The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's now official.

A dingo ate the baby.

Now shut the fuck up. I don't want to hear another word from you Chamberlains or I'll feed you all to the fucking dingos.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #17
sandypossum
tri-continental dag hag

Ali, I was in my early 20s when it happened, and yes, it did consume a lot of media time (but it was clearly feeding a public frenzy for the issue) and yes, there has been a lot of taxpayers' money spent on it already. All the same, if I'd been through what they (especially Lindy) went through, I'd be baying for more than just an inquest. For you non-Antipodeans: she spent years in prison (in godforsaken Darwin, to add to the misery, making family visits near impossible, not to mention the heat), gave birth to another daughter just after she went to prison and didn't get to be with her for another 4 years. I'm not convinced of any version of what happened (at the time I suspected one of their young sons may have done it by accident and she covered up and then stuck to it as it was too late to say "actually, he did it") but the forensic evidence has since been shown to be pretty dodgy, and the number of dingo attacks have been rising since then, with the increase in tourism, supporting her version. Assuming she *didn't* do it, how would you feel? Taxpayers' money is wasted on far worse things. E.g. the desal plant, near where we live, cost billions, in part from public money, and it was clearly a mistake from the start. Or political advertising. Or state funerals for just about anyone these days. As far as I know, the Chamberlains have never been compensated for the whole stuff up, so I reckon they deserve at least another inquest. If it results in an open finding again, then how it goes from there will be tricky.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #18
sandypossum
tri-continental dag hag

Ooh, wrote that in the arvo, left it there, and just posted it now, then saw the decision has been made. Well, there you go!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #19
regular.joe
Старый сержант

My best friends baby was eaten by a dingo on 9/11...JERKS.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

When I read the thread title under new posts, with joe's name under it, I read it as Did a regular Dingo eat the baby?

I was like...as opposed to Super Dingo?

Pay me no mind, I'm amusing myself. No, not abusing myself. Amusing.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #21
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The US has a similar sort of media-frenzy case that is still
knocking about in the news after about 16 years.

JonBenet Ramsey's brother was "exonerated" back then, and no one else agrees with me.
But with all the business about a note that was supposedly in the mother's handwriting,
the brother seemed to me to be a very likely candidate.
The mother has since died.

CBS News
September 29, 2010 10:04 AM

Break Emerging in JonBenet Ramsey Case?

Quote:
CBS) An expert on the JonBenet murder case says his sources confirm reports
that investigators in Boulder, Colo. would like to speak again to her older brother, Burke Ramsey,
in case he saw something at the time that could help them connect some newly-surfaced dots now.

Burke was nine when his little sister, a 6-year-old beauty pageant contestant,
was slain in December 1996, in what went on to become one of the
most famous unsolved killings in recent times. He's now 23.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Aliantha

sandy, they were financial compensation for Lindy being wrongfully imprisoned. I don't know the figure, but I know it happened.

I personally believe this new finding is little more than a STFU from the courts to be honest because they just aren't going to stop, and there's no new evidence and what they had in the first place was dodgy anyway, so how can it possibly be a different finding? It's been mishandled all the way along, they were compensated. Now they've got what they wanted.

THE END! FFS IMO.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #23
monster
I hear them call the tide

But what I want to know is, did the Dingo use a recipe posted in IOTD? And if so, should it hit the tip jar?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Aliantha

What I want to know is how the fucking dingo ate the baby but spat out the little wonder suit it was wearing all in one piece!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
monster
I hear them call the tide

Everyone knows you peel 'em first.....
Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
Aliantha

Oh right. Silly me. Of course.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I disagree with Ali.

It is almost certain it was a dingo.

Lindy Chamberlain was stitched up by very dodgy cops. She has been compensated but not truly vindicated. We owe her that.

Dingos ARE dangerous to humans and this should be widely known.

A baby died and the correct cause of death should be established.

And it gave me one more chance to recycle the azalea joke.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
What I want to know is how the fucking dingo ate the baby but spat out the little wonder suit it was wearing all in one piece!
If you really want to know, scroll down. Otherwise skip this.

Mostly when a carnivore or whatever eats its prey they start at the softest part and work their way in. Usually, in the case of unclothed prey, they start at the throat or asshole and just start burrowing in. Perhaps this dingo did the same? I'm sure even soaked with blood a dingo knows there ain't much nutrition in footy pajamas.

Hard to say w/o seeing the recovered baby clothes. If they were pressed and on a hanger in a dry cleaner's bag and had a few spots of blood on it, then yeah, I'd say you should definitely find a new dry cleaner.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #29
Aliantha

It was an all in one baby suit. You know the sort that clips up to the neck and all the way down to the toes just about?

It was found just about all in one piece. That's the bit I don't understand about a dingo doing the job.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #30
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I disagree with Ali.

It is almost certain it was a dingo.

Lindy Chamberlain was stitched up by very dodgy cops. She has been compensated but not truly vindicated. We owe her that.

Dingos ARE dangerous to humans and this should be widely known.

A baby died and the correct cause of death should be established.

And it gave me one more chance to recycle the azalea joke.
Zen, I'm not saying there wasn't a miscarriage of justice or anything like that, and I'm not saying it's not possible that a dingo did it, but the part about the jumpsuit is what gets me, as I've mentioned.

I wouldn't go hanging around with dingos. They're wild animals with sharp teeth, and I'm sure they're hungry at times.

I'm sure the cops at Ayers Rock had no idea what to do with this case. It's not too often they'd have had to deal with a murder. They probably knew just about everyone in their beat by name and address anyway, and the tourists would have generally have been no trouble, so yeah, I'm sure they had no clue how to handle the intense media coverage or how to conduct a proper investigation of the evidence or witnesses either.

What I am saying is, why must it go on and on. I don't believe they had new evidence to present other than the fact that there have been more dingo attacks in the years since 1980, simply because there are more people with no understanding of wild animals spending time in areas where wild animals live and getting into trouble.

I just think that's the problem really. People go into an environment which is dangerous and then wonder why someone gets hurt.

And that's just assuming that it really was a dingo and not one of the other equally unprovable theories still available.