The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Diesel Engine

I let my deuce sit at deer camp for several months without cranking it. I recharged the batteries and the starter turns but it doesn't start. Fuel line seems to be ok. I have a mix of about 75% diesel and 25% kerosene in the tank. The motor is a straight 6 cylinder.

Can anyone help? Is there anything I should do before I try to run a diesel that has been parked for awhile?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Molasar
Part-time superhero (off shift right now, leave a message)

Location: Her Majesty's United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
have you got water ponding in the bottom of the tank?
if it's been standing with a part full tank then the water in the air above the fuel condenses on the cold inside wall of the tank and runs down the side and ponds at the bottom of the tank, just where the fuel pump draws it out of the tank.
no matter how good the mlll it won't run on water.

then again if you've cranked it a few times you'll most likely have cleared it and I'm talking bollocks. again.
just ignore me.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

You are going to have to drain the fuel tanks and fill them with fresh fuel Then you will have to purge all the water out of the injection pump and injectors. Do you have a friend who is a mechanic they will know how to purge the fuel system.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Big Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
You are going to have to drain the fuel tanks and fill them with fresh fuel Then you will have to purge all the water out of the injection pump and injectors. Do you have a friend who is a mechanic they will know how to purge the fuel system.
I wish I had a mechanic friend. looks like I am up shit creek. it is going to cost a small fortune to get a diesel mechanic out to it. It is on the back side of my hunting lease and the road is muddy trail.

Do you think if I drained the fuel and replaced it with new, that I could purge the injection pump and injectors by continuing to trying to start the motor? Is there an additive I could put in the fuel?

I should explain my deuce is a Kaiser with a multi-fuel engine
Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Pamela
Deplorable

I would try a can of Hot Shot (ether) first.

Crank it and then give it one-second bursts into the air intake. Not too much or you will blow out your engine tho. Let the engine draw it in first.

I suspect that your fuel has "gone flat". Also, try a cetane booster in the tank with fresh diesel.

If that doesn't help, let me know. There are other things to try.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

After draining the bad fuel out purge the fuel lines by opening the connections and blowing out the line (Steel or rubber hose) by blowing into it. Change all fuel filters pump fuel to the injection pump. When you have fuel to the inj. pump check to see that there is no water in the pump by removing the inspection plate on the side of the pump. DO NOT REMOVE THE INJECTION PUMP. There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the pump. I don't know what type of feed pump you have if it is electric you can jump it with a wire from the battery, if not you will have to crank the engine. To make it easier on the starter remove the injectors. After you have fuel in the inj. pump crank the engine until you have fuel in the lines. replace the injectors and start her up and get krazy in the bush.
PM me and I will give you my phone number and you can call me with questions.
Or you can use a can of either sparingly, and it should start.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
have you got water ponding in the bottom of the tank?
if it's been standing with a part full tank then the water in the air above the fuel condenses on the cold inside wall of the tank and runs down the side and ponds at the bottom of the tank, just where the fuel pump draws it out of the tank.
no matter how good the mlll it won't run on water.

then again if you've cranked it a few times you'll most likely have cleared it and I'm talking bollocks. again.
just ignore me.
Does it matter how cold its been? Sarges part of the country tends not to get super cold...
Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

cold enough to gell fuel ,
Sarge you need to get some heat to that engine , look close is there a way to press and hold to warm up the glow plugs ?? is there a stray electric cord comeing from the engine ?? if so plug it in for a few hours .
also go to a truck stop look for a fuel addaitve called HEAT .
or you can do what the Rusions do and start a fire under the engine
Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Do you think if I drained the fuel and replaced it with new, that I could purge the injection pump and injectors by continuing to trying to start the motor?
Rather than major surgery (ie drain the tank), locate a point where fuel feeds the engine. Tap this (ie also using a small rubber hose) to collect multiple inches of fuel in a glass jar. Then let that jar sit for many hours. If it exists, a little water separates from fuel; collects at the bottom. Water is seen only if the jar is glass. Then you know of or have eliminated that suspect.

Increasing octane means fuel is harder to ignite. Octane booster would only make the problem worse. Additives that cause water to mix with fuel are available. But this is usually used AFTER an engine starts and can burn off that water.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
Bloke
Almost normal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Start a fire under the engine.
Yeah, them crazy Russians!
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #11
Big Sarge

We are getting up to the 50's some days and then we'll have another cold snap. My next trip down, I'm going to try some of your suggestions. I'll also take photos of the engine so you can see what this 1967 motor looks like. Here's some info on the motor:

The M35A2 is popularly powered by an LDT 465 engine, made by either Continental Motors Company, Hercules, or White Motor Company. It is an in-line, 478-cubic-inch (7.8 L), six-cylinder, turbocharged multifuel engine developing 134 bhp (100 kW) and 330 pound force-feet (447 N·m) of torque. This is coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission and divorced 2-speed transfer case (either a sprag-operated transfer case Rockwell 136-21 or air-operated selectable transfer case Rockwell 136-27). Multifuel engines are designed to operate reliably on a wide variety of fuels, to include diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene, heating oil or gasoline. Gasoline should only be used in an emergency because it does not properly lubricate the injector pump. While using gasoline, common practice calls for the addition of at least 1 U.S. quart of clean motor oil per 15 U.S. gallons of gasoline (1 imp qt/13 imp gal; 1 L/60 L) for proper pump lubrication where available

I really appreciate the ideas. BTW ZippyT, these doesn't have a glow plug indicator. I sure wish they did. I hope to have an update in a week or two
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

478 cubic diesel inches...134hp...330lbft

Man, those sound like awfully small numbers from a 478 cu in diesel, the hp is low, I get that, but I was expecting twice the torque, or more. That's not a lot of torque, you're not beating GrandCherokeeOne by much at all. I hope those ten speeds start low.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Big Sarge

She weighs over 15,000 pounds with that huge winch and hard shell on the bed. She is built to carry a 5,000 lb load. On a highway, I can make it up to 45mph.

What I like about her is she is a brute that makes her own roads. That PTO winch will pull like a team of mules. Remember during Vietnam, they made gun trucks out of these
Old 01-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
Pamela
Deplorable

I want one too. I go by several dealers of these trucks. Big one up in Lamar, CO.

He has a bunch of different kinds. No website tho that I have found.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
Pamela
Deplorable

Well? Did the beast start?