Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Am I a wacko extremist cuz I believe ...
Moderate want all that ... with reasons that say how and why. A major difference. Wackos know everything in terms of soundbytes. Moderates first learn facts before making a conclusion.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #17
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

A slavish devotion to 'moderation' when surrounded by the aggressively immoderate is kinda like askin' Bogs Diamond not to sodomize you. That is, you're fucked.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There are no moderates any longer as we have all shifted to one side or t'other:

But voter turnout isn't DOWN:

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #19
El Veto-Voter
Lead Subordinate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
Great!
I don't care, in this thread, who you vote for, even if it is opposed to my own choice I believe ultimately America will be be better for greater participation.
Having watched for many decades, and studying the historical evidence of centuries, I can find no evidence for such beliefs. Just because the power-mongers preach it -- doesn't men it is true.

Greater participation just gives the consent of more people. It does not improve the quality of persons elected, nor the likelihood that they will really represent their "constituents".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
It may get the more popular candidate into office if everyone with that preference actually votes.

Even if you didn't back the winner voting still reduces the winner's victory margin so they don't think they have carte blanche to ignore the concerns of those who didn't vote for them, especially if they can run for reelection.
It would be nice to think so, as I did for decades. However, in real politics it is the special interests and campaign funders whose concerns don't get ignored. The votes of the losers are counted for the winners as people who support the system and consent to whatever it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
It is my observation that a lot of the people voting are those with a single hot button issue that get's them all fired up, and the more hard line you are on their issue the better. Since these are the people who actually vote they get the attention of politicians seeking office, so we get hard line, my way or no way, candidates who when they get into government won't work together and not much get's done.

I believe that people with more moderate views don't find these candidates appealing, so don't bother to vote, downward spiral.
If everyone voted then candidates with a balanced platform would have a broad base to appeal to and extreme candidates would be sidelined.

You would get more politicians who would do the work of governance and less posturing poseurs.

Hopefully
You are correct on many points. However, it is my contention that what government does is mostly bad for most of us, and will mostly always be. So, if the radicalization and election of extreme candidates really did cause them to get less done, it would be a good thing.

However, they mostly just pretend to oppose each other to keep their minions hyped up. When there is something truly odious to do, they cooperate greatly and pass it as bi-partisan, with hardly any fanfare. All the worst stuff gets passed without publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Am I a wacko extremist cuz I believe elected folk should viewed as, treated as, employees instead of nobility?

Am I a wacko extremist cuz I'm dissatisfied with the glorified popularity contests we call elections?

Am I a wacko extremist cuz I wanna hire the best proxies, employees, and public servants instead of electing the least crappy of a crappy bunch of mercenary parasites?

Am I a wacko extremist for wanting the formal option to say 'no' to appear on every ballot, of every election, from the federal down to the municipal?

Am I a wacko extremist for living as though I'm responsible for me?

Am I a wacko extremist for resisting being used by folks who think I should I be responsible for, or to, them?

Am I a wacko extremist for wanting the taxes I pay to be spent responsibly, minimally, and productively?

I could go on and on and on...
Don't worry Henry.

"Wacko Extremist" is a term used by those who are mired in their moderate myrmidon training, and can't find any rational reply to threads of new thinking.
My reasons are at HaltVote.com.
El Veto-Voter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Veto-Voter View Post
... studying the historical evidence of centuries, I can find no evidence for such beliefs. ...
Yeah, sure you did. perhaps with just a wee bit of confirmation bias.

Quote:
... Greater participation just gives the consent of more people. It does not improve the quality of persons elected, nor the likelihood that they will really represent their "constituents". ...
Greater participation is more conditional consent. Non-participation is unconditional consent. You've obviously never corresponded with any of your representatives.

Quote:
... However, in real politics it is the special interests and campaign funders whose concerns don't get ignored. ...
Those of us who are still well grounded in reality know it's both voters and special interests.

Quote:
... The votes of the losers are counted for the winners as people who support the system and consent to whatever it does. ...
The votes of the winners are also counted as people who support the system. Neither winners nor losers consent to whatever it does which is why there are impeachment and recall procedures. You're not playing with a full deck.

Quote:
... However, it is my contention that what government does is mostly bad for most of us, and will mostly always be. ...
So you're simply an anarchist masquerading as a new thinker.

Quote:
... However, they mostly just pretend to oppose each other to keep their minions hyped up. When there is something truly odious to do, they cooperate greatly and pass it as bi-partisan ...
Paranoia, you? Nooooooooooooooooooo, yeah.

Quote:
... threads of new thinking.
They're turning out to be a lot like the emperor's new clothes.

Last edited by sexobon; 09-09-2016 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Sp.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #21
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

If you ain't got the option to say 'no' to every one runnin' then all you got is Hobson's Choice.

You don't have a hiring process, you don't have an election.

But, yeah, I'll vote (for Trump) cuz I like the idea of doin' violence without actually hittin' people; I like that nimrods will screech about my bad choices and blame me for all manner of woes and ills cuz that's all they can do (screech and cry and kvetch); I like my America imperial and adventuristic and Trump promises to pull the Big Stick out of the closet and hit a whole whack of folks (some who even deserve it!) up-side the head; and -- mebbe, possibly -- four years down the road there may be fewer regs to navigate, smaller taxes to pay, more cash in my pocket, and more opportunties to put cash in my pocket.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #22
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
There are no moderates any longer as we have all shifted to one side or t'other:

But voter turnout isn't DOWN:

I wonder what issues are consistently left / right besides guns and abortion?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #23
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Environment, immigration, unions, healthcare?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote