The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #181
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The problem is though, that by attempting to stamp out the abuse you end up actually spending more than if you just left it untackled. We spend far more on chasing/finding and prosecuting benefits fraud than we ever save in doing so.

Mostly the 'abuse' of the system isn't people living the high life and desperately avoiding work. It's more often someone who is unable to take on a full-time/permanent job claiming benefits, with a few hours a week of undeclared work (maybe £30 or so doing a cleaning job, or a few hours a week on a marketstall) often just for a few weeks at a time.

One of the problems with benefits is that if you take on a job that doesn't work out, you've lost all your benefits (including help with rent etc) and are back at the start of the process, making fresh claims that can take weeks or months. IF you've been fired from the job, or walked out (for example if your boss makes your life hell) you can't claim benefits straight away. You can get 'hardship' payments but the whole while (several months) you are building up a backlog of unpaid rent.

For many people living at the margins of the economy, their experience of emplyment is often negative: employers who treat them with little respect, fights with overbearing supervisers etc, messed about on ovetime or shifts. I know of one employer in my town who only employs on temporary contracts and whose workers regularly get to the factory to start work and are told to go home again and try tomorrow.

I believe there should be a grace period with a new job. The people who struggle most in this area, the ones who are most profoundly stuck on benefits, are often also the people most vulnerable to bad employment practice and bullying in the workplace. I can understand why they don't want to make the leap off benefits into a workplace that might chew them up and spit them out, and then leave them high and dry with no benefits.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #182
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That's why I had to depend on Steve for 3 months when I moved down here.
If I hadn't had a friend as a "landlord" I woul dhave been climbing the walls. Three months without rent. It's a very long time when you're worrying.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #183
DanaC

*nods* Oh I know it.

When I was 20 I worked in a clothes shop. The week before I turned 21 (as predicted by myself and another girl) he 'let me go' because as he put it, there wasn't enough work to justify three regular assistants. I was the senior one, I was keyholder and opened up in the morning, but, at 21 I gained certain emloyment rights that I hadn't had before.

On my 21st birthday I received notification from the benefits agency that as I had been 'fired for misconduct' I was not entitled to unemployment benefits or rent assistance.

The power of the employer in that circumstance is incredible. His power extends beyond your employment with him.

I was fortunate enough to have a partner who intervened. He 'explained' to Vash why he should revise his statement to the job centre. Even so, it took a little over 8 weeks for the personal benefit to come through and about 13 weeks for the rent.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #184
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I was the senior one, I was keyholder and opened up in the morning, but, at 21 I gained certain emloyment rights that I hadn't had before.
Weeeelll... that's the flip side of giving people all these guarantees and extensive rights and whatnot--people will go out of their way to avoid honoring them. We don't give 21-year-olds (or anyone) special employment rights here (I assume you're talking about required vacation time, or something along those lines?), and one consequence is no one has ever been fired for turning 21.

I read a very detailed article awhile back about how finding employment as a woman in the UK was actually much, much harder than in the US, because of the extensive maternity benefits employers are required to provide. It talked about how it was common practice to remove your wedding ring for an interview, and that while it was technically illegal, many employers required agreements from new female employees that they were not going to get pregnant. That would never happen here, because maternity benefits are much more moderate, and employers don't take a huge hit from providing them. There are drawbacks to every system.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #185
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
lol! Yes, I plan to sit on my lazy American ass forever. Hell, maybe I'll have a kid to get some welfare money. Because that's what people know me for. Doing absolutely nothing. No motivation whatsoever, I'm not one of those practical, pull myself up by my bootstraps people. I just sit on my lazy ass and wait for the government to figure it out for me. I don't know when the last time it was that I actually broke a sweat doing work. Hell maybe I'll get a job and injure myself at work and get to quit, with some cash in my pockets. Typical lazy American over here! Now accepting handouts! Maybe I'll come up with a mental illness to get some benefits. I feel schizophrenic just now, because I must be out of my mind if I think I just read that right. heh.
You are SO fired!
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #186
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Heh. Thanx. It took you long enough...sign here please....
Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #187
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

So in the UK they forced an added expense upon an employer and it created LESS opportunity. Hmmm, very interesting.

Last edited by classicman; 10-28-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: tense
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #188
DanaC

Well, the rules have changed somewhat since i was 21 :P

At the time, if you were under 21, you basically had no employment rights. At 21, you became covered by adult employment rights. A lot of those rights were eroded under the Thatcher government, and then reinstated by Labour, things like a minimum wage and minimum holiday rights. Nowadays, if you are under 21, you do have certain employment rights. For example there is a mimimum wage for over 21, a minmum wage for 18-21 years and a mimimum wage for 16-18 year olds.

