The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #211
Griff
still says videotape

It has been a good reminder about how prickly politicized college kids get once they know everyone elses mind. We all wish Ibram well but we can't change her beliefs about us.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #212
Nirvana
Back in 10

I would rather laugh with Sheldon than argue with Ibs.

Now more photos please
Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #213
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Beautiful Nirvana.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #214
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

@ibs

My understanding is that you're a middle of the road kind of guy. Which, in my limited experience, doesn't call for a shift in pronouns.

So, if you're going to object to Sheldon as binarist, why did you also object to Lola's use of the 'he' pronoun? Isn't that binarist too?

Your life and lifestyle are plenty complicated. There's no need to get snippy if we don't have it all down yet.

And the classy response to an unwanted advance is to either ignore it or to say "thanks, but no thanks." This is true no matter where you fit on the gender bar.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #215
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
And the classy response to an unwanted advance is to either ignore it or to say "thanks, but no thanks." This is true no matter where you fit on the gender bar.
My response of "Buy me a drink and I'll think about it" puts me definitely outside the boundaries of classy.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #216
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Tart ;p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #217
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That's how you pulled me
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #218
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

bow chikka bow wow
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #219
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
And I think that defining things that way, especially to my face, would, coming from a stranger, strike me as offensive. Because it's Shel, and I like Shel and fundamentally believe the best about him, I know that's not what he's trying to say. I'm just trying to point out how comments like that can be hurtful, regardless of intent. I'm not sore or trying to be contrarian, I'm just saying that even if Shel is only interested in people with dicks, using that sort of language and talking about identity, gender, sex, and sexuality in those terms is fraught with peril and it is quite easy to be accidentally hurtful or to, without any malice, without even being aware of it, say things that can feel exclusionary, binarist, and sex-essentialist to those on the non-cisgendered side of things.

Not so very long ago, "i don't mind gay people, I just don't want them rubbing it in my face", or any other variant of the "as long as they don't do it around me" argument, would have been a fairly progressive point of view. But now, to most people, it sounds dated and prejudicial - like it assumes that, while straight people keep sex private, gay people are likely to take it too far, or do it in public, or try to coerce uninterested parties into participation. I really hope that one of these days, comparing a sensitivity to gender issues to being high will sound equally dated. And even if you think I'm being ridiculous by standing up for them, I'm going to KEEP being vocal about defending my identity and on trans* issues that I think aren't being adequately represented here. You can put me on the loony fringe if you like, but I at least want to make the "fringe", progressive, queer, activist trans* point of view heard. The same way one oversensitive nigger ain't gonna keep everyone from saying "black", I don't expect one oversensitive tranny to keep you guys from straying into what i consider vaguely offensive, trans*-erasive, sexist commentary. I know the Cellar is going to be a lot more accepting and positive than most communities. But I also know there's a pretty strong anti-political-correctness sentiment around here, and I'm not gonna go off in tears just because a few people think I take my problems with the genderification and the politicization of language that most people take for granted overly seriously.
Lots of "I" language here. Completely legitimate, and wonderful to hear. The last one, made a little bigger, is a bigger, stronger statement. Huzzah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
This is my point - I find the notion that it's unreasonable to expect people to make an effort to properly gender me to be flat out nasty. I fundamentally disagree with your worldview on gender. And because I'm part of the trans* community, that disagreement takes on a little more weight, because when you treat gender that way, it fundamentally erases me and my identity, and leaves the door open for a lot of really bad things. I don't care if you think i'm bitchy or taking it too far - I'm going to make an effort to educate the cellar as to WHY the things we say can be taken as offensive, HOW our language makes it extremely easy to erase the trans* community, etc. It doesn't mean i'm personally bent out of shape about it. It means I think it's a fundamental human and civil rights issue to talk about these things, and to stand up against language I think is damaging.
More "I" language here, until you make what is in my opinion, a serious mistake, flagged in red.

Ibram/Erica, I hope you do not seriously mean what you wrote there. If so, even if you feel that way sometimes, I sincerely hope you don't waste one more breath on such a notion. It is obvious that Sheldon's language, or any other person's language does not erase your identity. I pray that you merely misspoke. Such a situation as you describe, when it occurs in earnest, truly only reveals the speaker's ignorance and blindness, knowing or otherwise.

Please do continue to fight the good fight as you see it. Live right, speak out, and loudly. Persist and persuade. But don't let something like another person's words or attitudes or actions have much room in your consciousness, much less in your reality. A remark like this may make you *feel* as though you may be erased **TO THEM**, but that is not your problem, it is their problem.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #220
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I personally don't give a fuck if you are a male, female, or whatever. I care more about what type of person you are.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #221
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Me too, Sarge!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #222
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Me this afternoon, having lunch with the mater.
With evidence of the Colsore Apolcalypse I went through last week.
Attached Images

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #223
glatt

Walked over to the old Pension Building at lunch. Some of the corners of the place were completely deserted. Maybe I should move in.
Name:  nbm.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  42.3 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #224
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

omg...what IS that building? I love the doors, and the big mirror reminds me of the one in the old hotel here.

I wanted to move into the old hotel, too. Even when the walls were crumbling and dead pigeons were everywhere. I wanted the corner room with the high ceiling and the rounded corner windows.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #225
glatt

It's a building the government didn't have any use for, so they let the National Building Museum use it to house (boring and expensive) exhibits. It's also used for events all the time. They were setting up for one today. You can just wander around the parts that don't have exhibits in them. You have to pay for those. And there's a really cool museum store there.

It's popular with parents of little kids. See the girls doing cartwheels here? It's a heated space where the kids can go to get out of the house.
Name:  nbm2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  97.0 KB
Name:  nbm3.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  77.1 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote