The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

April 12th, 2019 : Inland Empire

I’ve been to California a few times, and like everyone else been exposed to a lot of CA culture on the Tube and internet.
But I’m still a right coaster so for familiar names I only have vague impressions of where it is and what it’s claim to fame is.
The Inland Empire is one, Southern CA, and agriculture are all it sparks in my memory bank.
Well, more like a Mason Jar than a bank though.

Quote:
California’s overlooked Inland Empire is the subject of an ambitious new exhibition called “In the Sunshine of Neglect: Defining Photographs and Radical Experiments in Inland Southern California, 1950 to the Present.”

Now home to 4.5 million people, the Inland Empire is 27,000 square miles of sun-baked desert extending east-west along Route 10 from Pomona to just beyond Palm Springs, and north-south along Route 15 from Victorville to Temecula.

Quote:
The area is an archetype of post-war suburbanization, and all of its social, economic and environmental implications. McCulloh observes that unlike Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area, the Inland Empire lacks any visual icons beyond the interchangeable tract houses of its endless developments. “The place can feel rootless and provisional, even for people who grow up there,” he says. That culture, combined with the forbidding, disaster-prone landscape of “fault lines, fire zones, and flood plains” makes for what McCulloh calls “an experimental tabula rasa playground for photographers, where nothing was at stake, so everything was possible.”

We Americans live in a democratic society and we’re equal opportunity abusers of the Earth and it’s resources.
Think Mother Nature in handcuffs and a ball gag.

link
Old 04-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Not mentioned above is that the exhibit is at the California Museum of Photography, part of the University of California, Riverside.
The museum is in downtown Riverside, not on campus, and came along well after my years at UCR (1959-1963) and working for the county in 1968.
In those days the surrounding thousands of miles, now ticky-tacky homes by the tens of thousands, was wide open dirt bike and 4 wheel country.
I could leave class at 12 and be in wide open scrub hills in 15 minutes, ride for an hour and be back for my 2 o'clock.
Another short trip was to the flood plain of the Santa Ana River shown above.

There is a link on the museum's page to a PDN Photo of the Day honoring Bruce's "Not Goatse" post above:

https://potd.pdnonline.com/2019/03/55567/

Your are sure to recognize someone you know in those pictures. Number 4 may be Chuck Grassley again.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Numbers 5 and 6 look like you wouldn't want them for enemies, or meet them in a dark alley.