The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
That's one of the reasons I left the city. I like that peple can leave their stuff out around here.

I think I already posted about one time my BIL came to visit and saw a huge pile of carpenters tools on the grass near the curb in front of my neighbor's house. He asked me what was up with the tools. I told him someone borrowed my neighbors truck and took the tools out.

At lunch, they were still there and my BIL was surprised. At dusk they were still there and he couldn't have been more amazed.

The only thing that was stolen from my yard in 12 years was a raccoon trap. WTF?
Have you seen a raccoon? They look like banditos with that little mask. And those little hands? I think we all know who took your trap. Means, motive, and mask. Guilty!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Organized gangs going after farm equipment? Yikes. I read about a farmer who tried to defend himself against a home intrusion and ended up being charged rather than the intruders. That's what happens in Canada as well.

Although the firearm death rates may be lower in Canada, the predicament of not being permitted to defend yourself coupled with the high incidence of violentl crime (and no legal recourse) was what made me feel unsafe in Ontario. No one was looking out for the law-abiding folks; if you became a victim people figured you hadn't been careful enough, or shrugged and said, 'What can you do?'

My father, who is 79, has had his home robbed twice in the past few years (nice suburban area of the nation's capital). The second time he returned home to find the criminals loading a small truck with his belongings. He pulled across the driveway to prevent them leaving and they drove across the lawn, digging up his garden with their tires. When the police came by a few days later to take a report, he told them he'd thought about pulling into the driveway and rear-ending their truck to disable it. The police told him in that case they would've charged him, and not even to think about it if he didn't want to be arrested. Not because it would be unsafe to confront criminals! But because they would consider him a criminal. You're expected to lie down for this kind of thing and do the Canadian shrug.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

For Dana - ah, memories....

http://youtu.be/8eswiifPgi0
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
For Dana - ah, memories....

http://youtu.be/8eswiifPgi0
Oh, bloody hell. Ha! Indeed.

Surrounding Salford Crescent train station (a bizarre little no place station that feels like it is entirely separate from the world around it) are a slew of 1960s tower blocks. They'd been renovated some by the time we were living near, but a few years after they were built to house the residents of streets cleared in the slum clearance project, the conditions were so bad that the residents co-operated in sending a message. Spelt out with a letter per window, running across the blocks was the message: Get Us Out Of This Hell!

The flats we lived in were lovely. nice little places. We had the ground floor. They weren't high rise, but maisonette type flats, with four floors.

But by christ some of the housing we were surrounded by was truly appalling.

Last edited by DanaC; 02-23-2013 at 08:24 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
The only thing that was stolen from my yard in 12 years was a raccoon trap. WTF?
Azaban's litter was due soon, and he thought it make a good nursery addition to the den.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In February so far, 3 of the 7 homicides in Philadelphia happened within 10 blocks of the shop.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
In February so far, 3 of the 7 homicides in Philadelphia happened within 10 blocks of the shop.
Do you wear soft body armor to work and if not, can I take a life insurance policy out on you?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This, combined with the light threats issued regularly by thugs, means I am not long for the shop. I just can't take it. I don't know if I'll be out in 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, but I have to find something else to do.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
DanaC

Wise I think, Tony.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

maybe you can open your own pawn shop and cater to the college kids near your home?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Or better yet, a prawn shop, so the thread title will finally mean what I read it as, every time I see it.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
DanaC

Hahahahah.

Imaginary Like to that post!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Do a barrel roll...

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Selling and supporting computer systems to the college kids?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As you are probably aware, the black community has gone mother fuckin' insane with the naming of their children. Today a new winner: "Orphialasertrell".