Currently there is a campaign to take away the age grading on wages. If you do a job, you should get paid for that job the same if you are male, as female, the same if you are old as young, the same if you are black as white.

The problem wasn't that I acquired rights at 21. The problem was that I had no rights prior to that. The answer isn't to remove rights from adult workers, it's to instate them for younger workers. That way employers have no legal loophole for paying people shit wages or not allowing holidays.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #189
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
one consequence is no one has ever been fired for turning 21.
No. We just make them part-time employees so they don't get the normal benefits. Wally World is famous for this.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #190
DanaC

Unscrupulous employers will often find ways of circumventing systems put in place to protect the workforce.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #191
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Colbert assigns Obama a new religion:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...lama-surya-das

Last edited by TheMercenary; 10-28-2008 at 01:54 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #192
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Obama Accepting Untraceable Donations
Quote:
Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign is allowing donors to use largely untraceable prepaid credit cards that could potentially be used to evade limits on how much an individual is legally allowed to give or to mask a contributor's identity, campaign officials confirmed.
~ the campaign has also chosen not to use basic security measures to prevent potentially illegal or anonymous contributions from flowing into its accounts, aides acknowledged. Instead, the campaign is scrutinizing its books for improper donations the money has been deposited.

The Obama organization said its extensive review has ensured that the campaign has refunded any improper contributions, and noted that Federal Election Commission rules do not require front-end screening of donations.

In recent weeks, questionable contributions have created headaches for Obama's accounting team as it has tried to explain why campaign finance filings have included itemized donations from individuals using fake names, such as Es Esh or Doodad Pro. Those revelations prompted conservative bloggers to further test Obama's finance vetting by giving money using the kind of prepaid cards that can be bought at a drugstore and cannot be traced to a donor.

The Obama campaign has shattered presidential fundraising records, in part by capitalizing on the ease of online giving. Of the $150 million the senator from Illinois raised in September, nearly $100 million came in over the Internet.

Lawyers for the Obama operation said yesterday that their "extensive back-end review" has carefully scrubbed contributions to prevent illegal money from entering the operation's war chest. "I'm pretty sure if I took my error rate and matched it against any other campaign or comparable nonprofit, you'd find we're doing very well," said Robert Bauer, a lawyer for the campaign. "I have not seen the McCain compliance staff ascending to heaven on a cloud."

The Obama team's disclosures came in response to questions from The Washington Post about the case of Mary T. Biskup, a retired insurance manager from Manchester, Mo., who turned up on Obama's FEC reports as having donated $174,800 to the campaign. Contributors are limited to giving $2,300 for the general election.
Wow 100 million over the internet. Thats a hell of a lot of money.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #193
wafflepirate
Eavesdropper

meh

I don't think her daughter being pregnant means she's a bad mother...
Girls get pregnant.
This may be a suprise to you, but... it happens from having sex! I'm sure most of you here have done that before.

I got pregnant, I could have used a mother around.
A lot.
Instead I had a father who hit me and thought date rape was a right earned by guys with dates stupid enough to drink. Hah.

I think the fact Palin's advertising herself as a family person and won't put her campaign on hold when her daughter could probably use a mother in her life more than ever makes me question how devoted a mother she is... and if that's her selling point to the average american idiot, she's got some worries to worry about.
wafflepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #194
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've said before, and I still feel that I admire the Palin family for sticking to their morals. They are different than mine, but I admire a consistent message.

Of course the difference is that I don't believe I have the right to insist they follow my system of beliefs. I sincerely believe that following a path of abstinance through your teens is more likely to result in pregnancy than using contraceptives. Because I believe that teens are pretty likely to have sex. You can't have it both ways. You can't rail against the wickedness of sex education and readily available birth control and say this is what pushes teens into sexual activity, and then when a well-raised child gets pregnant call other people hypocrites because - gasp - they've had sex too.

I honestly think if America could throw away the bible, they'd be far better off. But of course I am biased on that point
Old 10-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #195
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Heehee, I heard a new one last night, someone called Palin "Bible Spice."

I agree that her daughter being pregnant has no relevance to any of this, except for perhaps as SG pointed out you can't deny birth control to teenagers and believe that to make bc readily available is the same as saying "go, be free, have sex!"

Palin is a strong woman, and has strong convictions. I admire that. However, her morals are not mine, and I don't want them imposed on me. That does not make me evil.

As they say "Keep your laws off my body."