The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #17
Nightsong
Wang Dude

Here in Sc we have a gentleman who has a bill he has been pushing to make law for some time. I am behind him. You see his brother worked at the power plant. One of his coworkers had been out sick. (under observation). he walked into the locker room that day. and started changing for work. When the gentlemens brother asked him how he was. he reponded fine. When the brother turned to change the other man shot him in the head.

The man is in the state hospital and they try to release him every year. His own mother wants him to stay locked up because she says shw knows he is still dangerous. Yet the state says that since the docs say he's sane enough and he is over 18 they should release him. Ofcourse the state also won't prococute the murder since he wasn't in his right mind.

The bill would create a new law. One that says you can only plead GUILTY by reason of insanity. The mandatory sentence would include a hospital stay and once "sane" a term of jail keeping with the crime. Mind you this is only for viiolent offenders.

SPeaking of which. I am of the opinion that none violent crime is best handled with fines and community service. Or better yet work out servittude to the county state what have you based on crimes. Get some real work outta these bozos. I personally believe crimes against ones self, drinking, drugs and such should not be crimes at all. not UNLESS you cause pain or
loss to someone else. If all you hurt is you, that is your own problem.

As for the case at hand. Mental illness can be horrible. I often feel sorry for these people. Hell I use to hear voices. I got a little help and learned to deal with it. Now days they only call on holidays but seriously, this woman KILLED. Not a sudden moment of rage or an accident in traffic. She thought it out. SHe may well be sick. She may well think the cat is from Venus. Had she just kidnapped a new born, I would say lock her up and treat her. But she took the life of another. SHe meant to do it too. SIck or not, cull the herd. We put a dog down when it breaks the social contract and kills a person. Often even another dog. THe dog quite probably does not see what he has done as wrong. We still kill him to protect us. Should humans be any different. Frankly most days I would rather have the dog treated and get rid of the people. That last line was pure spite but it suits.

It is NOT payback. It is NOT vengence. Hell, it aint even justice. It is simply the END.
Nightsong is offline   Reply With Quote