The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oct 28, 2009: Sydney Harbour Bridge

Sydney Harbour Bridge, like the Opera House, has been a famous icon recognized around the world, since 1932.

I've not been there, but having driven other famous bridges like the Brooklyn, Golden Gate, or Chesapeake Bay, experience tells me when crossing that bridge, people probably wouldn't have a chance of seeing much, except the cars & trucks around them.
But Sunday that changed. No cars or trucks, just green grass, a few cows, and 6,000 people.

Quote:
The aerial view of the bridge a scene like never before with freshly laid grass, grazing cows and hundreds of families enjoying a picnic breakfast.
The forecast rain was thankfully held off and people turned out to enjoy croissants, sausages, bacon eggs and coffee - with a stunning view across the water to the Opera House.
Many who were not among the lucky ticket-holders drawn from a ballot of 190,000 people to take part in the unique gathering still turned up at each end of the bridge.
They gaze at the spectacle of cows grazing on 10,000 square yards of turfed grass that had been laid over the tarmac.
It was such a historic event that local man Sid Elias used the occasion to propose to his girlfriend. And they have agreed that if the 'Breakfast on the Bridge' became an annual event they'll return each time.
To add to the occasion, musicians strolled among the families - who included one couple who brought their four-week-old baby along - playing accordions and trumpets, while a honky-tonk piano player bashed out happy melodies.
New South Wales government officials estimated the cost of laying on the unique event cost around £400,000 - but agreed it was worth it.
Hmmm, £400,000, and 4.2 million people inconvenienced (it's a long way around). I think more importantly, even though only 190,000 tried to win tickets, actually 4.2 million people were excluded from the festivities. Seems like 6,000 (plus probably 1,000 politically connected) is a pretty small group to benefit from all that work and money. Instead of 6,000 picnicking and chatting with each other, let more people walk across, enjoying the views and taking pictures for a half hour... or something.
Wonder what they did with that 10,000 square yards of turf?
Thanks, BeltNah.

link

link
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Contented cows, a marriage proposal and jumping girls. Who could ask for more?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

There's a tunnel under the harbour that plenty of people could use instead of the bridge, in fact, it's more popular these days.

I think the people of Sydney are used to the bridge being unavailable anyway. One smash and it's history for some time.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, thanks. So it's not so much an inconvenience, just a big expensive party for a few people.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
SPUCK
Professor

Yeah! Talk about lame.. I totally agree Bruce.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
nil_orally
Larger than average member

It's only Sydney. Nuke it from space.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Some politician is quoted as saying "it was worth it." Worth it for what? And it might become an annual event?

Why did they do this other than some drunk Aussie said, "Oi, you think we could cover the bridge in turf and graze some cows on it?" Or did someone lose a bet?

At least there's a reason for dyeing the Chicago River every year.

I should be fined for overuse of question marks.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
Yeah! Talk about lame.. I totally agree Bruce.
Well, it looks like a good party, I just think it could have been more inclusive. But I guess if opened it up too much, it would look like a Toyko subway at rush hour.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
birdclaw
putting the "g" in flight

So let me get this straight, this wasn't a benefit for anything? Green space awareness, dingo fence extension, tourist attraction? Just a party for the lucky few? Seems like a waste to me.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Publicity, tourism, attracting attention to Sydney and the bridge.
Maybe enticing people to take the multi-hour guided tours?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

The event was part of the Crave Festival which the people of Sydney seem to enjoy. We have a similar one here in Brisbane called the River Festival. We don't block off our bridges, but the government does pay for a fantastic fireworks display which I'm betting costs more than the bridge excercise in Sydney.

Most cities do things like this in the name of entertainment or tourism or a bit of both, and let's face it, regardless of whether you think it was a good or bad idea, it's got people all over the world talking about Sydney.

It was a lucky dip. People got to register for the event and then the lucky names were pulled out of a hat, so anyone who wanted to go had an equal chance of being there. Seems pretty fair to me. They didn't have to pay to register. Better than any raffle I've paid to be in. So a lot of people didn't win. Better luck next year maybe.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Wrong kind of grass...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
casimendocina
Professor

It's possible to walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge almost anytime and the view is fantastic. Taking a train which uses the Bridge to get to the North Shore is also really worthwhile.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Kris
Drawn Druid

My wife and I did the bridge climb last year... an amazing experience!

Once your over the nerves (and the realization there's no bathroom breaks for three hours), all is well

Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks Kris, that answers my question. The pictures in the bridge climb gallery shows everyone wearing the same thing, so I wondered if they were all guides, or they supplied clothing.