The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
manicotti
A rapscallion engaging in shenanigans

Plastic Cups and glass Mugs

Studies have found that dropping a glass mug onto a hard surface can result in breakage. Flaubertalioni argues that the chance of breakage is considerably less when the glass mug is dropped from no higher than 5 feet onto a spongier surface such as carpet or astroturf.

In fact, it has been postulated that even a wood floor can minimize the breakage rate as compared to breakage on concrete. "A glass dropped on a concrete floor is more likely to break than if it was dropped on a wood floor because the concrete has no bend to it. A wood floor might help absorb some of the impact by bending slightly when the glass hit it."

http://www.answers.com/Q/A_glass_dro...it_is_wood_why

While glass mugs are more pleasant to hold than plastic cups, and may even hinder the melting of ice cubes, many experts recommend plastic cups to those who find breakage to be a contributing factor to more taxing responsibilities like clean-up and disposal.
manicotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
glatt

Answers.com is horrible. Almost as bad as eHow.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
manicotti

I know. That's what happens with random threads citing random sources picked randomly out of randomland.

Drat. I was expecting philosophical waxing and personal glass and plastic-related anecdotes.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
glatt

In college, I found a plastic crystal beer mug somebody left at a dorm party. It was nice. I washed it and was bragging to my friends about my find. It said "unbreakable" right on it. I tossed it against the concrete block wall and it clattered to the tile floor, completely unharmed. I actually said that it was unbreakable.

My friend said "I can break it."

I told him to go ahead and try, confident that it wouldn't break. He stood in my doorway with the mug, and wound up like a pitcher in a baseball game, and threw it with all his might against the concrete block wall. And it broke.

I was both impressed and a little bummed.

Last edited by glatt; 08-29-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was out once with the long term partner of a friend who really kicked off at a barmaid who gave him a plastic glass because we were going to drink outside.
"Do I look like I'm about to glass someone?" he said, all red faced and aggressive.

(actually I don't remember exactly what he said, only that I both wanted to laugh at the irony and also sink into the floor in embarrassment as she wasn't the one who had made the rule)
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I had a beautiful coffee mug that an older lady cow orker had given me as a going-away present one summer before I left for college. I had it for years. I took it into work as my work coffee mug and it wasn't until a library lady told me that I found out it was even more special, being Bybee pottery. http://www.bybeepottery.com/

One day during renovation I went into my office and found my mug shattered and a very apologetic note from some poor guy who accidentally knocked it off my shelf while working in there. I let it go. He felt awful and what would be the point in replacing it?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

It had this boy fishing motif:
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
glatt

All those Bybee collectors should thank you. Theirs are more valuable now that yours is broken.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
manicotti

Where's the outrage? Won't you think of the kilndren?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I had been told by a teacher as a child that it was impossible to break an egg by squeezing with one fist. Ideal curve and distribution of the force and all that. In college I repeated this at some point, and my friend called bullshit.

"Try it then," I said.
"No, because then my hand will be all messy. I don't need convincing, YOU try it."

It's true, I never had, because who gives an egg to a kid to just smash?

So I tried it, and not only did it break, but the shell bits cut my hand. Maybe the teacher meant that it was unlikely for a kid's hand to be able to break the egg, since it did take a fair amount of force. Or maybe she just loved the idea of 25 kids going home and getting yolk all over their hands.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I like drinking out of a pewter tankard or canteen cup. So nice and cool in the summer and the heat in winter warms your hands. I want to start making some drinking horns, but I can't quite get started.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #12
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Minerally white wines (a.k.a. flints) like those from Sancerre are wonderful cool out of a stainless steel canteen cup.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 AM   #13
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Stainless steel is generally preferable to pewter, because although modern pewter formulations contain tin and antimony, the antimony component can be labelled and dealt with.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I want a mug by Bybee now.

This is cute:
Attached Images

Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

This isn't?

Name:  canteen cup.jpg