The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
glatt

External hard drive opinions?

I'm running out of space on my current hard drives.

I was just looking at Amazon's selection and am drawn to either a Western Digital or a Seagte 4TB USB external drive. Is one generally known to be more reliable than another? Is there a brand I should be thinking of instead? Currently, I manually drag folders into the external drives using windows explorer. Don't bother with backup software. Between my phone's pictures, my camera's pictures, and my GoPro's video and pictures, all this digital media adds up fast. We've also got a couple laptops floating around, in addition to the desktop setup, and I should also be bugging family members to back up their shit too. I think a portable USB drive that I can connect to one device after another is a good way to tame the hydra that is spewing out all this digital content.

I used to archive by burning stuff to CDs and then later DVDs, but that is way too time consuming. And who knows how long that media will last without degrading.

Got off on a tangent there. Seagate or WD, or something else?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote