The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fat chicks get laid more

From Psychology Today.

Quote:
Their statistical analysis shows that there is no significant difference between normal-weight women, on the one hand, and overweight and obese women, on the other, on their sexual orientation, age at first intercourse, frequency of heterosexual intercourse, and the number of lifetime or current male sexual partners. It means that, contrary to what one might expect, overweight and obese women are not having sex later, less frequently or with fewer partners than normal-weight women. There is a significant difference, however, on whether they have ever had sexual intercourse with men. Overweight (92.5%) and obese (91.5%) women are significantly more likely ever to have had sexual intercourse with men than normal-weight women (87.4%)
Now the reason is...

Quote:
When a man propositions a woman, she can respond in one of two ways; she can say “yes” or she can say “no.” When a woman propositions a man, he can also respond in one of two ways; he can say “yes” or he can say “yes, please.” He has no realistic choice to say no. Men may not be saying “yes, please” to overweight and obese women, but Kaneshiro et al.’s study clearly suggests that they are definitely saying “yes.”
I'm unable to find a flaw in the study, or in this man's logic.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't know why they needed to do a study for this.

I could have told them all that and saved them a lot of money.

eta: I think it's a lot harder for fat blokes to get laid though...but maybe that's just me.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think it's not that "fat chicks get laid more" but rather "frigid chicks are skinny little harpies."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
SquidGirl
Colloquialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
eta: I think it's a lot harder for fat blokes to get laid though...but maybe that's just me.
It's a lot more comfortable being on top with a larger guy though...nice and rounded, easier on the hips :p
SquidGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I haven't read the article, but that's never stopped me before.

It seems to have the evidence, that larger women are more likely to have ever had sex, and infer the conclusion, that they are asking for sex and getting it, because no man ever says no. Hey, some of us have standards. Not that I object to larger sizes per se, but the idea that anyone/thing would do is wrong and offensive.

However, I think they have found a correlation that can be explained a different way.
As people get older they often put on weight.
Hence if you line people up according to weight, the low weight end of the line would be a little younger than the higher-weight end of the line.
Likewise, "have ever had sex with a man" is also correlated with age. You've got longer to get lucky.
Hence weight and age are causally connected, and sexual history and age are causally connected, but weight and sexual history are not causally connected, but merely correlated.

And there is a second alternative explanation of the correlation. Women generally gain weight during pregnancy and often stay largeish thereafter. Of course, maternal weight gain selects at nearly 100% for women who have had sex with a man. So there is a second explanation between the correlation between weight and likelihood of having had sex.

Maybe in the study the show that they have allowed for these factors.

But I think Clod may have it right. Skinny women are more likely to have said "no". As a TV show recently pointed out ... "Men are attracted to larger women, because they have larger personalities, and lower standards."
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
Aliantha

I think larger women have more sex because they're not worried about messing up their hair...so not only do they have more, it's better.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
Juniper
I know, right?

Thin women have higher standards, therefore say "no" more often. Generally speaking, they are the Spartans.

Fat women aren't so shallow. They enjoy life and all it has to offer -- food, beverages, and men of all shapes and sizes. They are the hedonists.

Of course, one might argue that it's a matter of quantity vs. quality. Would you rather have sex with one super-hot, handsome, high-performance fella or ten flabby, mediocre, vaguely awkward guys?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #9
Aliantha

What about a bit of each?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Of course, one might argue that it's a matter of quantity vs. quality. Would you rather have sex with one super-hot, handsome, high-performance fella or ten flabby, mediocre, vaguely awkward guys?
I'll take the ten! Men don't tend to get flabby, they get rounded. It's nice. And a larger man is certainly not "mediocre". In fact he's probably more likely to feel he has something to make up for, and be a bit of a star between the sheets. And anyway, what's more awkward in the morning? The chap who jumps out of bed at 06.00 to go jogging and then spends an hour grooming himself while you're still trying to catch up on beauty sleep, or the chubster who laughs at your bed hair and offers you a full English? (that's a cooked breakfast, but I suppose it could be a euphemism)
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
binky
all hollowed out

I'll take the ten as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

put me down for ten. I cannot stand the primping man. Or, one better looking than me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

Can I just pick out the 3 or 4 best ones? 10 is a little much for me...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Juniper
I know, right?

Ditto, I'll compromise and take 3-4 of the ones somewhere in between. Not all at once.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Not all at once.
Oh. Nevermind then.