The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
wafflepirate
Eavesdropper

I've been quoted!

I'm not very supportive of religion in general, because religious people are total jerks a lot of the time, and most of their refusing to accept science if it doesn't go along with literal translations of text is ridiculous.

Even still, I really hate when people say that bad things happen because there is no God.
When people just up and latch on to any excuse, usually someone else's tragedy, to fuel their disbelief in something they never supported in the first place, I just find it distasteful...

So I kinda jumped on someone's comment on a news site article about a little girl who was abused and died saying "GOD IS SICK FOR LETTING THIS HAPPEN EXCEPT HE'S NOT REAL! THIS IS WHY!!!"

Something about free will (I really believe people that suffer are better as people for surviving it, and people that help ease their suffering are better as people for helping them too)

And someone put my quote as their signature in a forum! ... I just thought that was super cool.

Sorry if I'm boasting in my first actual thread,
just wanted to share that. It made me feel special :3 I've never been quoted before, except when I say dumb things or make silly noises...
wafflepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepirate View Post
I'm not very supportive of religion in general, because religious people are total jerks a lot of the time, and most of their refusing to accept science if it doesn't go along with literal translations of text is ridiculous.

Even still, I really hate when people say that bad things happen because there is no God.
When people just up and latch on to any excuse, usually someone else's tragedy, to fuel their disbelief in something they never supported in the first place, I just find it distasteful...

So I kinda jumped on someone's comment on a news site article about a little girl who was abused and died saying "GOD IS SICK FOR LETTING THIS HAPPEN EXCEPT HE'S NOT REAL! THIS IS WHY!!!"

Something about free will (I really believe people that suffer are better as people for surviving it, and people that help ease their suffering are better as people for helping them too)

And someone put my quote as their signature in a forum! ... I just thought that was super cool.

Sorry if I'm boasting in my first actual thread,
just wanted to share that. It made me feel special :3 I've never been quoted before, except when I say dumb things or make silly noises...
oh my god~!

now you've been quoted TWICE!!!!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'd like waffles now.
Weird, I haven't had them in years.

Welcome, wafflepirate.
Any chance of you quoting the quote that someone quoted?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wafflepirate, I hope, I just hope, that you can live up to that name and talk like a pirate when the need arises.....

It's funny isn't it, the effect little things like this can have? Being quoted I mean, not talking like a pirate....though there are obvious benefits to be had there....No, I mean getting quoted. It is an undeniable buzz when someone takes your words and likes them so much they want to attach it to their sig, or put it into the Hall of Fame.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Can you quote the article? Now I'm interested.

Welcome waffle! Tell us what you were quoted saying! I'm just grabbing at straws here, was it this?

"God calls us to be people of faith, not to be total idiots. God gave us brains and the ability to diagnose and treat our illnesses. It is unfortunate that some people choose to cherry pick the scripture for things that support their bizarre beliefs. In circumstances such as this, it is also criminal. Intelligence and christianity can and do go hand in hand, at least for some of us."

Last edited by Cicero; 09-01-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm quoted here.

An interview with me resulted in a whole chapter.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Damn Wolf, that book is $68.35! I know textbooks are crazy but you should get a cut of that!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think it used to be cheaper ... what I ended up with was a copy of the textbook.

I ended up doing the interview because both of my bosses were busy with other stuff and they didn't want to bother with it.

Interesting side story ... one of my friends is a professor of Social Work, and she decided to use the textbook for one of her classes. I got an excited call from her after she had read the chapter, saying that she read it and at first thought "no, it can't be that wolf," but checked the footnotes section and saw that it was.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
wafflepirate
Eavesdropper

"[You think] God...would make the world perfect and sunshiney, so that no one would ever suffer, no one would ever need to aid the suffering, and no one would grow spiritually as a result."

I found it by googling 'junkfoodrobot' too see if anyone else ever used that... It's what I put as my user name when 'wafflepirate' is taken XD
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
wafflepirate
Eavesdropper

I'm not a writer by any stretch... XD
Old 09-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Well I have a question.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Well put, Waffle.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Welcome and well come to the Cellar, Waffle.

We might see if we can Google up Robin Williams' Top Ten Reasons to be an Episcopalian -- religion is not all about Whack-A-Mole-brained fundies -- those are an embarrassment to the intelligent faithful.

Top 10 Reasons to be an Episcopalian

And while we're at it...

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 09-02-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote