The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

2/17/2005: Live deer and dead deer lock horns

Wuh-oh. xoxoxoBruce sends along a crazy series here: a live deer and a dead deer with locked horns in Oregon. They shot the horn off the dead deer with a pistol to free the live one.The live one continued to fight with the dead one and charged the truck! This happened over the 2004 Thanksgiving weekend.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Um...yuck?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
magilla
Belt Conveyor

There's something really off about that. A deer is not going to start doing the dominance thing with a dead deer. On top of that, it is really really rare for antlers to get locked up so badly the deer cannot disengage. I have a feeling this pair was seen by hunters who plugged one of them. As the animal fell, or twisted, or jumped, the antlers became locked.

By the way, I am not saying the hunters did anything wrong, if that's indeed what happened. I myself used to hunt, and I probably would have taken one too

Hmmm. A couple observations. I went to Oregon State, and the soil in parts of the Coast Range there is almost unique- it's an odd type of clay, and the soil in the photos has that look to it. But it's awfully dry for Thanksgiving. And something that contradicts my hunter theory- the guy in the photo does not look like he's dressed for deer season. Just tack it up on the "Life's Little Mysteries" bulletin board, I guess.
magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
xant
Belt Conveyor

Hunter theory

I kind of buy the hunter theory. Just because the guy wasn't dressed for hunting season doesn't mean there wasn't someone out there with a gun.. hunting outside of hunting season. Perhaps the blue shirt guy was already nearby and the hunter freaked out when they realized they might get caught.

Furthermore, deer get the urge to lock horns during mating season most commonly. I would expect hunting season to be timed not to coincide with mating season, which leads me to believe in the "freak out" theory.
xant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

What a live deer does with a dead one is odd, but it has nothing on a live versus dead mallard.

To truly appreciate this, you have to read the full study in PDF form.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

That dead deer has been dead for at least a day, I'd guess. notice all the hair sloughing off in the road.

The live one is looking kinda fluffy himself, and doesn't have the patches of hair worn off, indicating a late fall timeframe - pre-rut, but just starting to feel feisty. Also, notice the dead underbrush, but the kind of tacky mud texture of the dirt. Like it was a dry season, but had rained in the last week or so. What was the weather like in Oregon this year?

Oregon's hunting season starts as early as August 10 for archery, with concurrent rifle hunting going on in certain areas. It runs off and on through December, so there's plenty of legal hunting time this could've happened in.

There's also the option that the deer broke its neck during the fight. Mule deer have something like a 10% serious injury/death rate in males solely from fighting.

Last edited by mrnoodle; 02-17-2005 at 01:42 PM. Reason: to note that the duck thing is nasty :P
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Deer get hornlocked in combat. The one could have died in the course of being locked up with the other.

I knew a guy who found interlocked, dead deer skulls while hunting one year. I even heard tell once of a deer who was seen wandering around with another deer's rack entangled in his own, sans his opposite deer.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
What a live deer does with a dead one is odd, but it has nothing on a live versus dead mallard.
Oh man. Ducks are nasty little fuckers.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

wow. i was thinking today was friday. my first thought was that THIS IS NOT A HAPPY ANIMAL PICTURE! for just a second i thought Tony had gone off the deep end. then i realized i was on the wrong day again.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
polar
Fellow-Commoner

That's not actually a dead moose. It's the Berkowitzs
polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've seen dozens of sets of locked antlers (sans animals) in stores, museums and tourist-ty places. It's the sort of thing that when you run across one in the woods, you just can't Leave it there.
Warm dry weather in the northwest this year. The ski resorts have shut down. Even southern Alaska has been up near freezing much of this year.

Polar, that went right over my head???
Old 02-18-2005, 04:54 AM   #12
polar
Fellow-Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Polar, that went right over my head???
Woody Allen's Dead Moose sketch. It's on Snopes here if you scroll down
polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Being a comedy fan, a stand-up fan, a vintage comedy fan, a vintage stand-up fan, who owns the Woody Allen double album (on vinyl!) stand-up routine which contains that bit and who has played it on the radio, I did not remember the reference and thereby pronounce it Extremely Obscure™.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:10 AM   #14
chrisinhouston
Professor

Somehow I think I'd have more then a shovel if I was that close!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar
Woody Allen's Dead Moose sketch. It's on Snopes here if you scroll down
Oh, thoooose Berkowitzs.
Thanks polar, that's a great routine.