanted. But as you are experiencing at work, it's easier when everyone understands.

Teach me Chinese? It would be easier to teach a pig to tap dance.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-07-2003 at 06:38 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote