The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Sarcasm and Wit: Stephen Colbert

I cant believe I cant find mention of this performance of Colbert at the Washington press dinner. If you havent watched the video, it is noteworthy. I think its amazing, funny and important. Its cuts to the bone. Its too real.

Thought I should post a link, cause I cant see the major news outlets wanting to draw too much attention to their skewering. If you appreciate sharp sarcasm and steely delivery...enjoy.

http://thankyoustephencolbert.org/
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It was great. It started with a bit recyled from his first Colbert Report episode, and ended with a so-so skit, but the middle was gold. And if I hadn't seen the Colbert Report, the beginning would have been gold, too.

I saw a quote from some press guy complaining that these functions are supposed to be making fun of both Bush and the press, but Colbert was just making fun of Bush.

What an idiot.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

I saw a comment putting Colbert up there with Hicks, Bruce, and even Twain. This was some layered entertainment. As you realize, he wasnt just making fun, he was revealing some cringing, nauseating, unphotogenic truths about every politician, staffer, actor, writer, and PR director in the room.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
mrnoodle
bent

yeah, i've been reading some stuff on other forums where liberal types are nearly orgasmic over how Colbert PWNED!!11! bush!!! and how ballsy he was.

Obviously Bush was the main foil, but any self respecting comedian at an event like that would twist the knife a little bit. They knew what he was about when they invited him. No harm, no foul. I don't really see it as the huge victory for liberal thinking that some lefties do, but anyway.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Obviously Bush was the main foil, but any self respecting comedian at an event like that would twist the knife a little bit.
As I see it, that is somewhat similar to Colbert's point. The stuff he said about Bush wasn't all that groundbreaking. It's stuff everybody already knows - the Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday stuff was even one of Bush's campaign issues. His venom was primarily pointed at the press - any self respecting journalists should be twisting the knife a little bit.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

My sense of celebration was not so much that I've never heard it before, (Chapelle's Black Bush bit is hilarious) but (metaphor alert) that I've never seen the bubble so close to the needle, in public before. And the needle so unflapplingly sharp. And convention, publicity, decorum requiring the bubble sit and take it with a smile.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
glatt

I just watched it. You know, we see that stuff posted on the internet all the time, so it wasn't shocking material. What was shocking was that he said it all right there, in front of Bush. In front of all those people. I'm amazed that Bush even agreed to have this event.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
Happy Monkey

He goes every year; it's tradition. On a previous one, Bush's skit was about him looking under the podium for WMDs.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

See, with Americans and particulary members of the armed forces as the butt of that bit, I felt it was not funny at all. I think they had the right butts this year.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
Happy Monkey

Here's an article that says what I was trying to say.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

Great article! thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Absolutey the best roast I've seen in a while. I used to like the Friar's Club, but they have gotten to the point where it's crude without being very funny.

Colbert was dry and witty and absolutely brilliant.

The 'chocolate city' line was great.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder if Rove arranged this as a payback.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #14
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Considering that the roast was on CSPAN, I doubt much of "Red" America saw it, and if they had, I doubt their opinons would be swayed; they're entrenched. In the end, it was Colbert preaching to the choir, albeit in the enemy's church. As has been said in this string, that was its significance. I thought the video was not up to the standards of his speech, however.
Pangloss62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

I dont think Colbert was there really to sway anyone with his mocking, or to preach, really. He was there to comment. And it was a strong comment. He used humor to surface and show, or demonstrate to those gather for the press club dinner, what they were or maybe were not. They were forced to question their work and power. They were also forced to "get the bit" , which some did not, or denied. So the crickets chirped.