The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #61
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Because everything about football is blown way out of proportion. A bunch of billionaires hiring millionaires to bleed the taxpayers for more money.
I know you didn't steal that from Ambrose Bierce, but it belongs with the rest of his dictionary.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #62
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

It's a good, solid, word...no doubt micro-agggression sensitve, safe-space seekers would look, may look, to have it banned.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #63
El Veto-Voter
Lead Subordinate

Flag-worship is to the Cult of the Omnipotent State the same as relic worship is to other cults. It is ingrained at an early age, before the mind is capable of critical thinking. After that, most people are unable or unwilling to throw out the mental garbage and get their own opinions.

Bravo to those who have the ability to think for themselves and the courage to act, even in the face of tremendous ridicule from the myrmidon majority.
My reasons are at HaltVote.com.
El Veto-Voter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #64
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Bravo to those who have the ability to think for themselves and the courage to act, even in the face of tremendous ridicule from the myrmidon majority.
... and/or an insane minority ...
Old 11-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #65
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen a smith
After all this noise that you made, even though you didn’t intend to do so, by offending our military service men and women, and pointing out about how you wanted to bring attention to racial injustices and beyond in this country — to turn around and not to even take your behind to the polls to vote for a particular candidate, it is shameful. It is absolutely shameful.
Him of all people, because of the position he took, because of the attention he brought to the issues. The fact that you don’t even have the decency to go to the poll and activate yourself in this election, as our President said, is a damn shame.
video
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #66
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
stephen a smith
fuck that guy no matter what side of any particular opinion he is on
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #67
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Kaepernick is just a pussy whipped little girly man. Leave that poor boy alone already, we don't want to make him cry.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #68
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
After all this noise that you made, even though you didn’t intend to do so, by offending our military service men and women,
That's silliness. It's not the anthem of the military. The services have their own songs. It's the anthem of the whole USA, and he was protesting a domestic nationwide issue.

The view that it doesn't matter which party wins, because they're both bad, is also silliness in my opinion, especially this year. "Both bad" doesn't imply "doesn't matter". But it's a fairly widespread view, and if he does have that view, it's not hypocrisy.

On the other hand, as I said, I do think it's silly, and I agree it's a damn shame. He could have motivated some of the people he inspired to vote, and didn't.

On the gripping hand, that's similar to saying, "if he agreed with me he should have done something else".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #69
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
fuck that guy no matter what side of any particular opinion he is on
True dat
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #70
sexobon

Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Quote:
After all this noise that you made, even though you didn’t intend to do so, by offending our military service men and women,
That's silliness. It's not the anthem of the military. The services have their own songs. It's the anthem of the whole USA, and he was protesting a domestic nationwide issue. ...
Military people don't generally find it offensive; but, it's not silliness either.

When the flag is raised and Reveille is played in the morning on military installations; also, when the flag is lowered and Taps is played in the evening, everyone within sight and sound (who's reasonably able to) stops what they're doing, faces the flag (or the direction the sound is coming from) and either salutes when in uniform; or, places their hand over their heart when not. Even if in vehicles, they pull over to the side of the road (much as you would for a passing emergency vehicle) and step out of the vehicle to salute. They also stand for the National Anthem.

It's tradition that stems from devotion to this country and those who have been a part of it, past and present, making it what it is today. It's somewhat like the Muslim tradition of facing Mecca to pray five times a day out of devotion in that they both address the totality of what is being revered.

Military personnel don't expect civilians to mimic their traditions anymore than Muslims expect infidels to mimic theirs. Neither do they expect them to subvert those traditions; however, to protest some part of the whole. I wouldn't go to a sporting event in this country and not stand for the National Anthem anymore than I would go to a prayer session in a Muslim country and not kneel facing Mecca. Those who would do these things are seen by military personnel as small minded and distasteful ... pitiful rather than offensive.

Most all military personnel have some issue with the country they revere just as most all Muslims have some issue with the religion they revere; but, most all rise above it recognizing there's another time and place to address those. The disappointing exceptions ultimately fall by the wayside.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #71
Happy Monkey

Again, it is silliness to bring up the military in any way in response to his protest. The military has nothing to do with it. Children in schools will stand for the anthem as well, but he's not attacking children.

And all that aside, a football stadium isn't the US military's version of Mecca. The military doesn't own football, any more than they own the anthem.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #72
sexobon

Quote:
Again, it is silliness to bring up the military in any way in response to his protest. The military has nothing to do with it. Children in schools will stand for the anthem as well, but he's not attacking children.

And all that aside, a football stadium isn't the US military's version of Mecca. The military doesn't own football, any more than they own the anthem.
Now you're just spewing nonsense. He's protesting America and Americans. The US military is comprised of Americans serving America. They're every bit as affected as all other Americans. They just bring an added perspective to the table.

You've also made a dishonest transition from military men and women being offended to school children being attacked. Since when are the words offended and attacked synonymous?

Another dishonest transition is contrasting a football stadium to Mecca in the context of the US military as an organization. The discussion has been about the men and women in the military. For football fans, a football stadium CAN be a Mecca and men and women in the military CAN be football fans.

You present as a been nowhere, done nothing kind of person with contempt for the military. I find your argument to be small minded and distasteful ... pitiful.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #73
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Now you're just spewing nonsense. He's protesting America and Americans. The US military is comprised of Americans serving America. They're every bit as affected as all other Americans.
Exactly. That's why it's silly to say that his protest has anything to do with the military.

Your whole point seems to be that there were military people among the people offended by him, and therefore Smith's quote is technically true.

Sure, whatever.

But I didn't say it was a lie, I said it was silly.

Again, Smiths quote was:
Quote:
by offending our military service men and women,
If all he meant was "some of the people offended by the protest happen to be in the military", why even pick them out? Just to try to glom on to people's respect for the military and attach it to his argument.

Does that phrase apply to everything one might do that might offend someone in the military?

I'm sure there are a few members of the military who would be at least a bit offended at being co-opted into this guy's argument.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #74
sexobon

Quote:
Quote:
Now you're just spewing nonsense. He's protesting America and Americans. The US military is comprised of Americans serving America. They're every bit as affected as all other Americans.
Exactly. That's why it's silly to say that his protest has anything to do with the military. ...
Silly are you for leaving the last line off of my paragraph when you quoted it:
Quote:
Now you're just spewing nonsense. He's protesting America and Americans. The US military is comprised of Americans serving America. They're every bit as affected as all other Americans. They just bring an added perspective to the table. ...
"... an added perspective to the table" means that while it affects all Americans it can have an added effect on men and women in the military which I elaborated on in post #70. Reading comprehension.

Quote:
... Your whole point seems to be that there were military people among the people offended by him, and therefore Smith's quote is technically true. ...
I expressly stated the opposite:

Quote:
Military people don't generally find it offensive; but, it's not silliness either.
Integrity in representing what others have said has never been your forte.

Quote:
... But I didn't say it was a lie, I said it was silly. ...
And you were wrong:

Quote:
... Those who would do these things are seen by military personnel as small minded and distasteful ... pitiful rather than offensive.
Quote:
... If all he meant was "some of the people offended by the protest happen to be in the military", why even pick them out? Just to try to glom on to people's respect for the military and attach it to his argument. ...
Exactly. Did you figure that out all by yourself; or, did you have help?

Quote:
Does that phrase apply to everything one might do that might offend someone in the military?
Perhaps to Mr. Smith.

Quote:
... I'm sure there are a few members of the military who would be at least a bit offended at being co-opted into this guy's argument. ...
I wouldn't be surprised; but, they'll take it in stride just as they do your arguments.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #75
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote