Old 05-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #301
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wow. That was something else.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #302
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I bet kidney donations go down after that.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #303
Griff
still says videotape

It can't help.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:21 AM   #304
Griff
still says videotape

So now masks are political/religious. Apparently Jesus is the only protection we need.

I was hoping folks would be sensible about the opening but now it's looking wide open.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #305
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
So now masks are political/religious. Apparently Jesus is the only protection we need.

I was hoping folks would be sensible about the opening but now it's looking wide open.
During the Spanish Flu epidemic, people were attacked for wearing masks, for the exact same reasons.

It will happen now, too.

Also, yes, there's this public attitude that the worst is behind us. It's not accurate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Last edited by Luce; 06-10-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added link
Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #306
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
snip--
Also, yes, there's this public attitude that the worst is behind us. It's not accurate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Hey!
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 PM   #307
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Most of the numbers are hocus pocus when dealing with Schrodinger's virus.
Without testing nobody knows if they have it, or had it, so they don't know if they now have immunity.
I've also read a couple of Doctors say they aren't sure having it gives immunity, plus they don't know if getting sick is any more beneficial than being an asymptomatic carrier.
Seems to me if you've had it and are immune, you could still be a carrier. So do unto others before they do you.
I think the masks are more to prevent you from spreading it than protecting you from catching it until you get up into the very expensive models.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #308
Griff
still says videotape

Our company guidelines are to wear our masks and have any adults in the home wear them as well. I had a new client refuse this week cuz Jesus, that made me realize along with the PA red v blue mask fight that we are so divided we can't even agree to try to help one another.

I also saw an anti-mask poster get banned from a Facebook group dedicated to safely opening small local businesses. He may have been a fake account,..
Old 06-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #309
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

One wears a mask to protect the Constitutional rights of others.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #310
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From The Economist of 20 Jun 2020:
[quote}On March 12th .... Boris Johnson ... turned serious: families are going to lose loved ones before the time." But the restrictions he announced were light: those with symptoms were told to stay at home for a week; those older than 70 instructed to avoid cruise ships. Meanwhile, continental Europe was already beginning lock down. ...

... the government should have questioned the experts more closely. But it "was getting advice that it wanted to hear"[/quote]

Somehow that was a response to pandemic that was already all over the world? He acted serious. And mocked it with no actions. Somehow he only heard what he wanted to hear? When it that called responsible? It does sound like a 30 second attention span.

Someone with a business school attitude sees current 'spread sheet' numbers. They says everything will be OK. Numbers that matter were the infections today that would affect numbers weeks from now. But this is Boris Johnson who, like Trump, only sees the numbers he wanted to see.

Death rates were shooting up exponentially in Italy in early February. Exponentially in Spain in mid-February. Exponentially in France at the end of February. No problem. By ignoring what the professionals needed, Britain could only trace five Covid-19 infections a week in mid-February. And only had a few hundred tracers in March as things exponentially got bad. Therefore Boris Johnson again had the fact he wanted. Numbers said it was not really serious.

Johnson finally admitted that school must close in 23 March after he had contracted the disease. And still he refused to require people to wear masks until Mayor Sadiq Khan of London finally made a big stink about inaction on 14 April. People on British mass transient were not required to wear masks until 4 June. Johnson still does not require masks in shops. That is a responsible leader?

British government finally start expediting testing on 14 April by letting other professionals do testing. Testing suddenly increased from 1 in 5000 people to 1 in 1000 on 1 May. But again, too little too late.

Boris Johnson wanted to protect his economy - citizens be damned. Numbers are now in. Britain's GDP has suffered the worst downturn for all European countries. Which makes sense when one was listening to professionals. Britain has a worst decline at almost 12% followed by less downturns in France, Italy, and Spain. Germany, that took actions based in science, has only suffered a 7% downturn. Other nations that made decisions from facts also suffered much less economic harm include Portugal and Norway, Countries that suffered the most Covid-19 deaths, due to inaction, are now suffering the greatest economic downturns.

Grumbling is all across the Tory party. This Boris Johnson government has gone from incompetent decision to denial. Boris Johnson is now considered equal to Theresa May's competence. Boris Johnson's handling of Covid-19 had an approval rating of 70% in early March when things were clearly starting to get bad. Finally the people have realized reality. Approval has dropped to about 35%. Making his approval rating for this crisis the worst of any European nation.

It should continue to drop now that Johnson keeps promoting his "It is over" denials. They were not wearing masks until June? They still do not require masks in shops?

Amazing how people get their power by only insulting others; not be doing what is competent.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #311
Griff
still says videotape

Pennsyltucky putting up idiot numbers. Put on your fucking masks. I can see a situation where I won't be allowed to go to work in NYS because my neighbors are fucking assholes.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-su...QoKimpNfzTqXEQ

Last edited by Griff; 06-25-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: No offence intended Kentucky you're currently doing a better job than us.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #312
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I heard that Trump "is all for masks". He loves them, it "makes him look like The Lone Ranger."

That's just fucking perfect, cover your brow and your cheekbones, leave your eyes, mouth and nose exposed.

Here is the PPE he really needs.

First though...

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

Old 07-02-2020, 05:52 AM   #313
Griff
still says videotape

I took my health survey for work today the list of states I can't have traveled to is getting longer...
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #314
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

We have a winner in the Presidential race (to see which coronavirus-denying head of state contracts COVID-19 first).

Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus

Quote:
The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has announced live on television he has tested positive for coronavirus.

“It came back positive,” a mask-wearing Bolsonaro told a hand-picked group of reporters on Tuesday lunchtime outside his official residence.

“There’s no reason for fear. That’s life,” the president added. “Life goes on. I thank God for my life and the role I’ve been given to decide the future of this great nation that is called Brazil.”

Bolsonaro, 65, has repeatedly trivialized the pandemic and flouted social distancing, even as Brazil became the second-worst-hit country after the United States, with more than 65,000 deaths and 1.6m confirmed cases.

In March, as Covid-19 claimed its first victims in Brazil, the far-right populist used an address to the nation to brag that, if infected, he would quickly shake off the illness thanks to his “athlete’s background”.

Since then, Bolsonaro has continued to attend social events and political rallies, often wearing masks incorrectly, or not wearing them at all.
The virus is not "sneaky" or "evil" or sensate in any way. It's more like a relentless machine or a fire that continues to move in all directions at once, reproducing and consuming *people* when migrating onward. Bolsonaro is just the newest log on the fire.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #315
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Whoops.

I forgot about Boris Johnson.

Sorry.