The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #31
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Is that like Trichloroethane? 'Cause I used to practically bathe in that shit.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #32
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I wonder how places like Starbucks will deal with a ban like this. The ban mentioned 'sugar sweetened' drinks, not specifically 'soda'. Sodas certainly fall under that heading but so does a lot of what places like Starbucks serves, what with the sweet flavorings. Their venti (20 oz) white chocolate hot chocolate has about 100 calories more than an average bottle of 20 oz soda. And even if it is made with more than 51% milk/milk substitute, which would get it an exemption from the ban, it's still 100 calories more than a 20 oz soda.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Beverages are contributing an increased proportion of energy to the diet. Because they elicit a weak compensatory dietary response, they may increase risk of positive energy balance.
more
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #34
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Attached Images

Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Follows Obama's use of Drones to kill US citizens as a part of his "kill" list.... Hide your Big Gulp's!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #36
Urbane Guerrilla

Crossposted from someplace else:

How's this for perfectly legal NYC civil disobedience to the Bloomberg sixteen-ounce mandate?

You BYOB, a two-liter of soda pop, to your favorite fast food joint, and order your sixteen-ounce drink. Then you refill as many times as you like, getting ice from the machine as needed, while otherwise staying seated. Get a lot of friends to do this too, filling the tables and chowing on burgers, their bottles on their tables, and invite the media to get a load of it all -- this liter-in. A bit of prearranging with the restaurant management, including the chain's corporate office, should smooth the way. Somebody in the fast-food world has to be annoyed enough at Bloomberg's NYC City Council to take a step like this.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #37
Ibby
erika

As far as I can possibly tell... he only wants RESTAURANTS to stop selling large drinks. it would not be at all illegal to DRINK them, only for them to HAVE cups that size. durr.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #38
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Crossposted from someplace else:

How's this for perfectly legal NYC civil disobedience to the Bloomberg sixteen-ounce mandate?

You BYOB, a two-liter of soda pop, to your favorite fast food joint, and order your sixteen-ounce drink. Then you refill as many times as you like, getting ice from the machine as needed, while otherwise staying seated. Get a lot of friends to do this too, filling the tables and chowing on burgers, their bottles on their tables, and invite the media to get a load of it all -- this liter-in. A bit of prearranging with the restaurant management, including the chain's corporate office, should smooth the way. Somebody in the fast-food world has to be annoyed enough at Bloomberg's NYC City Council to take a step like this.
Yeah, cute. But how does that possibly help anyone?
It's like deciding to wear multiple nicotine replacement patches because you can't smoke at work any more. Yeah! Stick it to the man!!

No one needs that amount of sugary drink.
This is about curbing excess in an overfed, overspending, wasteful society.
And I do not just mean America.

When does freedom tip over into irresponsibility?
Not when you are putting your own health at risk I guess.
And yes, I am obese. Better me to say it than be called out on it.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #39
infinite monkey

Why can't I have that amount of diet drink?

Where are we drawing this line?

And back in the 60s there were peaceful protests like sit-ins.

Raises awareness.

A liter-in would be fun.

And what's REALLY funny is enforcing it. Let's spend taxpayer dollars making sure private restaurants aren't buying, using, or offering the DREADED BIG CUP. Raids, swat teams, undercover officers. They ain't playin' around!

I prefer to make my own choices in such matters. Yeah, freedom.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Early indications from research suggest that four 12 oz cans of diet soda per day reduces memory. Causes what is similar to a precursor of Alzheimer’s. And typically takes 3 or 4 months to undo the resulting diminished memory.

How to get fat? Drink regular or diet soda. Difference is little. Diet soda only reduces body weight when the reasoning comes from advertising. However diet soda is clearly not as destructive as regular soda.

We are not discussing companies interested in you or your health. They are interested in your money. How much does that sound like the tobacco industry?

What was the new Coke? A shift to corn syrup. Or did they forget to mention what new Coke was really about. Why? Honesty would harm sales?

What is the Appalachian Smile?

How can anyone make an informed decision when spin keeps them misinformed?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Where are we drawing this line?
I prefer to make my own choices in such matters. Yeah, freedom.
Yebbut you live in a country which decides when and where you can smoke. Because smoking is harmful.
And you live in a country which decides you cannot buy, carry or smoke marijuana. Because that is also harmful. Apparently.

Why can't you make your own choice in those areas?
You are responsible enough.
Turns out when the Dutch were offered that decision on dope.
They really were responsible enough. But they still banned tobacco in Coffeeshops. And are now banning tourists.

Your Govt (AND MINE - I am not targeting America) think we are not responsible in that area. In all honesty, many people are not. And that's the point. In this country it is illegal to sell alcohol to someone obviously inebriated. Of course it happens all the time, but if it is brought up as a mitigating factor in a Court Case the Landlord may lose his licence.

The idea that freedom is the freedom to do what you want is never carried across the board. Not even if it's the freedom to do want you want as long as you don't harm others. People will always abuse that freedom. And some people need (need don't want) some sort of control on what they can do, maybe when, maybe where, maybe how much. I see this is a fact of the human condition, not as repression.

I do think we will have to disagree on this.
I leave room for a rebuttal but I feel we see it differently.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #42
infinite monkey

You're the only person I know who lives in Notamerica. You protest too much every time you say it isn't about being a merkin.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #43
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
However diet soda is clearly not as destructive as regular soda.
Not true.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not much of a rebuttal, classic.

From yesterday's Cape Cod Times.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #45
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
You're the only person I know who lives in Notamerica. You protest too much every time you say it isn't about being a merkin.
I know there are posters in here who respond aggressively if they perceive an attack on their country. There have been posts on here in the past that suggest America polices the world, supports the world, protects the world and just gets abuse in return.

Maybe I do mention it too much, but it's from an honest POV.
I'm trying not to offend people and also not have the discussion descend into a mistaken assumption that I am simply having a pop at one specific country.

I do not support my current Government coalition. I do not agree with my country's financial or foreign policy. I am certainly not impressed with our current tax laws. So I assume many Americans feel the same about things at home and am probably just over-careful.

I'll drop that line in future

And I promise to only visit the states that still sell soft drinks over 16oz when my boat comes in. 16oz is the equivalent of a British pint btw, so I won't buy them. That will be my civil protest.

Tags
abandon hope, get yo dick out my cola!, holier than sow, jackassery, mind your own business, nosey parker, schmuck