The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

October 14th, 2015: OK Space Capsule

Look Dear, a flock of geese.... Uh huh.
Look Dear, puppies for sale.... That's nice
Look dear, A space capsule.... Mmm.... WHAT?

Quote:
Along a lonely stretch of road between the small villages of Talala and Winganon in the US state of Oklahoma, lies what appears to be an abandoned space capsule. The letterings ‘NASA’ and ‘United States of America’ along with the flag is clearly visible on its side.
But it ain't. Way back in '59 this here young fella done rolled his boss's ready mix-em-up truck over. Well now by the... wasn't no celly phones in every pocket, doncha know... so by the time they got old Fat Bob's tow-em-back truck out here, the ce-ment done got harder than a stood up bride's heart. The rig was too heavy for Fat Bob to tow, so they unhooked the big ol tank and just towed the truck. Lord knows what happened to that young fella when his boss found out, maybe he lit out.. tween you and me I heard 'bout a fresh dirt mound in the desert.

For some reason they never come back fer the dang thing. Sure ain't nobody stealin' it.
Before long the kids they graf-feaded it with big willys and naked ladies and nasty stuff too.

Quote:
In September 2011, local artists Barry and Heather Thomas decided to turn it into a space capsule to celebrate the fifth anniversary of their wedding.
I guess after five years they be tryin' to think of sumthin' to avoid the hokey pokey, like folks would expect. No respect for tradition, them artsy types.

Quote:
The couple attached canning lids, garden hose, broken reflectors and other household items to the mixer to make the transformation look as real as possible. Before the latest incarnation the mixer was painted in a patriotic stars-and-stripes motif.

The Winganon Space Capsule is now a popular attraction. People driving along Winganon Road get down from their cars to pose near it and take pictures.

Heather Thomas hopes the new paint job would discourage kids to paint it over with graffiti. It has definitely survived, till now, although the thrusters at the bottom are gone.
That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.