The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Looks like a nice set. Lucky lil' guy there.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I think its about time for a protest. (too obscure of a reference?)
Attached Images

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
I think its about time for a protest. (too obscure of a reference?)
I'm embarrassed to admit that I know where that reference is from--my ex was a huge Married With Children fan, and he thought that show was completely hysterical. One of his many annoying habits.

But anyway, I have mixed feelings about the public breastfeeding thing. Sure it'd be great if women could do that and nobody gave it a second thought. But we live in the good ol' USA, the same country that freaked out about seeing Janet Jackson's boob exposed for a nanosecond. People are way too uptight about that stuff here, and it only seems to be getting worse.

Personally, I saw a woman breastfeeding at a restaurant recently, and to be perfectly honest it made me a little nauseous. More power to her for taking care of her baby's needs and having the balls (so to speak) to do it in public, but I'm just not so sure I want to see it all over the place.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I think it is possible to breastfeed in public and be so discreet that no one really notices. Obviously, discretion is not something this woman was going for.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I think it is possible to breastfeed in public and be so discreet that no one really notices.

Well, there is certainly a way to do it that make cause no one to care: feed the kid some formula from a bottle. Whatever happened to that method?

I think women should have the right to breastfeed in public, but I think its rude to do so. Just like other natural acts we humans have to do (breastfeeding, changing diapers, talking on the cellphone, having sex) I feel it should be handled in the bathroom instead of a public environment.

Interesting thought: is breast milk considered a potential biological contaminant? It is a fluid secretion from the body....
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Interesting thought: is breast milk considered a potential biological contaminant? It is a fluid secretion from the body....
So's sweat.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:01 AM   #7
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
So's sweat.
Breast milk is sweat -- of a sort. Breasts are a variety of sweat gland.

*trivia man strikes again*
Old 02-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:

Well, there is certainly a way to do it that make cause no one to care: feed the kid some formula from a bottle. Whatever happened to that method?
Formula is a substitute for breastmilk, not the other way around, and there are risks involved with using it. Suggesting women should buy and use a product (that has risks involved with using it) because you have a boob hang-up is ridiculous. Just don't look. Shield your eyes, run screaming from the room... whatever you gotta do it's probably safe and free.

World Health Organization recommends

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="440"> <tbody><tr><td class="header10" valign="top" width="100%">Exclusive Breastfeeding </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="10" valign="top" width="100%">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="text" valign="top" width="100%"> Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. A recent review of evidence has shown that, on a population basis, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months is the optimal way of feeding infants. Thereafter infants should receive complementary foods with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond.

To enable mothers to establish and sustain exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, WHO and UNICEF recommend:

• Initiation of breastfeeding within the first hour of life
  • Exclusive breastfeeding – that is the infant only receives breastmilk without any additional food or drink, not even water
  • Breastfeeding on demand – that is as often as the child wants, day and night
  • No use of bottles, teats or pacifiers
Breastmilk is the natural first food for babies, it provides all the energy and nutrients that the infant needs for the first months of life, and it continues to provide up to half or more of a child’s nutritional needs during the second half of the first year, and up to one-third during the second year of life.

Breastmilk promotes sensory and cognitive development, and protects the infant against infectious and chronic diseases. Exclusive breastfeeding reduces infant mortality due to common childhood illnesses such as diarrhoea or pneumonia, and helps for a quicker recovery during illness. These effects can be measured in resource-poor and affluent societies (Kramer M et al Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial (PROBIT): A randomized trial in the Republic of Belarus. Journal of the American Medical Association, 2001, 285 (4): 413-420)

Breastfeeding contributes to the health and well-being of mothers, it helps to space children, reduces the risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer, increases family and national resources, is a secure way of feeding and is safe for the environment.

</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Old 02-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Just like other natural acts we humans have to do (breastfeeding, changing diapers, talking on the cellphone, having sex) I feel it should be handled in the bathroom instead of a public environment.
You know, I was just thinking that I didn't get enough sex in the bathroom...
Old 02-16-2005, 03:57 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's a large group that supports women breast feeding in public. It's called
men.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:28 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

I was gonna rant on this but jinx took care of pretty much all the arguments. I think this impulse to hide the real function of breasts is probably some remnant of the a middle-class 50's hide your woman in the house, better living through chemistry, culture. Thats over now, move on. Breast milk is more available, cheaper, easier to digest, and designed by (evolution) (God) whatever to provide everything your baby needs (and it takes the baby weight off!). Of course these are just the thoughts of someone who was raised in a conservative Catholic household and was breastfed in church every Sunday as a baby. I'm still waiting for someone to photo shop W into that picture.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
hampor
Colloquialist

bottle is not as good.

Quote:
feed the kid some formula from a bottle. Whatever happened to that method?
The problem there is that babies can suffer what is called nipple confusion. The action is different, and some babies ignore the breast later on. On top of that, the mother can get pretty uncomfortable if you skip a feeding.

One thing that the books never mention is cracked nipples. Imagine the worst cracked chapped lip that you've ever had. Then imagine if it were on your nipple and someone chewed on it every two hours. Yeow!!!
hampor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Basics...Why do women’s breasts protrude more than men’s (generally) do?
Hello....it’s to attract men’s attention. Mature men’s attention.
Absolutely flat chested women can feed their children. The rest is for us. So don’t be ragging on us for doing what comes naturally. You wave ‘em and we’ll salute.

I was allergic to my mother’s milk. Damn near killed me before they figured it out.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #14
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
You fondle the breast to stimulate your partner. You don't "fuck" the breast, so what's the big deal?
never heard of "russian" i'm guessing?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:03 PM   #15
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

RE vented shirts - that's what my wife used. It was funny, the other week I was having a conversation with someone, and didn't even realize she was breast feeding her baby until the kid stopped. It can be VERY descrete. I thought the kid was just snuggled up.

Anyway - totally natural, and doesn't bother me - I end up looking at the kid more than the teat
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote