The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
crossfire
The White Rapper

Console and game reviews

Upon an obvious suggestion by wolf, I hereby dub this this the thread for all console and game reviews.

So, anyway, what are people's opinions on NBA Street Vol 2, even for a non fan, but someone who likes many sports games and stuff, is this a good game?
crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm afraid that I can't be of any help on that one, I don't play any sports games. I tried, some years ago, but the combination of sports that I only kind of like and a need for both eye hand coordination and intimate knowledge of the games (what is a double nickle play, anyways??) reduces my ability to have fun with it.

I would be interesting in know if anyone has played the new PS2 "Fight Club" game ... it promises realistic bone-breaking action and an opportunity to fight your way into Project Mayhem ... What I am most interested in knowing is if this is just a fighter, or if you do eventually graduate into playing through some Project Mayhem missions?

I asked the guy in the video game store, but he didn't know.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I'm still getting a lot of mileage out of my Day of Defeat (WWII) mod for Half-Life. It's mission based and not a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, but I like being able to drop in for a few rounds (pun) every now and then.

I still can't justify $10 month on top of my other entertainment expenses (cable). I was considering Guild Wars , which sounds like Everquest without the monthly fees. I tried the demo and enjoyed it. I never played Everquest or any other MMORG to compare it to, so I don't know how it stacks up.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
crossfire
The White Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I would be interesting in know if anyone has played the new PS2 "Fight Club" game ... it promises realistic bone-breaking action and an opportunity to fight your way into Project Mayhem ... What I am most interested in knowing is if this is just a fighter, or if you do eventually graduate into playing through some Project Mayhem missions?

Here is the Internet Gaming Network's review

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/566/566362p1.html

And from Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/fightclub/index.html
Old 11-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
crossfire
The White Rapper

I'm probably the only one who feels like this, and please don't come after me with a club, but I didn't get as much enjoyment playing Halo. So, I was sketchy about this one, but i reserved it because it was the popular thing to do. The guy working at ebgames said that he shared the same opinion of Halo, but after playing Halo 2, he not only gained all new respect for Microsoft, but he couldn't stop playing it. He sold 400 copies between 12 a.m. and 2 a.m., and then played from 2 to 4. He said it was so much better than the first. So I said why not. THe fact that I was even sketchy about this one is ludicrous. Even if you don't have xbox live many difficulties will keep you occupied, the double wield is incredible, and in my opinion, the game is so much more intense than the original. A great great game.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I'm just itchin to get my paws on Halo 2 . Just a plain goregous game. That and Ghost Recon 2 and Full Spectrum Warrior .
Old 12-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
crossfire
The White Rapper

Has anyone played POP: WW? How is it on Xbox?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My two stepsons and our roommate have pretty much dedicated their non-school, non-work, non-sleeping existences to Halo 2 online. I have gotten up at 4:00 in the morning to go to the bathroom and found someone playing the damn thing.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
crossfire
The White Rapper

I have heard many of the same stories.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There are reasons that I keep the PS2 unconnected from the net. I do not need an obsession to that degree.

Single player games are bad enough ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-08-2004, 07:34 PM   #11
crossfire
The White Rapper

You DO NOT need xbox live to have fun with this game. Campaign has many difficulties as it is. Xbox live would be ideal, but you can get by without it. Actually, most games you can get by with single player
Old 12-14-2004, 08:28 PM   #12
crossfire
The White Rapper

has anyone played True Crime for Xbox? And the verdict is... I'm looking for a cool game with great gameplay and graphics, obviously, and one that is fairly simple. Thanks
Old 12-14-2004, 08:46 PM   #13
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

OK, anybody had their hands on a Nintendo DS? My Gameboy Advance SP is MIA, and I'm seriously considering a DS if (as is usually the case) I end up with a couple Best Buy gift cards for Christmas.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:29 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I saw one in the store, poked at it a bit.

I'm holding off for now. It does seem that it's going to be a very interesting platform, with games that played on the N64 as part of the library.

The wireless system they have seems only to have DS to DS functionality, although I haven't researched it completely.

I'm still grooving on my SP ... and you can still get regular advances for stupid cheap. If you still have your game carts that may be the way to go. Nintendo has an unfortunate tendency to switch platforms at unexpected, and sometimes damned inconvenient times. So far they've maintained backwards compatibility on their handhelds, but that's bound to change at some point.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:53 AM   #15
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I want my SP!!! It was the one they were selling for a while that was marked like an old Super Nintendo console. It's around here somewhere, I'm pretty sure....

I see GameStop has advances for $30... that's somewhat tempting, though it'd be hard to go back after an SP, but it might be a stopgap till I feel like springing for the DS. Tho some of the DS games look interesting and/or amusing.

Yeah, the wireless is supposed to have 802.11b compatiblity in addition to the Nintendo-proprietary format but I don't see that anything is using it yet. An instant messaging client seems like an obvious application--they could use the touch screen for a stylus-tappable keyboard.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote